Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Doris Beaulieu

100 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Life's Ultimate Test
3/2/2010 4:08:40 PM
Life isn’t always easy. Some say life is a struggle, a challenge. We often hear the saying "up a creek without a paddle." Life can be a test, you’re either prepared or unprepared. Who we become as adults is greatly influenced by the way we are raised as children. The abilities and skills to survive and excel in this test of life are forever ingrained in us by our parents and educators. In this fast-paced ever evolving world, the prepared are able to rise to the challenges of life and fortune of success. For the unprepared, life is not so. I believe that living a sheltered life at home along with some forms of home schooling are not the best way to raise your children.

I was a sheltered child at home and attended a private school. Private schools have since improved in time, with legislation to accredit the institution and greater attendance. Home-schooling, however, has been left on the back burner without much legislation to monitor it and has turned into the private schools of the past. Who is ensuring that the home-schooled children are receiving an education that will enable them to be socially acceptable? I wrote The Torments of the Modest, Secluded Farm Life with three main purposes: to show the bonds of living a pure, simple, moral life, to display of the wake-up call of entering the cruel, harsh, world, and to serve as a learning tool for our officials holding office on the subject of home schooling.

My book paints a very clear picture of the closeness of families who live a protective, sheltered life going to a private school(which I feel is the equivilant of modern home schooling). One’s only friends are those also living under that protective blanket, or in my case, only my siblings. One is raised to believe the whole world lives this way. Individuals only speak the truth because one is taught a person is only as good as his word. It is also emphasized that everyone treats others with kindness because that is the pure, moral way to live life. I give details of how my life was lived year after year. Readers will clearly see that what is instilled in a child, be it right, wrong, or naive, becomes a permanent and lasting part of one’s being. No matter the direction life may take, make no mistake, one’s childhood mentally follows him or her throughout life, causing doubt in every move because one knows how naive he or she was raised and things are just not the same in the world he or she now must live in.

The second reason for my quest is the mental trauma of having lived a protective, sheltered life and how it hinders one entering the cruel, dishonest, harsh world as an independent adult. One is first hit with harsh language he/she can not begin to understand. The lying and cruelness of how people treat each other is enough to make him/her want to run back under that umbrella of protection. Just think for a moment, if you were raised with no conflicts in child’s play, how does one expect you to have developed the skills needed to handle adult conflict? Do you continue as you were raised and just shut up and become victims in this harsh society? Do you just run home in fear and cry? That life style creates fear and fear is a powerful thing, especially for women. An individual gets confused as to what is right and wrong in life because the world is not what he or she was raised to believe. He or she feels like there must be two different worlds and one needs to find the other, kinder one as this other world scares them to the point of total disbelief. My book, shows us all as parents the need for proper transition from one world to the other and what our home schooled children need from us in order to not only grow up physically, but also mentally. A proper transition of such would save the children from an adult life of mental therapy.

Finally, the third reason for writing my book is based on the fact home schooling regulations differ from state-to-state. Some states have no regulations at all, and with the No Child Left Behind law I feel that these ideas contradict each other. Where the states fail our children with proper accountability of education for home schoolers, the government needs to take notice, step in, and make a change. I had a conversation on one of the political sites on Myspace where a man said "I quit school at 16 because school was nothing but a waste of my time." This same man said he was going to home school his children. Can you just imagine the education his children are going to receive? And how are they going to adjust into society when they turn eighteen? Schools are all being academically measured up, but what are we doing about these failing parents? What kind of society are we creating?

In the year 2008 there were over two million children being home schooled and various forms of unschooled. Yes, you heard me right "unschooled," where counting eggs while collecting them is math. That was 2008, the numbers increase 5-12% each year. We as a nation need to wake up fast and take a real hard look at this area of education. Let my book in part be a wake-up call to the society being created and let us worry much less about stepping on toes and let us as a Nation do what is morally right for the children in our nation. Every child deserves an equal shot to an education and for this education to allow growth, not only physically, but also mentally. Read my book, The Torments of the Modest, Secluded Farm Life ISBN:1-58721-806-2 for the heads-up on the society that is being created and as a good starting point for making changes to help the children here at home in America.

Thank You,

Doris Anne Beaulieu

+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Life's Ultimate Test
3/2/2010 10:04:58 PM
My son is very verbal and thoughtful about his life and public school, violence ...

hmmmm
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Life's Ultimate Test
3/2/2010 10:09:21 PM
" unschooled. Yes, you heard me right "unschooled," where counting eggs while collecting them is math. "

I agree ... there are many kids at home ... not schooling at all ... but they are the exception ... the parents are morons ... sometimes mentally unstable as parents period ...

Home schooling should be about a quality of education ... many parents who do it are doing it because of the violence and disruptive educational environment ... and they work hard to give a better quality of education to their kids ... sometimes networking with other parents for help ... with different parents doing the teaching for certain subjects for a better quality ... and getting the home schooled kids together for sports, physical education type activities ...

if done the right way ... it is awesome !

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!