Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/26/2011 1:46:05 PM
Hello My Friends,

I'm not sure whether we've ever shared this Shrimp recipe before, however, it's a real favorite of mine, so if we have, here we go once more.

Lemony Shrimp Salad With Couscous

Ingredients

• 1 cup couscous
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds cooked peeled and deveined medium shrimp
  • 1/2 pound snap peas, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 3/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions

1. Place the couscous in a large bowl. Add 1 cup very hot tap water and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.
  2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, snap peas, tomatoes, basil, scallions, oil, lemon zest and juice, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and toss to combine. Serve over the couscous. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/26/2011 1:57:08 PM
Hello Everyone,

Here's a Vegetarian's Treat for this Friday's Dinner. The strands of a baked spaghetti squash are tossed with feta cheese, sauteed vegetables, olives, and basil. You can substitute different vegetables, but be sure to use ones that have contrasting colors. Yummy!

Spaghetti Squash

Ingredients

• 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
  • 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 3 tablespoons sliced black olives
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. Place spaghetti squash cut sides down on the prepared baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a sharp knife can be inserted with only a little resistance. Remove squash from oven, and set aside to cool enough to be easily handled.
  3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook only until tomatoes are warm.
  4. Use a large spoon to scoop the stringy pulp from the squash, and place in a medium bowl. Toss with the sauteed vegetables, feta cheese, olives, and basil. Serve warm. Serves 6.

Have A Terrific Friday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
8/26/2011 2:14:03 PM

Phil, that sounds delicious. We have not had spaghetti squash yet this summer and we love it!! We used to grow it but not in the past few years. Need to get one soon.

Thanks, I will try that one!

Happy Friday to you!

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/27/2011 11:46:53 PM

Hi Sara,

Glad that you liked the Spaghetti Squash recipe. I like all kinds of Squash of course, but Spaghetti Squash is definitely a favorite of mine as well.

This evening, I thought that we could do something a little different and try a little Hawaiian Chicken. Shoyu Chicken is Hawaii's answer to teriyaki chicken. Here, Chicken Thigh Meat is marinated in a sweet, spicy soy sauce marinade, grilled, and then served with rice. The word shoyu is Japanese for soy sauce. Let the chicken soak in the marinade for at least an hour, the longer the better.

Shoyu Chicken

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup soy sauce
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 2-3/4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 5/8 onion, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground paprika (optional)
  • 4 pounds skinless chicken thighs

Directions

1. Whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, garlic, onion, ginger, black pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, and paprika in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the chicken thighs, and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
  2. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil the grate.
  3. Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade. Discard the remaining marinade. Grill the chicken thighs on the preheated grill until cooked through, about 15 minutes per side. Serves 8-10.

Everyone in Hawaii has their own version of fried rice. This is the third time that I've come back to this recipe, so I know it's one that I can't do without. The flavor is outstanding.

Island-Style Fried Rice

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1 (12 ounce) can fully cooked luncheon meat (such as SPAM®), cubed
  • 1/2 cup sliced Chinese sweet pork sausage (lup cheong)
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
  • 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onion

Directions

1. Bring the rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Let the rice cool completely.
  2. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat, and brown the luncheon meat and sausage. Set aside, and pour the beaten eggs into the hot skillet. Scramble the eggs, and set aside.
  3. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, and stir in the rice. Toss the rice with the hot oil until heated through and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic powder, toss the rice for 1 more minute to develop the garlic taste, and stir in the luncheon meat, sausage, scrambled eggs, pineapple, and oyster sauce. Cook and stir until the oyster sauce coats the rice and other ingredients, 2 to 3 minutes, stir in the green onions, and serve. Serves 6.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

P.S. Check out Healthy Crockpot Recipes for more Hawaiian treats.

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/28/2011 3:33:30 AM
Hi
Spaghetti Squash is my favorite squash. I have always used the sauce on it, but this recipe sound good too. A friend and I were just talking about spaghetti squash, I am going to check on it this week. I don't know why I didn't think of planting some of this kind of squash.

Oh by the way, I have a lot of the white squash. I took most of the plants out. I wish I could give some away. They are not too popular and a lot of people turn up there noses at them. But they are great fried in cocoa nut oil and use honey on them. They are good.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!