Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Why are the visual arts so important?
1/16/2011 4:59:20 PM

You may remember my forum which is suspended until visitor numbers increase following Christmas/new year holiday period.

http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/forum/539792/CreativeDesign.aspx?flag=131286465

This is a sister site dedicated to discussion anD AN UNDERSTANDING of visual arts in the 21st century

Nobody is excluded here. the arts are for all. nobody should feel that the arts are for a privileged few

The Visual Arts

WHY ARE THEY IMPORTANT?

What are they anyway?

This forum is dedicated to preservation of the visual arts and the inclusion of neglected aspects of worldwide cultural activities that rely upon sight for their impact.

Our sympathy must go out to those with little or no sight who cannot share all of the joy that these objects or activities bring to humans the world over.

The visual arts are those creations we can look at, such as a drawing or a painting. Here is a partial list:

• drawing
  • painting
  • sculpture
  • Any one of these disciplines is a type of visual art.

• architecture
  • photography
  • film
  • printmaking

And the decorative arts of

• ceramics
  • furniture and interior design
  • jewelry making
  • metal crafting
  • wood working
  • +0
    Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    RE: Why are the visual arts so important?
    1/16/2011 5:28:07 PM

Hi Roger,

Visual impact is the most dramatic sense we have, and it's instant. What we see affects almost everything we do.

People respond to gender, colors, attractiveness, smiles, radiance, such as portrayed in some of the artworks in art forums, the paintings that have sun or radiance or bright colors are perceived as more beautiful.

People respond to light, color, radiance. Tiffany lamps were created shortly after the invention of the lightbulb, and are still a top-selling item worldwide. Colored crystal jewelry is also a top seller. Anything that catches the light and radiates vibrance is always popular.

Gender is also a factor in sales, obviously, youth and gender and attractiveness have been the key focus in high-end sales such as on TV commercials and magazine ads for cars.

For example, someone wanted me to join a business, and the site had a beautiful woman on it, but the text was very dull and there wasn't much pull-factor, so I asked him, what if the image of the woman wasn't there? Would anyone stay on that page for more than 5 seconds?

Another business I'm in has 2 main sites, one with a newer video of a man, and another with an outdated video and a graphic of a beautiful woman, and that's the site most men join thru, at higher amounts of investment.

Visuals are our first and foremost sense, usually outweighing all other senses, even against
    "common sense" sometimes.

+0
    Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    1/16/2011 5:51:22 PM

Kathleen,

You have hit the nail firmly on the head.

Visual impact, good or bad, is probably the strongest influence factor of all sense based input.

What concerns me is not just the old question of what is art? What is art? or What is rubbish?

Clearly art is not to be judged by the time or study spent upon an object or even just by its intended impact. This is proved by those who claim that a canvas that has been rolled upon by a person covered in paint is a work of art. Is it? Who decides?

What worries me is the integrity of art against the growth of technology. Even I could now, given the funds, produce EXACT copies of items that have the ART label.Computers can now reproduce, in exact detail a famous image.

The internet gives me a chance of producing a work of art from a photograph which echoes mosaics or brush-strokes. The effects are often good.

Sara Blow has a lady posting such pictures at this very time that are produced this way, but, she does go out and find the subject. She takes a photo, she then produces an altered form. I believe that this is art but ,when will the possibility of producing such images make it feel unescessary to produce an image with paints etc.?

Does it matter?

Opinions please.

(invite others that you know from beyond Adland to come and share views.)

You can see a good description of the Visual arts here:

http://arthistory.about.com/cs/reference/f/visual_arts.htm

+0
    Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    1/16/2011 6:14:47 PM
    Hi Roger,

Interesting forum, I will return with something sooner or later. I do have some talent. lol

Hugs,
    Myrna
    LOVE IS THE ANSWER
    +0
    Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    1/16/2011 7:08:48 PM

Thanks Myrna,

Your Native Americans have some visual arts to display and you have done your bit towards understanding.

Roger

+0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!