Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/2/2011 10:34:05 PM
Hello Friends,

Sticking with tonight's theme of keeping it simple, here's the Veggie answer to Sloppy Joes. Edamame lightens up this black bean mixture to keep these sliders from tasting too dense.

Black Bean and Edamame Sliders

Ingredients

• 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, or 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, drained and minced
  • 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. prepared fat-free barbecue sauce, divided
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 12 small whole-wheat dinner rolls, split like buns
  • 4 oz. reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 12 slices

Directions

1. Bring small pot of water to a boil. Add edamame, and cook 10 minutes. Drain.

2. Process garlic in food processor until minced. Add edamame, black beans, chipotle chile, cilantro, 1 Tbs. barbecue sauce, cumin, and salt. Process until mixture forms coarse paste.

3. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add edamame mixture, and heat until hot, stirring occasionally.

4. Spoon 1 Tbs. barbecue sauce onto each bottom bun. Top with bean mixture, cheese, and top buns. Makes 12 sliders.

Happy Friday Everyone,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
9/3/2011 1:23:00 PM
Happy Saturday Phil, just wanted to let you know your recipe for cooking bacon is a definite keeper. No splatter, no grease popping out on me and the texture was much better than frying in a skillet. Also this recipe, that was in our local newspaper yesterday, The Knoxville News Sentinel, sounds interesting, and I will be trying it soon. Every Friday their resident chef publishes a list of recipes that readers send in and this one sounds wonderful to me.
Green Tomato Cornbread Friday, September 2, 2011
2 cups seeded, diced green tomatoes
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
2 cups self rising cornmeal mix
3 eggs
2 cups sour cream
shortening for pan
Preheat oven to 400º. Saute tomatoes and sugar in melted butter over
medium high heat until tomatoes start to brown. Place cornmeal mix in
a bowl and make a well in the center. Whisk together the eggs and
sour cream. Add to cornmeal and stir until just mixed. Fold in tomatoes. Turn into a well greased 10 inch iron skillet and bake about 25 minutes or until browned and tests done.
Turn out immediately and serve with butter if desired.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/3/2011 10:11:52 PM

Hi Mary Evelyn,

So glad that you liked the Bacon. Yes, it is a refreshing change not to have all of that grease splattering everywhere and I think that it actually tastes better this way. At least is does when I use it on Sandwiches like on a BLT or a Grilled Cheese & Tomato.

That Cornbread sounds like something for me to definitely try. Granny used to fix Cornbread in a Cast Iron Skillet as well, but she always fried it for just a few minutes before baking it, so it would have a Crisper surface on it. The Green Tomatoes are also something I've never tried in Cornbread, but if they are anywhere near as good as Fried Green Tomatoes then I'm sure that I'll love them.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the recipe my Friend.

Have A Blessed Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/3/2011 11:30:07 PM

Hi Friends,

Kick back on Labor Day with these no-fuss recipes for outdoor cooking.

Hamburgers? Yes. But basic fare? Definitely not! What a treat they are, and the wise cook will make up a dozen or so for the freezer. If you like Blue Cheese, you'll never forget these burgers.

Blue Cheese Burgers

Ingredients

• 3 pounds lean ground beef
  • 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh chives
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 12 French rolls or hamburger buns

Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, blue cheese, chives, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, salt, and mustard. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
  2. Preheat grill for high heat. Gently form the burger mixture into about 12 patties.
  3. Oil the grill grate. Grill patties 5 minutes per side, or until well done. Serve on rolls. Makes 12.

My family has been eating hot dogs this way for years. They are so much better than your average hot dog.

Killer Bacon-Cheese Dogs

Ingredients

• 12 slices bacon
  • 12 all-beef hot dogs
  • 12 hot dog buns
  • 12 slices Swiss cheese
  • 3/4 cup barbeque sauce, or amount to taste
  • 1-1/2 small red onion, diced

Directions

1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat. Lightly oil grate, and set 4 inches from the heat.
  2. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain on paper towels.
  3. Place hot dogs on grill; cook until browned, 5 to 8 minutes, turning once, or until done to suit your taste. Lightly grill hot dog buns.
  4. To assemble sandwiches, place a slice of cheese and bacon on each roll. Add a hot dog, top each with 1 tablespoon barbeque sauce, or desired amount, and red onion. Makes a Dozen Hot Dogs.

Chicken sandwiches are just great for any time of the day. Lunch or dinner makes a great meal for you to eat with your family, outside or in.

Chicken Sandwiches with Zang

Ingredients

• 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon grill seasoning (such as Montreal Steak Seasoning)
  • 3/4 cup barbeque sauce (such as Big Moe's®)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
  • 1-1/2 onion, thinly sliced
  • 1-1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
  • 6 mushrooms, sliced
  • 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
  • 6 slices Swiss cheese

Directions

1. Preheat an outdoor or indoor grill for low heat, and lightly oil the grate.
  2. Sprinkle the chicken breasts generously on all sides with the Italian and grill seasonings. Slowly cook on the preheated grill, turning every 10 minutes; brush the chicken with the barbeque sauce each time you turn it. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear. Once done, an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
  3. While the chicken is cooking, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms in the butter, stirring frequently until the vegetables are tender.
  4. To make the sandwiches, place a chicken breast on each hamburger bun half. Spoon the pepper and onion mixture overtop, and top with a slice of Swiss cheese. Cover with the hamburger bun tops. Serves 6.

This recipe from the Florida Keys has been given to almost everyone I know. It is the best marinade for chicken, and it only takes 30 minutes from prep till you can grill! It's a great blend of flavors with honey, soy sauce, and lime juice. If you have time, try marinating overnight for the fullest flavor.

Key West Chicken

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
  • 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions

1. In a shallow container, blend soy sauce, honey, vegetable oil, lime juice, and garlic. Place chicken breast halves into the mixture, and turn to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
  3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Discard marinade, and grill chicken 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until juices run clear. Serves 8.

This fresh and flavorful salad features buttery yellow corn tossed with chunks of tomato and onion with a fresh basil vinaigrette.

Summer Corn Salad

Ingredients

• 9 ears corn, husked and cleaned
  • 4-1/2 large tomatoes, diced
  • 1-1/2 large onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons white vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook corn in boiling water for 7 to 10 minutes, or until desired tenderness. Drain, cool, and cut kernels off the cob with a sharp knife.
  2. In a large bowl, toss together the corn, tomatoes, onion, basil, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Chill until serving. Serves 6.

This is a flavorful, simple way to dress up plain steamed green beans for an easy side dish that practically cooks itself while you are getting the rest of the meal together.

Easy Garden Green Beans

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 4-1/2 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1-1/2 pinches salt
  • 1-1/2 pinches ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1. Set a steamer basket insert into a large saucepan and fill with water to a level just below the steamer. Bring to a boil. Add green beans, and steam to your desired degree of tenderness, or about 5 minutes.
  2. Once the beans have cooked, transfer them to a serving bowl. Toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, white wine vinegar, and Parmesan cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove garlic slices and garnish with parsley before serving. Serves 6.

Have too much zucchini from your garden? Try this quick and delicious summer recipe using your grill.

Grilled Zucchini

Ingredients

• 2 large zucchini
  • 1/2 cup Italian-style salad dressing

Directions

1. Slice zucchini into 1/4 inch slices. Toss in a bowl with Italian dressing.
  2. Place on a hot grill and grill about 4 to 5 minutes or until nice grill marks appear and the zucchini is slightly limp. Serve and enjoy. Serves 6.

Well, this should get everyone at least started toward a successful Labor Day Cookout. Of course, no Barbecue is complete without the Baked beans, so click on over to my Healthy Crockpot thread for those. While you're at it, why not stop by Happy Labor Day and leave a few Comments as well .

Tomorrow, I'll share some of my favorite Desserts for Labor Day with you all.

Have A Safe & Happy Labor Day,

Phil

+0
9/5/2011 2:42:24 PM

Happy Labor Day Phil & Friends!!

You surely have some great recipes here for today. Any one of them would be wonderful!!

I wanted to stop by and say "Thank You" to Evelyn for sharing the Green Tomato Cornbread recipe. Wilson wanted chili yesterday and Gus stopped by for Polly & Molly to pay together. I was visiting with Gus, so Wilson started the chili - it began to smell really good and Gus decided to stay to eat. Well, I had seen the recipe and thought at the time we had just enough green tomatoes to use for that and I would love to try. I had to come back in here and print out recipe. I cooked up some to go with chili. It was delicious and all of us had some while it was hot with a little margarine. Even Molly got her taste and she loved it also!!

Gus enjoyed his chili and cornbread - even wanted to take a bowl & bread to let his friend try it. Now that is a compliment since we have yet to meet her.

Just wanted to share that little true story with you. I hope you try it Evelyn it is worth it.

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!