Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE HUDSON RIVER SCHOOL - THOMAS COLE
6/1/2012 1:42:13 AM
Quote:
Hi Miguel and Roger,
You tell who the artists are here, because I thought this maybe at sunrise. How the light fog is lifted when the sun finally shines through. Or is it what the observer sees? Different strokes for different folks

Quote:
Hi again friends,

How do you like this one? Not a specifically known landscape, but maybe a composition made from different views sketched during Thomas Cole's trips as I read most of the Hudson River School artists used to do.

Thomas Cole - The Subsiding of the Waters of the Deluge (oil on canvas, 1829)

Hi Myrna,

I guess the moment the deluge began subsiding must have been pretty much like this beautiful depiction of it by Thomas Cole. Like the moment the darkest part of the night, a little before dawn, gives place to the first rays of light in the morning.

And along the same lines, to me, this master piece again evidences Thomas Cole's special concern with the cyclic ages in Earth's history, particularly the transition from a darkest, Iron age, into a new, Golden age.

On another note, what I find particularly exquisite is the increasingly translucent and delicate hues he uses to depict the mountains as they must have appeared in the far distance at that moment, again, pretty much like how the sun's rays begin to illuminate the sky in the horizon at dawn.

Note that this all-important area is located at the center of the entire composition. Like in other works by him, the other elements surrounding it are just subordinated parts in the work.

But I think you are right when you say it is what the observer sees. Other observers may view those surrounding elements as equally important (not me).

Hugs,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/3/2012 11:01:26 AM

Two exquisite views of Mount Aetna painted toward the end of his life

Thomas Cole - View of Mount Aetna (oil on canvas, circa 1843-1844)

Thomas Cole - Mount Aetna from Taormina, Sicily (oil on canvas, 1844)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/3/2012 6:25:22 PM

Magnificent.

These are both very different.

The light is very different.

In the second one the mountain is WONDERFUL, you can hear the distant rumble of the volcano.

Roger

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/3/2012 6:59:07 PM
Hi Miguel and Roger,

Thomas Cole never lost his ability to paint, even at the end. These 2 are lovely. I like the way he always put the people in his paintings. I could feel they were in deep thought, or maybe meditation.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/5/2012 12:01:00 AM

You both are right, Roger and Myrna, each in their own way since no matter how much the paintings differ from each other, particularly in the use of light, at the same time they are very much alike, with the presence of Mount Aetna, the ancient ruins and human figures attesting to it.

The use of light is so important here! Both works are great in this regard, but the second painting sort of gets you into the scene in a more dramatic fashion by resorting to a greater contrast between the background elements - the volcano and the distant scenery - and those on the foreground.

Here I must rectify my previous assertion that in Thomas Cole's landscapes the surrounding elements are always less significant than the central one, as at least in these two particular paintings they all seem to be equally important.

I must applaud your comment, Myrna, regarding the people in both of these masterworks. I guess they are not just thinking everyday thoughts, they must be immersed in deep thinking o even meditating as you so aptly put. The view is awe-inspiring, the air must be delicious up there... wow.

Once again, thank you friends

Miguel

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!