Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donggeun Yoo

2984 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Chapter Thirteen: On the Order 11
12/2/2011 1:16:42 AM
Chapter Thirteen: On the Order 11

At the Seoul Temple, the Founding Master asked Yi Wanch’ŏl to help him schlep his luggage to the train station. Wanch’ŏl replied, “Not only am I currently managing a dozen laborers in repairing the temple building, but this also might affect my dignity as a minister (kyomu).” The Founding Master then asked Oh Ch’anggŏn to schlepp his luggage, instead. When the Master returned, he asked Wanch’ŏl, “What do you think about how you handled this matter earlier?” Wanch’ol replied, “I don’t think there was too much wrong with it.” The Founding Master said, “The reasons you gave then are not wholly groundless. But if, after disobeying your teacher’s order out of shame about schlepping a piece of luggage, you are not terribly concerned about your behavior, how can you say that this reflects the original duty of someone who has taken a vow in our order? Not only that, but with such a mind, how can there be any promise of your becoming a great public servant who widely saves myriads of living beings?” The Master severely reprimanded him, saying, “If you cannot overcome such an attitude, then go back to your own home.” Wanch’ŏl repented and from then on continued with the practice of maintaining no false pretenses out of worries about his dignity.
WARNING: A new immensely powerful viral marketing system has been released, which allows marketers to broadcast messages directly to people's desktops. Learn more about it here: http://www.DesktopLightning.com/ohmmani
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!