Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE DUTCH BAROQUE - JAN VERMEER
3/23/2010 10:08:33 PM
Quote:

Luis,

Another great painting.

After looking at the overall composition I am always drawn by details.

Look at the reflection of the cloth in the bottom of the dish and the inside of the lady's sleeve.

Wonderful and with the usual subtle palette.

Yes Roger, that is a good point indeed. I have always thought that one the greatest merits of the great artists of the past was to really deliver in their master works what they were supposed to deliver, i.e. excellency, despite of the usually poor means they had. The reflection in the dish is indeed a good example of it, as is the sleeve. Another is the tablecloth and in general the tapestry in several of his paintings, magnificent works of art in fact, which is a constant in Vermeer's works.

(click to enlarge)
Jan Vermeer - A Lady at the Virginals with a Gentleman
("The Music Lesson") (1662-65)

Best Wishes,
Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/23/2010 10:27:23 PM

Luis,

I am sure that it has been said many times before but it stands being said again.

As well as the messages within and the composition of a subject it was an obvious aim of many artists to reflect reality in their work. Photography freed artist to use their imagination in so called modern artforms, abstracts etc. Detail is now often not as nescessary although technology has given the artist a whole new world of macro images to play with.

Art is still a vibrant and ever changing force. We must remember though never to forget the skill and knowledge of those that laid the foundations.

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/24/2010 12:57:49 AM

Well I think I can post now the other two paintings by Vermeer that, apart from his Faith, have always intrigued me the most. One of them - The Astronomer - has already been shown by Karen, but I am showing it again below together with The Geographer - which is the other one - as they clearly form a pair. If there could be any doubt about this, both the fact that they were both painted in the same year, 1668, and that they apparently portray the same person, will dispel it. Also, at that time there was a close relationship between Astronomy and Geography.

As usual, you may click on the images to enlarge them.

Jan Vermeer - The Astronomer (oil on canvas, 1668)

Jan Vermeer - The Geographer (oil on canvas, 1668-69)

I pray you take a closer look at the painting on the wall on the Astronomer's back, as it can offer a very likely key to explaining the uncommon choice of subject in these paintings.

But I will let the
Complete Catalog of the Painting of Jan Vermeer tell about it.

"The choice of this particular painting-within-a-painting, which represents Moses in the bull rushes, was far from fortuitous. In the
Acts of the Apostles, Moses was described "learned in all the wisdom of Egypt." Such wisdom would have no doubt included astronomy in which the Egyptians excelled. Moses was also considered the "oldest geographer" for his leading the Hebrews during their exile and was the patron saint of a type of science which did not seek knowledge through observation and experiment like modern science, but in the return to old sources of wisdom in the ancient civilizations.

Moses also had a particular significance for the Dutch in as much as they considered the United Provinces a kind of new Israel, the Promised Land. Thus, with the inclusion of the Moses painting, Vermeer's
Astronomer represents two different types of 17th-century science, the modern beside the ancient.

Curiously, the same painting appears as a prop in Vermeer's late
Lady Writing a Letter with her Maid, this time, represented much larger than in the Astronomer." (See painting below)

Jan Vermeer - Lady Writing a Letter with Her Maid
(
oil on canvas, c.1670)

Best Wishes,
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/24/2010 1:07:12 AM

These are very interesting pictures. The light quality in these is particularly crisp. Again those details.

By way of contrast (or similarity) I stumbled upon this PreRaphaelite artists work and was interested to compare window/light and detail. Very different but some similarities. much more English amnd of course many years later, however, that use of side lighting is classic.

Roger

Robert Braithwaite Martineau
"The Last Day in the Old Home" (1862)
Oil on Canvas
The Tate Gallery, London

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/24/2010 1:34:03 AM
Roger,

Did you know that Vermeer's Young Lady at the Virginals with a Gentleman ("The Music Lesson") is kept in Buckingham Palace, London? There is a note in the Catalog that might interest you.

Miguel

The Music Lesson is frequently inaccessible to the general public.

It will hang in Buckingham Palace, in the State Apartments picture gallery for the months of August and September, 2010.

Buckingham Palace State Apartments information

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!