Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
5/27/2011 6:43:08 PM
Hello My Friends,

This time of year, as the Temperatures outside top the 90's and the A/C is working overtime in the Kitchen, Salad takes center stage around my house. It's fast, it's fresh, and adding a little protein makes it a complete no-fuss meal. In this dish, the chicken is crunchy, the nectarines are sweet, and the tangy dressing ties it all together. If you can't find chicken tenderloins, just look for thin cutlets, which work just as well. To make it a meal, just add some toasty Grilled Garlic Bread and finish your meal with a Raspberry Fool.

Almond-Crusted Chicken and Nectarine Salad with Buttermilk-Chive Dressing

For the dressing:

1/4 cup buttermilk
1 Tbs. sour cream
1 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. honey
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. thinly sliced fresh chives
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the chicken:

2 large eggs
1-3/4 cups sliced almonds
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 lb. chicken tenderloins, pounded 1/4 inch thick
2-3 Tbs. vegetable oil

For the salad:
6 cups torn tender lettuce (such as butter lettuce, oakleaf, Red Sails) or arugula or both
2 small to medium ripe nectarines (or peaches), halved, pitted, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Make the dressing:

In a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, sour cream, vinegar, and honey. Slowly whisk in the oil to blend. Stir in the chives and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Cook the chicken:

Lightly beat the eggs in a wide, shallow dish. Pulse the almonds and flour together in a food processor until the almonds are chopped; transfer the almond mixture to another wide, shallow dish. Season the chicken on all sides with 1 tsp. salt and 3/4 tsp. pepper. Dip one piece of chicken at a time in the eggs. Shake off the excess and dredge in the almond mixture, pressing lightly to help it adhere. Set aside on a wire rack.

Heat 2 Tbs. of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering hot. Working in batches, cook the chicken until light golden brown on both sides and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a paper-towel-lined plate when done. Between batches, remove any stray almonds from the pan and add more oil if necessary.

Assemble the salad:

In a large bowl, toss the lettuce, arugula, or both and the nectarines with about half of the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among 4 dinner plates. Divide the chicken among the plates, overlapping the pieces on top of the salad. Drizzle additional dressing over the chicken and serve. Serves 4.

Grilled Garlic Bread

Eight 3/4- to 1-inch-thick slices crusty, artisan-style bread, like ciabatta
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
1 to 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and halved
Sea salt or kosher salt

Prepare a medium-low charcoal or gas grill fire. Brush both sides of the bread with the oil and grill, covered, turning once, until golden and marked on both sides, 1 to 3 min. per side. Off the heat but while the bread is still hot, lightly rub one side of each bread slice with the cut sides of the garlic. The heat and friction from the bread will cause the garlic to “melt” into the bread. Sprinkle with salt and serve.

Then for Dessert...

Raspberry Fool

1-1/2 cups vanilla nonfat yogurt
One 10-oz. package frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup well-chilled heavy cream
4 ladyfinger cookies

Place the yogurt in a strainer lined with a paper towel and let it drain and thicken in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 1 day. Discard the liquid and set the thickened yogurt aside.

Process half the raspberries in a food processor until smooth. Transfer the purée to a fine mesh strainer and strain it into a large bowl, pressing the liquid out with a rubber spatula. Discard the seeds. Whisk in the confectioners’ sugar. Stir in the remaining raspberries.

In a chilled medium bowl, whip the cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks are formed. Gently fold in the yogurt. Fold in the raspberry mixture.

Spoon the fool into cocktail glasses and chill, covered with plastic wrap, for at least 1 hour and up to one day. Serve with ladyfinger cookies.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2011 1:57:32 AM
Hi Phil,

This last post is a lovely lunch. I am not hungry but I sure would be willing to try it .......now

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2011 10:25:45 PM

Hello My Friends,

This is the last Recipe Forum that I will be doing until after Memorial Day. I'll be spending time with my Family and at Church this Weekend and then on my Monday, we'll be Celebrating Memorial Day with the Neighborhood for the 3rd straight year. Last year there were over 20 families that attended, and we're hoping for even more this year.

For many Folks, Memorial Day is the first time each Season that they fire up the grill for a little outside food, fun, and Family festivities. Grilling up a burger that one your guests will rave about isn't exactly rocket science, but there are a few tricks to elevating your burgers to ultimate status. To prevent burgers from falling apart, turn them only once, and never press on a burger with a spatula. All you're doing is pushing all the juice out of the burger. Another trick to getting an evenly cooked burger is to put a depression in the center of each patty before you put it on the grill.

Classic Ultimate Hamburgers

Ingredients
1-1/2 lb. 80% lean ground chuck
8 oz. 90% lean ground sirloin
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 good-quality hamburger buns
6 slices dead-ripe tomato
6 iceberg or romaine lettuce leaves
Condiments of your choice

Directions

Oil the grill racks. Preheat your grill using all burners set on high and with the lid closed for 10 to 12 minutes.

Put the meat in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper; go light on the salt here because we’re going to add more. Carefully, being as tender as you possibly can, use your hands to mix the seasonings into the meat and then form it into 6 patties that are 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and slightly wider than the buns you intend to use. Take your thumb and make a good depression in the middle of each burger. Season the patties with salt and pepper. Slather some butter on the cut side of your hamburger buns.

Place the burgers on the grill, close the lid, and cook for 4 to 6 minutes. Turn the burgers and cook for an additional 4 minutes for a medium-pink doneness. If you want a well-done burger, cook for 12 to 15 minutes. They should start to feel firm when pressed. If you want to use an instant-read thermometer, do like the health inspectors do and go in through the side, not the top.

If you feel your burger is not complete without cheese, then add a slice to each patty during the last 2 minutes of cooking time. The cheese should melt nicely but not turn to liquid, and will continue to melt even after you take the burger off the grill.

During the last minute of the cooking time, add your buns to the grill, cut side down, and grill until lightly toasted.

Hamburgers are best served straight off the grill, into the bun, into your mouth. If the burgers are going to have to sit for a few minutes, place them on one platter and the buns on another instead of inserting the burger between the buns. Top each burger with tomato and lettuce, and dress with the condiments of your choice. Serves 6.

For those at your get-together who shy away from Red Meat, like myself, here's some tasty Grilled Chicken Breasts that will have them wanting your recipe.

Herbed Grilled Chicken Breasts

Ingredients
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each), trimmed and rinsed
Crushed red chile flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, flat-leaf parsley, or other fresh herb
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 6 lemon wedges for serving
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil; more for drizzling

Directions

Lightly wet a chicken breast with cold water and set it between two sheets of plastic wrap. Pound it into a broad, flat sheet about 1/4-inch thick (called a paillard), using a meat pounder, the side of a heavy cleaver, or a skillet. Pound the other breasts into paillards the same way and arrange them on a baking sheet.

Generously season each paillard on both sides with salt and pepper and a pinch or two of chile flakes. Sprinkle both sides with the garlic and rosemary. Drizzle both sides with the lemon juice and olive oil and pat into the meat with your fingertips. Refrigerate the paillards for 20 minutes while you prepare the grill.

Heat a gas grill to high or prepare a hot charcoal fire. Brush and oil the grill grate.

Arrange the paillards on the grill grate and grill until cooked and firm to the touch, 1 to 2 minutes per side. (Use a long, wide spatula to move and turn the paillards.) Transfer the paillards to a platter or plates. Drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately with lemon wedges for squeezing. Serves 6.

For a delightful and delicious side dish, try some Grilled Corn on the Cob. The butter in this dish is at once sweet and tangy, a bright addition to plain old grilled corn on the cob.

Grilled Corn on the Cob with Thyme & Roasted Red Pepper Butter

Ingredients
4 oz. (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
2 jarred roasted red peppers, drained well, patted dry, and fi nely chopped (1/2 to 2/3 cup)
1 large shallot, minced (1/4 cup)
1-1/2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper; more as needed
8 ears corn, shucked
2 Tbs. olive oil

Directions

Put the butter, red peppers, shallot, vinegar, 2 tsp. of the thyme, 1 tsp. of the salt, and the black pepper in a food processor and pulse until blended (it's fine if it's still slightly chunky and looks a little separated). Transfer to a large piece of plastic wrap and roll tightly, twisting the ends so the bundle acquires a sausage shape. (Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.) When ready to grill the corn, slice the butter into 1/3-inch-thick rounds.

Heat a gas grill to medium or prepare a low charcoal fire. If desired, cut each ear of corn in half. Toss the corn with the oil, the remaining 1 tsp. salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Put the ears on the grill and if using gas, reduce the heat to medium low. Cover and grill the corn, turning every couple of minutes, until browned all over and tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large platter, top with about half of the butter and the remaining 1 tsp. thyme. Serve, passing the remaining butter on the side. Serves 8.

Hint: If there is any leftover, for a real treat you might toss grilled shrimp with leftover Thyme & Roasted Red Pepper Butter and a squeeze of lime juice.

Finally, it wouldn't be a Barbecue without some Potatoes, however, instead of the same old Potato Salad, why not try some Grilled Potatoes for a change? By par-cooking your potatoes before they go on the grill, they'll have a soft, almost cakey texture on the inside when they're done, but they'll still have that terrific grilled flavor. The mayonnaise not only adds flavor to the potatoes, but it also helps to keep them from sticking to the grill.

Rosemary-Mustard Grilled Potatoes

Ingredients
1 lb. medium red- or yellow-skinned potatoes
Kosher salt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
freshly ground pepper

Directions

Wash the potatoes and cut them into 3/8-inch slices. Cover the potatoes with cold water and 1 Tbs. salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower to a gentle simmer (you don't want them to break up), and cook until they're almost but not quite fully cooked, 4 to 6 minutes. The potatoes will still be a little hard in the center, but the outer edges will look opaque. Drain in a large colander and rinse with cold water until they're cool; handle them gently. Spread them out on clean dishtowels and let them sit at room temperature (for up to an hour) until you're ready to grill them.

Light a charcoal grill and allow the fire to reach a medium-hot temperature (the top of the coals should be 5 to 6 inches from the grill grate, and you'll be able to hold your hand over the fire for no more than 3 to 4 seconds when it's medium hot). Alternatively, heat the entire surface of a gas grill until it reaches medium hot.

In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss the potato slices with the mayonnaise mixture until the potatoes are well-coated. Put the potatoes on the grill grate in one layer, directly over the fire. Cook for 3 to 6 minutes or just until deep golden brown and crisp. With tongs, turn the pieces over to the other side. Cook until that side is deep golden brown and crisp, another 3 to 6 minutes. Remove and serve immediately. Serves 4-6.

There you have it my Friends. A Traditional Memorial Day Cookout. For a little something different, check over at my Healthy Crockpot Cooking Forum for an alternative to standing over a hot grill this weekend. Either, way enjoy some good, wholesome Famiy Time this weekend and remember our Troops, both present and past, who made it possible for you to have this Celebration in the first place.

Have A Happy & Blessed Memorial Day My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/31/2011 8:20:24 PM

Hello My Friends,

I trust that everyone had a Safe & Happy Memorial Day Weekend. Since I assume we all ate quite well over the Holiday, I figured that we would start back today with a little something light, like Soup & a Sandwich. Both are quite tasty, and both are quick & easy to prepare. As you'll discover, I prefer to use homemade Whole Wheat Bread, however the choice of bread is entirely up to you.

We'll start off with a simple broiled sandwich, made of fresh seasonal tomatoes, highlighted with an Italian taste. It's a perfect match for some Soup, the recipe for which, immediately follows.

Mama's Best Broiled Tomato Sandwich

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 8 ripe tomatoes, sliced
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 8 slices bread, lightly toasted

Directions

Preheat oven to broil.

In a shallow bowl, whisk together the olive oil and vinegar. Marinate the tomatoes in the mixture, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, parsley, oregano, black pepper and 4 teaspoons Parmesan cheese. Spread mixture on each slice of toasted bread. Place marinated tomatoes on 2 slices and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.

Place on a baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes, or until cheese turns golden brown. Serve immediately, open faced or closed. Serves 4.

This is paired with a bowl of the easiest, quickest, most delicious, Asparagus Soup. Just be sure to use a good quality canned asparagus, and you can't go wrong. The milk and butter are optional as the soup is surprisingly rich without them.

Asparagus Soup In Seconds

Ingredients

• 1 (15 ounce) can asparagus
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup milk (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Blend the asparagus, with liquid, in a blender or food processor until completely smooth.
  2. Heat asparagus and chicken broth together in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in milk, if using, and bring to a low simmer. Stir in butter to finish, if using, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serves 4.

As I said, I prefer to use Whole Wheat Bread for the base of my Sandwiches. Some wheat breads are hard, but this one isn't.

Good 100% Whole Wheat Bread

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons margarine
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water

Directions

1. Place ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer.
  2. Select Whole Wheat or Basic Bread setting. Press Start. Yields One 1 1/2 lb Loaf - Approx. 12 Slices.

Have A Terrific Week My Friends,

Phil

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/31/2011 9:04:31 PM
lovely and delicious looking food PHIL. Thanks for posting all these recipes. it rained all weekend and we didn't even turn on the bbq ..... rats!

but i'll keep your recipes in mind for when we do have warmer weather.

pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!