Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
11/20/2017 10:09:23 AM

TRUMP'S WAR ON CRIME: U.S. GOVERNMENT ARRESTS 200 MS-13 GANG MEMBERS IN CENTRAL AMERICA AND AT HOME

BY

A major crackdown led to the arrest of more than 200 alleged members and associates of the international street gang, MS-13, officials announced Wednesday.

“Today I am pleased to announce the arrest of 267 MS-13 gang members and associates in conjunction of ICE’s most recent targeted anti-gang effort known as 'Operation Raging Bull,'” Acting ICE Director Thomas Homan said, NBC News reports.

The Mara Salvatrucha gang, or MS-13, began in the 1980s in Los Angeles. Since then, the FBI said its spread to 46 states, according to the BBC. Its members—which Trump has referred to as “animals”—have also spread to Canada, Mexico, and Central America.

Suspected members of the gang MS-13 remain handcuffed under custody at Isidro Menendez Justice Court in San Salvador, on September 12, 2017. Security forces in El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala on Monday and Tuesday arrested more than 1,000 suspected gang members and seized 35 properties, after discovering the gangs were using small businesses they extorted to also launder money.MARVIN RECKONS/AFP/GETTY IMAGES

Trump--who hopes to "destroy" the violent gang--came one step closer, as authorities announced the conclusion of the second phase of "Operation Raging Bull." The first part of the operation involved an 18-month investigation, which led to the arrest of 53 individuals in El Salvador.

The second phase was conducted across the United States from Oct. 8 to Nov. 11. It resulted in 214 arrests—including 16 U.S. citizens and 198 foreign nationals— with alleged MS-13 ties, Reuters reports. Among the foreign nationals, 5 were legal residents. Criminal charges against them include murder, aggravated robbery, racketeering, narcotics trafficking, firearms offenses and assault, the Los Angeles Times reports.

On Friday, President Donald Trump tweeted about the federal crackdown: “Together, we're going to restore safety to our streets and peace to our communities, and we're going to destroy the vile criminal cartel, #MS13, and many other gangs…” he wrote, accompanied by a link to an article, as well as, a news conference video clip.

Together, we're going to restore safety to our streets and peace to our communities, and we're going to destroy the vile criminal cartel, , and many other gangs...

'Hundreds arrested in MS-13 crackdown'http://45.wh.gov/MS13Crackdown

A few weeks ago, Attorney General Jeff Sessions deemed the MS-13 a priority for the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Forces (OCDETF).

“Now they will go after MS-13 with a renewed vigor and a sharpened focus. I am announcing that I have authorized them to use every lawful tool to investigate MS-13—not just our drug laws, but everything from RICO to our tax laws to our firearms laws,” Sessions said to the International Association of Chiefs of Police in Philadelphia on Oct. 23.

Despite the hundreds of arrests, there’s still more work to be done.

“This is a great operation, but we are not done,” Homan said, NBC News reports. “And we will not be done until we totally dismantle this organization. The President of the United States has made this a priority and ICE joins him in this.”

(newsweek)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/20/2017 10:56:01 AM

World War 3: China and Russia prepare to SHOOT down US missiles in North Korea stand-off
CHINA and Russia are preparing to shoot down US missiles as tensions mount over North Korea.

The two states will hold anti-missile drills in Beijing next month as fears continue that Pyongyang’s nuclear ambitions could spark
World War 3.

China and Russia have both opposed to the basing of the cutting-edge US Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) system in South Korea,

Seoul and Washington insist the system is required to defend against the threat of North Korean missiles.

But China, along with Russia, has repeatedly expressed opposition to the deployment, saying it will do nothing to help ease tension with Kim Jong-un’s sabre-rattling regime.

Russia and China are holding drills

China also fears THAAD’s powerful radar system can look deep into is territory, undermining its security.

China’s Defence Ministry said in a statement that drills would take place from December 11 to December 16.

The aim of the exercise was to jointly practice defence against missiles and how to handle “sudden and provocative attacks on the two countries’ territories by ballistic missiles and cruise missiles”, the ministry said.

Without elaborating further, it said: “The drill is not aimed at any third party.”

Tensions are mounting with North Korea

While China and South Korea agreed last month to move beyond their year-long stand-off over THAAD, a dispute that has been devastating to South Korean businesses that rely on Chinese consumers, China has stuck to its opposition to the system.

China and Russia have close military and diplomatic ties, and they have repeatedly called for a peaceful, negotiated solution to the North Korea nuclear and missile crisis.

Yesterday, North Korea ruled out negotiations with Washington as long as joint US-South Korea military exercises continue.

Han Tae Song, North Korea's ambassador to the UN in Geneva, brushed off the new sanctions which the Trump administration has said it is preparing.

He warned: “As long as there is continuous hostile policy against my country by the US and as long as there are continued war games at our doorstep, then there will not be negotiations."

"There are continued military exercises using nuclear assets as well as aircraft carriers, and strategic bombers and raising such kinds of military exercises against my country.

“The DPRK, my country, will continue to build-up its self-defence capability, the pivot of which is nuclear forces and capability for a triumphant strike as long as US and hostile forces keep up nuclear threat and blackmail.

"Our country plans ultimate completion of the nuclear force,”

South Korea and the US agreed on Friday to keep working for a peaceful end to the North Korean nuclear crisis.

But a US envoy said it was difficult to gauge the reclusive North's intentions as there has been "no signal".

(express.co.uk)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/20/2017 4:09:06 PM

THE U.S. MILITARY IS BUILDING A FLEET OF STAR TREK-INSPIRED 'SHADOW' BOMBERS INVISIBLE TO RADAR

BY

The Pentagon is developing a new fleet of shadow bombers that possibly disappear on radar like those featured in Star Trek movies.

The unit of B-21 stealth bombers, a futuristic combat aircraft, are being created at a secret desert plant in Palmdale, California, after the company Northrop Grumman won the contract for their development two years ago, The Times reported.

The U.S. military has sanctioned the development of around 100 of the bat-like bombers for as much as $80 billion. The precise amount remains top secret.

More than a thousand employees are working to construct the bombers at the facility, some of whom are working out of makeshift tents. Thousands more workers are expected to join to accelerate the construction of the B-21s.

The shadow jets are expected to replace the B-52, B1-B and B-2 bombers within years. The jet takes a similar bat shape to the B-2 and would be able to partly make itself invisible.

A U.S. flag flutters in the wind beside a B-2 Stealth Bomber at the Palmdale Aircraft Integration Center of Excellence in Palmdale, California on July 17, 2014, where the U.S. Air Force and manufacturer of the B-2, Northrop Grumman, celebrated the 25th anniversary of the B-2 Stealth Bomber's first flight.FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP/GETTY

The development comes as the U.S. military finds itself embroiled in potentially more overseas conflicts under President Donald Trump. He has sanctioned a ramping up of strikes against the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) in Iraq and Syria, as well as against ISIS and the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Trump has engaged in a war of words with North Korean despot Kim Jong Un, threatening an outbreak of conflict on the Korean Peninsula, and continues to use bellicose rhetoric in his comments on the Iranian regime and the nuclear agreement signed with world powers in July 2015.

The Palmdale site also produces Northrop’s surveillance drones for the U.S. military and the MQ-4C Triton drone used by the U.S. Navy to monitor the high seas.

Earlier this year, Russia revealed its very first stealth fighter jet, the Sukhoi Su-57, or what the Russian press refers to as the “Ghost.” Russia estimates that the model will be operation next year.

In recent years, China has also shown off its J-31 stealth fighter in a bid to demonstrate the progress of its high-end arms development.

But the U.S. remains the only country with operational stealth aircraft. And according to experts, much of the U.S. Air Force’s budget on such jets is going into the accounts of Northrop.

Mike Blades, a securities analyst with research consultancy Frost & Sullivan, told theAssociated Press that as much as 50 percent of the $2 billion budget for B-21s in 2018 is being put through the company. “It is going to be a big deal for a long time,” he said.

(newsweek)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/20/2017 4:27:10 PM

RUSSIAN MILITARY MOUNTS MISSILES NEAR NATO BORDERS IN CENTRAL KALININGRAD

BY

The Russian navy has put on an unusual show of military muscle, displaying some of its newest arms and missile kit in the main square in its westernmost big port city, Kaliningrad.

Kaliningrad has no land link with mainland Russia and is sandwiched between NATO members Poland and Lithuania. The two are among Russia’s most critical neighbors, who have repeatedly requested that the alliance helps them reinforce, in the wake of the swelling budget of Russia’s much bigger military.

Russia's Baltic fleet mounted several missiles on Kaliningrad’s Victory Square over the weekend, deploying soldiers to act as tour guides under the banner of "defending the motherland." According to the fleet's spokesman, Roman Martov, the move was a demonstration for local residents, telling state news agency Itar-Tass on Sunday that it was in honor of the military’s annual holiday, dedicated to missile and artillery troops.

“The Baltic fleet is demonstrating to Kaliningrad’s citizens and guests of the city the modern equipment of rocket and artillery troops of the ground, coastal and air defense forces,” Martov said. According to him, the exhibit featured coastal defense arms such as the Bal and Bastion missile systems, Russia’s newest S-400 Triumf air defense missile system, the truck-mounted Grad missile system and the anti-aircraft artillery gun Pantsir-S1.

A military orchestra also marked the service holiday of artillery and missile defense servicemen, playing and marching through Victory Square on Sunday.

A Russian BTR-82 armored personnel carrier on display in the city center of Kaliningrad.MINISTRY OF DEFENSE OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION

The placement of such a display of military might in Kaliningrad is notable for its proximity to two NATO member states. Since Moscow’s annexation of Crimea from Ukraine—another ex-Communist state—in 2014, tensions in the Baltic region have risen, with fears among neighboring countries that their territory could be the Kremlin’s next target.

Russia has upgraded Kaliningrad’s combat capabilities since, and military traffic in Baltic waters and airspace has grown increasingly tense. The Kremlin has repeatedly accused NATO of acting aggressively by rotating foreign troops in Moscow's former sphere of influence. The alliance has deployed four battalions across Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, as well as rotating other forces there during military drills.

The city’s new open-air exhibition in part flaunts the new additions to the arsenals of local forces but is also designed to promote recruitment in the armed forces. The Kremlin announced last week that it hopes to have over a million troops in its ranks in 2018—a target experts estimate it has consistently missed in the past.

People in Kaliningrad can now view the kit on display, and soldiers will answer questions about the realities of military life, Martov said. Next to the imposing equipment, there is a sign-up desk for military service. The recruitment point runs alongside this and other exhibitions of military prowess on Victory Square this month. The series of events runs under the title inspired from a popular line in a Soviet war film, during which a commanding officer convinces a conscript in his platoon that he can make a career out of “defending the Motherland.”

(newsweek)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/20/2017 4:52:15 PM

Women and children at a sit-in protest against the Imider silver mine in 2012. ABDELHAK SENNA / Staff / Getty Images

BEYOND THE WALLS

Miles away from the U.N. climate talks, local movements demonstrate what’s really at stake

Atop a foothill on the southern edge of Morocco’s Atlas Mountains, an indigenous community has held what is believed to be one of the longest sit-in protests in history, blocking a pipe at a silver mine. Their prerogative is simple and familiar, especially in recent months: Protect their source of water, keep the pipe shut.

I learned of the protest when I attended the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Marrakech, Morocco, last year. The atmosphere at the meeting was hopeful — the gathered were still on a high from the Paris Accord, which was agreed to at the previous year’s Conference of Parties (COP) in the French capital. Even Donald Trump’s election couldn’t dampen most participants’ optimism for a future that would better protect communities vulnerable to disastrous environmental impacts.

Yet just outside the official talks — where Morocco was being credited with building solar fields and green mosques — local activists criticized the conference for its official partnership with the company Managem, which operates the silver mine at Imider, 200 miles east of Marrakech.

Residents of the seven villages of Imider — mostly Amazigh people, an indigenous group across north Africa also known as Berbers — claim that the nearby mine has depleted their underground water reserves. And they worry that contamination is causing recent instances of cancer and miscarriages among villagers.

“This is a contradiction because it’s Managem,” Omar Ouadadouch told me at his hilltop camp next to the mine pipeline. “It’s part of polluting this earth by extracting and using many chemical substances — many things that impact the earth, humans.”

Ouadadouch and others, including activist groups protesting at this year’s COP in Bonn, Germany, say the climate conference has “greenwashed” environmental injustices — and that the struggles faced by communities just outside its doors can illustrate what’s really at stake when the world meets to decide how far we’ll go to hold polluters accountable.

In 2011, Imider residents shut off a main water pipe leading to the Managem silver mine, the most productive in Africa. Next to the pipe valve that’s chained shut, the Amazigh activists built tiny stone and plaster homes and took up residence. They’ve been there for seven years — long enough to set up a working solar panel donated by an NGO. Managem has since found another route to supply water to its mine and continues to ramp up its production of silver each year.

Ouadadouch and others say that the mine has pulled extensively from the underground canals that villagers rely on to supply water to their homes and farming. The silver mine reportedly uses up to 12 times as much water as the villagers consume daily. And this is all taking place in a region where one of the most dangerous effects of climate change is drought.

The pipe valve that the Berbers at Imider chained shut sits in front of several makeshift homes set up as part of a years-long protest. Justine Calma

Water contamination is also a worry. The mine at Imidir uses cyanidation — a process used to extract gold and silver from low-grade ore. It’s a controversial method that’s banned in some countries and U.S. states because of its potential to contaminate nearby water sources. It’s legal in Morocco, however, and Managem says it complies with national regulations. The company also maintains that it tests the water regularly and has never come across any problems.

When I visited Managem’s booth inside last year’s climate conference, I spoke with Ismail Akalay, the company’s general manager of mining. He claimed that Managem had gone through 17 rounds of negotiations with the activists — but that Omar and his fellow villagers weren’t interested in coming to a viable compromise.

Omar and other villagers refuse to abandon their sit-in until they are assured the mine will operate in a way that protects the area’s natural resources. They don’t actually want to shut the mine down. They want to coexist, and they hope the mine can operate safely and sustainably while providing more jobs for local youth.

An hour’s drive outside of Bonn, where this year’s U.N. climate talks are wrapping up, the entire village of Immerath — down to the bones in its cemetery — is being bulldozed over to make room for a coal mine.

Forty percent of Germany’s electricity is still generated by burning coal, and this year’s climate talks opened as thousands of protesters occupied the Hambach lignite mine. Hambach and nearby mines produce a yearly output of 30 million tons of brown coal, an even dirtier fuel than black coal.

“Mining and the use of brown coal is destroying people’s home,” Antje Grothus of the Climate Alliance Germany said in a statement released during the Bonn COP. “It is the most climate-damaging energy source fueling climate change. It cannot go on this way.”

Grothus used the occasion of the conference to try to bring attention to the damage coal mining wreaks on villages like Immerath. Imider’s residents took the same opportunity to tell their story to a global audience in Marrakech the previous year.

Fadma El Khalloufi made the journey from Imider to Marrakech to protest. “We discovered many kinds of allergies we never discovered until the mine was there. Cancer as well, five women died from cancer recently,” the then 57-year-old woman told me through a translator. “There is no hospital, there is no ambulance. And whenever a woman gets sick there they have to take her to a far big city.”

A year later, the Berbers near the silver mine are still demonstrating. On Sunday, roughly 400 people joined in a march with Imider’s activists. They are now concerned because Managem announced this year that it plans to up its silver production from 250 metric tons to 300 metric tons by 2020.

The Imider group claims to represent 8,000 residents among its seven local villages, but they’re now connected to movements around the world — including Native Americans who protested at Standing Rock and and met with mine demonstrators while attending the Marrakech summit. Whether or not the decision makers whom activists from Imider to Immerath target turn a blind eye, the people involved in fighting for injustice globally do hear each other.

“For us, and toward other protests,” a spokesperson for the Imider camp told me Tuesday, “we declare our solidarity with all social movements and resistances.”

This story was reported with support from The GroundTruth Project, a media nonprofit dedicated to developing a new generation of journalists and to adding increased knowledge and understanding on critical global issues through enterprise journalism.

(GRIST)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!