Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Class Assignment at DeVry ~ Obituary
10/12/2009 9:02:14 PM

A guest professor at DeVry gave my evening class, the assignment of writing an obituary.  She was also a student at Agnes Scott college ( taking courses to earn a Professor degree ) and a new installment for the evening class.

The class was ALL female African Americans ( a dozen ) and the guest professor was from some small town in Georgia.  I forget the name of the town; however, I will never forget the assignment.

I could sense my classmates were appalled, when she just bluntly announced "I want you all to write a obituary; so, being the comic I am ~ to ease tension ~ I asked questions about the assignment.

• you want us to write an obituary about our life's accomplishments?
  • what date should we choose for our surmise?
  • does the content have to be facts?
  • are we to submit the assignment in regular paragraph form or newsprint format?
  • how many paragraphs?
  • do we get to read our obituary in class?

The guest professor was not pleased with my inquiries, after the ladies started giggling; she clarified the assignment by adding reasoning ~ the assignment was to help us focus on our careers. 

We were ALL employed, that is Y we were in the evening class ~ persuing Bachelors Degrees.

One evening ~ several weeks after the Obituary assignment ~ , this same professor wore unprofessional attire to class ( black joggers top & bottom and it was showered with dandruff, fuzzballs and lint ); after taking the roll, she pulled a stool from the corner of the classroom and placed it in front of her desk.  After perching, she started pulling lint from her jogging bottoms and commented:  "This is the last time I will wear black" 

My classmates and I looked at one another and I just held my head down ( silently scolding myself NOT to COMMENT ); no one said a word; then she wanted to share her delimma with having to have a "bat" exterminated from her home.

I could not keep my mouth shut, I had to ask ~ "Do you live in the mountains?"  The ladies started laughing and the guest professor interupted, "Okay let's get to work"

A week before the end of the term, students get to evaluate Professors ~ this was Ms Smalltown's first evaluation for DeVry.  Students, from the school's work/study program; entered the classroom, unannounced and handed her a note.  She read the note and told us she had to step out of the classroom so we can evaluate her.

During the evaluation, we can not talk to one another ~ the process is just like taking a certification exam.  It is timed and we have to lay down our pencils when the proctor tells us to.  At this time I had been attending DeVry over two years, professor evaluations only takes about 20 minutes; however, students are given 40 minutes.  Professor evaluations are never shared nor discussed with evaluating students.

I was also a clown in Army basic training ~ I suppose my headstone will read  ~  Jan could sure make you laugh ~ RIP

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Class Assignment at DeVry ~ Obituary
10/12/2009 10:01:33 PM

Hi Jan,

Great story.

The epitaph is good.

Feel free to make us laugh anytime.

Roger

+0
RE: Class Assignment at DeVry ~ Obituary
10/15/2009 10:57:09 PM

Thank you Roger, it would be nice to be a creature like this; in my next life.

Happy Dance

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!