Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donggeun Yoo

2984 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Inner Spiritual Revolution
5/8/2010 1:26:26 AM

Inner Spiritual Revolution

Humanity has evolved through many different kinds of revolutions including scientific, material, political and social revolution. However, spiritual revolution is much needed in our world today. The challenge is how to balance between the scientific material revolution and the inner spiritual revolution. Our search for happiness and fulfillment of our potential becomes increasingly complex and unproductive. We have tried so many things and looked in so many directions that we hardly know what we want any more. In addition, the demands and responsibilities of life are so great that they absorb all of our time, energy and resources. Thus frustration, exhaustion, anxiety and dissatisfaction with life are found everywhere.
We began to recognize the importance of the inner life and spiritual development of humanity. We Won Buddhist practitioners are engaging in a slow process of an inner spiritual revolution initiated by the Buddha and reaffirmed by Sotaesan. Gautama Buddha went through the inner spiritual revolution with much anguish, intense struggle to find ways to end human sufferings. His final process of inner revolution was through meditation. He found the answers for what he was searching.
Sotaesan also went through this inner revolution with much agony and struggle. His enlightenment confirmed that we have potential for the inner revolution to uncover the Buddha within us. The good news is that we have the power, strength, wisdom and compassion within us. He envisioned building a paradise on earth through this inner spiritual revolution.
First, the inner spiritual revolution begins with critical thinking. Buddha and Sotaesan had critical thinking skills when they encountered human affairs including birth, aging, illness and death. We need to cultivate critical thinking skills within a holistic and ethical paradigm. We have to think independently, wholesomely and ethically. They encouraged us to have an inquiring mind and warned us not to have a blind faith. It is not easy to think for yourself and question everything. It is easier to believe in someone. Unfortunately I have an example of not practicing this critical thinking with my doctor. My health problem began by placing blind faith in my doctor and taking wrong medications based on his misdiagnoses of a brain tumor. Now I'm paying a high price with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The lack of critical thinking skills and blind faith harm us and we suffer as a result.
We have to be alert with critical thinking skills encountering all information, belief, custom, tradition and religion. If children internalize oppressive belief and custom, they suffer longer. We have to teach critical thinking skills as early as possible. It is hard to correct childhood trauma. We need critical thinking to choose our own religion. Freedom of religion, conscience and thought is one of the fundamental human rights highlighted by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948. In my childhood, I learned my parents' religions; my father's Confucianism and my mother's Zen Buddhism. I could not accept their hierarchical, patriarchal values and systems. When I moved away from my family, I had freedom to choose my own religion that made sense to me.
Second, critical thinking skills lead to commitment. Gautama Buddha and Sotaesan had a strong commitment after they had critical thinking. Their commitment was so strong that they gave up everything in order to find the answers for human suffering. This kind of commitment is needed to pursue enlightenment. Commitment is a driving force to improve the quality of our lives. Our mind is a power source. The mind creates everything including happiness and suffering. There was a famous monk in Korea named Won Hyo. He was on his way to China in order to study Buddhism. One night he had to sleep on top of a mountain. He was very thirsty in the middle of the night and looked for water. It was pitch dark and he found a large bowl and drank the water. It was delicious and he went back to sleep. Next morning when he woke up and went to the same place to get water, he found out that he drank water out of a human skull that night. As soon as he found out, he began vomiting and felt sick. He thought "why last night when I didn't know what I was drinking out of, I was fine and now I have a terrible stomachache and I am disgusted?" At that moment he was enlightened that the mind creates everything. He gave up going to China and returned to his monastery and turned inward to study the mind.
It is wiser to strengthen your inner self instead of looking for external gratification. Encourage yourself instead of looking for external encouragement. Motivate yourself to practice instead of seeking for external motivation. Don't search for happiness and fulfillment from outside but look within us. See the real treasure within us. Cultivate your inner strength and power. If you rely on external power, you will have endless dependence on something or someone. Dependency does not give you freedom.
Third, commitment leads to practice. Practice is vital in our busy multifaceted modern day life. We begin our spiritual journey toward inner revolution with joyful interest and excitement. We cultivate innate wisdom, compassion and serenity since we cannot find the lasting happiness and fulfillment of our potentialities from the outside. However this inner revolution is a very long, difficult and arduous journey. Thus we need a lot of patience. In the process of inner revolution you can free yourself from yourself. You can let go of your negative thoughts. Let's go of all worries, anxieties and fears. Remember to take time each day out to relax, breath deeply and meditate. The practice of meditation creates a shelter of lasting peace and happiness. A man asked the Buddha skeptically, " What have you gained through meditation?" The Buddha replied, "Nothing at all." "Then, Blessed One, What good is it?" said the man. Buddha replied, "Let me tell you what I lost through meditation: sickness, anger, depression, insecurity, the burden of old age, the fear of death. That is the good of meditation, which leads to enlightenment."
Forth, practice increases self-awareness. Self-awareness is one of the central teachings of Buddhism. It requires the clear and single-minded awareness to see what is actually happening to us and in us by observing our minds, emotions and bodies. Be aware of what you do mentally, spiritually and physically. Socrates said, "Know thyself." How much do you know about yourself? Do you spend enough time to get to know yourself? We spend too much time getting know others and trying to please others. If anything goes wrong in your lives, it is time to evaluate why we do what we do. When you spend long enough quiet time to examine yourself, you can find the root causes of the problem. We need a period of silence in our life to examine our philosophies, update our beliefs and modify our lifestyles.
We need to pay attention to why we do what we do. According to a Zen story, a man approached a Zen master and asked, "Master, will you please write for me something about highest wisdom." The master took out a brush and wrote ATTENTION. The man asked, "Is that all?". The master then wrote, "Attention. Attention". "Well" said the man, "I really don't see much depth in what you have written." The Zen master then wrote "Attention. Attention. Attention". The man demanded, "What does the word attention mean anyway?" The master gently responded, "Attention means attention". Self-awareness is to pay precise attention to exactly what we are experiencing right now, right here, moment by moment.
Finally, self-awareness leads to transformation. We need to transform our habits and attitudes. Our everyday minds are in a state of reaction. We have to transform this kind of automatic reaction. If we are driven by greed, hatred and delusion, we will remain ignorant of our own Buddha nature. We will remain ignorant of the transitory and unsatisfactory nature of the world. We need to correct this misconception. It is possible for you to be transformed and released from suffering through a change in your perceptions. We want to grow and develop toward a state of fulfillment. It means a series of changes in us. Erich Fromm, in his book, Escape from Freedom wrote, "Life has an inherent tendency to grow, to expand and to express potentialities." It is our human intrinsic tendency to nurture and develop our potentialities. We hope to become a full human. We want to become everything that a human can become. We wish for self-actualization and self-realization. We are yearning for the truth. We aspire to be creative and good. We wish to attain enlightenment and Buddhahood. In Buddhist understanding, it is possible because each and every one of us has the Buddha Nature within us. It is possible to purify and transform greed, anger, clinging and self-centeredness.
In conclusion, we have the instinct wisdom, serenity and compassion to cultivate happiness and fulfillment of our potentialities. Inner spiritual revolution, through critical thinking, commitment, practice, self-awareness and transformation, will awaken our potentialities to find the Buddha within us and experience enlightenment. Then you yourself become the spiritual revolution.

http://www.wonbuddhism.org/

WARNING: A new immensely powerful viral marketing system has been released, which allows marketers to broadcast messages directly to people's desktops. Learn more about it here: http://www.DesktopLightning.com/ohmmani
+0
RE: Inner Spiritual Revolution
5/8/2010 2:18:25 PM
meditation is not a pair of shoes you just put on and then take off. Right thought, right action, to DO what YOU KNOW and don't be slow. The Greater Reality requires my attention.
Gregg Andely
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!