Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE DUTCH BAROQUE - JAN VERMEER
4/30/2010 9:21:51 PM

Luis,

After two long attempts to reply and freeze on the computer I am forced to be brief.

No, the great artist can portray a beautiful soul behind a face.

Beauty has many forms and the great artist can explore and present these with real skill and feeling.

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/22/2013 1:42:16 AM
Roger and friends,

I hope this fascinating video dedicated to Vermeer and the possibility that he used a camera obscura is in order here. I hope you like it.

Publicado el 08/03/2012

It has often been said that Jan Vermeer used a camera obscura to capture perspective in his paintings. Here is a short clip investigating whether this was true or not.

Music: Marc Koch - Open MInd

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/22/2013 2:33:59 AM

And we may finally close this topic with another extraordinary video showing virtually all of Vermeer's masterworks. What a treat, providing dates and locations. Had I known it before, I would had posted it long ago. With music by Enya. Enjoy it.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/14/2013 4:36:41 PM

Miguel,

As I am promoting self portraits through my forum I could not neglect Jan Vermeer. I am about to make some posts there but thought it good to bring one here.

Although parts of Vermeer's life are shadowy there is little doubt that he painted his own image.

Johannes Vermeer, Procuress

possible self-portrait of Vermeer
in the early Procuress

Several historical sources mention self portraits.

Check out this interesting link.

Self Portrait

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/16/2013 12:50:32 AM
Quote:

Miguel,

As I am promoting self portraits through my forum I could not neglect Jan Vermeer. I am about to make some posts there but thought it good to bring one here.

Although parts of Vermeer's life are shadowy there is little doubt that he painted his own image.

Johannes Vermeer, Procuress

possible self-portrait of Vermeer
in the early Procuress

Several historical sources mention self portraits.

Check out this interesting link.

Self Portrait

Thank you Roger for your interest.

This painting might of course be a self-portrait by Jan Vermeer, but unless it was left unfinished it seems unlikely to me that it was intended as such. That I know, Vermeer was a perfectionist and I don't think he would be satisfied with hiding his face in the shadow as it is now in the painting. I say, there is always the possibility that a modern art dealer backed by some "expert" pretends to make a "sensational discovery" and earn big sums of money in a sale.

In fact, I believe almost all such "great art discoveries" of recent times belong to that category. Only probable but backed by experts. Of course, I hope that is not the case now.

Hugs,

Miguel

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!