Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
5/25/2017 10:24:49 AM

NJ Emergency Alert System Accidentally Activates,
Sends Nuclear Warnings to Some TVs

A nuclear power plant warning was accidentally issued for several counties in New Jersey Tuesday. (Published Wednesday, May 24, 2017)

A false alarm that went out to some people’s television sets Tuesday might have scared some in New Jersey.

The message that was sent out said “a civil authority has issued a nuclear power plant warning for the following counties/areas.”

***FALSE EMERGENCY ALERT*** You may have seen this message on your TV tonight.There is NO emergency. This message went out in error

A short time later, the New Jersey Office of Emergency Management tweeted that the emergency alert was “false.”

It said that message went out in error.

Source: NJ Emergency Alert System Accidentally Activates, Sends Nuclear Warnings to Some TVs | NBC New York http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/False-Emergency-Alert-Goes-Out-to-

(nbcnewyork.com)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/25/2017 10:52:33 AM

UK scolds US ‘friends’ for leak of Manchester bomb intelligence

CNBC.com

Home Secretary Amber Rudd (R) arrives for a COBRA meeting in Downing Street on May 23, 2017 (Getty Images | Carl Court)

The U.K. government has criticized security allies in the United States for leaking sensitive information following the suicide bomb in Manchester on Monday.

The British Home Secretary Amber Rudd has said it was "irritating" that details about the Manchester bombing investigation were leaked and that they have been clear with Washington that it "should not happen again".

Details about the Manchester suicide bomb attack appeared on U.S. news sites before British police had publicly released them to the U.K. media.

Media outlets, including NBC, were able to publish death tolls, the attacker's name and the fact that it had been a suicide bombing.

Rudd told BBC Radio 4's Today program that she would be reviewing how intelligence is shared after the early release of the Manchester attacker's identity."

The British police have been very clear they want to control the flow of information in order to protect operational integrity, the element of surprise, so it is irritating if it gets released from other sources, and I've been very clear with our friends that that should not happen again," Rudd said Wednesday.

The Home secretary said American security services had not materially harmed the British investigation but a transatlantic complaint had been made.

"I wouldn't go that far, but I can say they are perfectly clear about the situation and that it shouldn't happen again," she added.

Last week, the
U.S. President Donald Trump defended his right to share classified intelligence with leaders of other countries.

Disclosure: Like CNBC, NBC is owned by Comcast's NBCUniversal unit.

(cnbc.com)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/25/2017 11:20:24 AM

REMARKABLE BEACH CLEANUP REMOVES
5.3 MILLION KG OF TRASH,
TRANSFORMS COASTLINE

May 23, 2017

Anna Hunt
Waking Times

This is one of the most dramatic beach makeovers, ever. Over a span of 85 weeks, resident volunteers in north western Mumbai, India, transformed Versova beach from one of the most littered to absolutely stunning. The beach cleanup removed 5.3 million kilograms of trash, which is over half of the daily garbage generated by Mumbai.

Versova beach cleanup India

Versova beach before cleanup – Mumbai, India

Versova beach cleanup effort

Versova beach after cleanup – Mumbai, India

Largest Beach Cleanup Movement in History

Local attorney Afroz Shah started this remarkable beach cleanup effort in October 2015. He received much support from Versova residents, students, businesses, and civic employees. In addition, the movement gained the attention of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).

Versova beach, Mumbai, India

Versova beach cleanup Shah

Afroz Shah at Versova beach, Mumbai, India

What became the Versova Resident Volunteers group collected over 5 million kilograms of trash, including plastic, glass and other debris. In addition to their work on the beach, volunteers cleaned up many creeks that feed into the ocean. As a result of his leadership in this cleanup effort, Shah received the UN’s top environmental award, Champions of the Earth.

Volunteers at Versova beach, Mumbai, India

Volunteers at

After 85 weeks of collaboration and hard work on the part of thousands of volunteers, Shah was able to Tweet the successful completion of Versova’s remarkable beach cleanup.

Domino Effect

The Versova cleanup movement received much global attention. Since the onset of the effort, South Africa, a few beaches in North Africa, Yemen and Southeast Asia have started their own beach cleanup efforts to reduce marine litter, reports HT.

UNEP executive director, Erik Solheim, believes the Versova beach cleanup sends a strong message to political leaders. He stated:

Apart from just collecting garbage from the shoreline, collection needs to happen at source. The government needs to educate people and provide techniques for recycling. Therefore, people living in areas where beach pollution is high can collect plastic, recycle it and sell it.

In Versova, it is now up to the residents to take care of this stunning piece of coastline. Further, the people need support from the local government to help keep debris from arriving onto the beach via other waterways. Shah stated:

The entire beach is finally clean and our efforts have borne fruit. The trash that is washing ashore is now only coming from the sea. We have asked the civic body to start cleaning the creeks before the monsoon so the beach remains tidy.

What happened in Versova is happening all over the world. Our oceans and coastlines are very polluted. We must face the reality that we are the ones littering. Thus, it is also us that need to do the cleaning. Moreover, cleanup is not enough in the long term. The best solution to ocean pollution is awareness and prevention.

Dear ocean , I love you. I love you. I love you. We want to see you fit and pure soon. Get well and free from plastic. I love you. ~ Afroz Shah

Please share this article so you may inspire others to help clean up their local waterways, beaches and parks.

Images source: https://twitter.com/AfrozShah1

About the Author

Anna Hunt is the founder of Awareness Junkie, a community paving the way to better health, a balanced life, and personal transformation. In addition, she is the proprietor of OffgridOutpost.com, an online store offering GMO-free healthy storable food and emergency kits. Anna is a certified Hatha yoga instructor and founder of Atenas Yoga Center. She enjoys raising her children and being a voice for optimal human health and wellness. Visit her essential oils store here.

(wakingtimes.com)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/25/2017 4:29:17 PM
05/23/2017 10:45 am ET | Updated 1 day ago
Virginia Woman’s Xenophobic Tirade Against Latino Man Caught On Camera

She called him a “sp*c” and said he should go “back to Mexico.”

A Virginia woman’s xenophobic rant against a Latino man was caught on camera.

The video was shared by activist and New York Daily News writer Shaun King via Facebook on Monday. In the video, the unidentified woman is on the phone telling someone who is presumably a Sprint store representative that she is in Manassas, Virginia, which she describes as “the ghetto.”

“You have probably five stores in Manassas, and none of them wanted to do anything,” she says to the person on the phone. “I’ve already been to two of them.”

A Latino man who is in the store then interjects, saying, “They have one in Fairfax.”

The woman immediately snaps back, “I wasn’t talking to you. And don’t listen to my conversation. Well, you better watch who the f**k you’re talking to ’cause I’m not the one.”

The man responds saying his name is “Juan,” possibly in jest because the name sounds like “one.”

“I don’t give a f**k what your name is,” the woman responds, pointing to her husband and suggesting that he’d fight the man. Later, as she bites her nails, she adds that she’d fight him herself.

The camera cuts away for a moment and the woman is then heard saying: “I ain’t scared of no f**king sp*c. This is my f**king country.”

After the man leaves the store, she says under her breath that he “needs to take his f**king ass back to Mexico.”

The U.S. Census Bureau’s 2015 American Community Survey showed that 44.6 percent of the Manassas City population identified as non-Hispanic white. And 33.9 percent of the population identified as Hispanic, a label that refers to ethnicity and can include people from any race.

The video had over 4.5 million views on King’s Facebook as of Tuesday. Last week, a similar viral video showed a man at a Reno, Nevada, airport calling a Puerto Rican man a “sp*c” and a “piece of sh*t” after overhearing him talking to his mother on the phone in Spanish.

Sprint’s president and CEO Marcelo Claure addressed the incident in a blog on the company’s website on Tuesday. Claure, who is Latino, said he intends to invite the woman and her husband for an open dialogue to understand what “drives comments and behavior like this.” He also plans to invite the Latino man in the video to meet with him.

“This kind of behavior is not tolerated in any Sprint workplace,” he says in the blog. “We value our diverse customer base and thousands of minority employees. We will confront head-on those who violate the respect that our customers and employees deserve.”

This article has been updated with a response from Sprint’s president and CEO.

Clarification: This article initially cited statistics from a Manassas City demographic report that indicated 72 percent of the population of the city identified as white, and 33 percent as Latino, but did not indicate that some overlap exists between the two groups. The article has been updated with data from the U.S. Census that indicates the percentage of people in Manassas City
who identify as non-Hispanic white.

(huffingtonpost.com)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/25/2017 4:59:51 PM

BRIEFLY

Stuff that matters

TRIPLED THREAT

The sea is rising three times faster than we thought.

Global sea-level rise before 1990 was smaller than previously thought — which means all the sea-level rise we’ve observed since 1990 has been happening much faster than we knew, according to new research published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.

The backstory: Before satellites, sea-level measurements were all over the map, literally — scientists used local tide gauges to tell how fast the sea was rising in that particular location. Problem is, those changes vary widely from place to place, which makes finding the global average very tricky.

The new research in PNAS reexamined these measurements and found that before 1990, the global sea-level rose about 0.42 inches per decade. Then from 1993 to 2012, global sea level started rising 1.22 inches every decade — triple speed.

Lead author Sonkë Dangendorf says the faster rate is likely due to new meltwater from the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets plus the thermal expansion of the warming ocean itself.

Sea-level rise will likely continue to accelerate this century, Dangendorf told the Washington Post, but human actions (cough, Paris treaty, cough) still have a lot of power to determine how much, and how fast, it rises.

+1