Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Grocery List for Heart Healthy Eating
8/18/2011 11:41:32 AM

Basics of Heart-Healthy Eating
A heart-healthy diet is actually pretty easy to follow. Basically, heart-healthy eating means less fat, less sodium, fewer calories and more fiber. Read the nutrition labels on foods and use the following guidelines:

•Select foods that are low in saturated and trans fats. Focus on lean meat, seafood and dairy products.
•Keep total fat low — between 20% and 35% of your total calories — and get most of the fat in your diet from heart-healthy oils, such as olive oil.
•Foods from plant sources — vegetables, fruits, grains and some oils — do not contain cholesterol. The bulk of your diet should come from these foods.
•Eat foods high in heart-healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, nuts and flaxseed.
•Eat foods low in sodium. That includes most fruits and vegetables, whole grains, low-fat or non-fat dairy products and moderate amounts of lean meat.

Heart-Healthy Oils
Instead of saturated fats like butter that are solid at room temperature, use monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil or canola oil; and polyunsaturated fats that come from nuts, seeds and nut oils. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats can help reduce your total blood cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the “bad” kind). Olive oil and nut oils, such as walnut oil, also provide great flavor.

Grocery list:

•Olive oil
•Nut oils
•Sesame seeds
•Unsalted nuts
Whole Grains
Whole Grains Pastas and breads made with whole grains are high in nutrients that promote heart health and help regulate blood pressure. They’re also high in fiber, and studies show that increasing the amount of fiber in your diet may also reduce heart-disease risk.

Grocery list:

•Oatmeal
•100% whole-wheat bread
•Brown rice
•Unsalted nuts
•Baked whole-grain crackers
•High-fiber, low-sugar cold cereal
•Barley
•Popcorn
•Wild rice
Fruits and Vegetables
Fruits and vegetables contain fiber and phytochemicals — valuable plant-based nutrients — that may lower cholesterol and blood pressure and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Plan to stock up on a variety of fresh, frozen and canned fruit and veggies. Select low-sodium canned vegetables and canned fruits packed in juice. Keep bowls of fresh fruit such as apples, bananas, pears and oranges on the counter. Stock up on frozen berries and cut up raw veggies for snacks.

Connect on Skype: Wanda Rawlins - Trainer/Coach/Consulting Email: 12bizbrand@gmail.com
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Grocery List for Heart Healthy Eating
8/18/2011 8:57:54 PM

Hi Wanda,

Thanks for this wonderfully, useful information. Having suffered through Congestive Heart Failure and almost dying before my time a couple of years back, I am well aware that "We are what we eat".

Thanks Again My Friend.

Thanks For Caring Enough To Share,

Phil

P.S. Pardon Smiley for sleeping through Spelling Classes

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
RE: Grocery List for Heart Healthy Eating
8/19/2011 2:21:16 PM

You are welcome Phil, this is information that everyone should be aware of.

Sorry you went through that tough time, but also glad to see you back in the crowd.

Friends

WandaSue

Connect on Skype: Wanda Rawlins - Trainer/Coach/Consulting Email: 12bizbrand@gmail.com
+0