Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Painting Bought for $9.99 at Goodwill Valued at $15K
7/26/2012 8:49:24 PM
Hi Miguel and Roger,

Yes, with the both of you. I am learning about art and I do appreciate your input. Keep it coming.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/30/2012 10:19:29 PM

Hi Miguel,

I've been thinking about this since you started this thread last week, I'm a big fan of geometrics, but usually I think of "art" as something that's not reproducible by any other person on earth. I've been thinking...are these works of De Stijl reproducible by anyone with a straight-edge and the same colors?

Then I thought, the person who created this had a focus and a passion for his work, he believed in the "art" of geometrics.

Other people may be able to reproduce the image, but the original has the passion of the artist.

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/31/2012 12:17:31 AM
Quote:

Hi Miguel,

I've been thinking about this since you started this thread last week, I'm a big fan of geometrics, but usually I think of "art" as something that's not reproducible by any other person on earth. I've been thinking...are these works of De Stijl reproducible by anyone with a straight-edge and the same colors?

Then I thought, the person who created this had a focus and a passion for his work, he believed in the "art" of geometrics.

Other people may be able to reproduce the image, but the original has the passion of the artist.

Hi Kathleen,

I cannot agree more with you in this regard. Even with figurative art you can reproduce any work of art and it will not make it illegitimate... as long as you are not a falsifier who tries to make them pass as originals.

By the way, reproducing great works of art was not seen a reproachable practice in the past. Great art pieces from famous masters of painting like Da Vinci or Tintoretto would be widely reproduced or imitated by their disciples and even by other great artists of their time. Of course, not always were
they able to accomplish the same degree of perfection or even similar results. This of course may not be the case with abstract or geometric art as it is usually easier to reproduce, but even so, as you say, the original will always have the passion of the artist.

Thanks for the feedback,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/31/2012 8:31:55 AM

Great comments folks.

As I have said before, I enjoy blocks of colour if the colours have been well thought out in the process.

A blank modern house wall with a "statement" is great asnd if it has a little more intricate things better.

I love Mondrian stuff which at the time was different to what had been done before.

What a great stained glass window this would make.

Wonderful, we all have different taste but it doesn't stop us being ripped off by the clever rubbish artist.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!