Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Strange Ways to Make Money....
11/6/2005 2:03:16 AM
Hi Winston; ====================== From a business perspective, Relationship marketing is a big thing as you know. We have clients local to us that have show increases in sales (40-45%)in certain areas which are directly attributable to using our services. ====================== Can I tell you a little story? Yes? Good. A couple of years ago, Peter and I popped into a little cigar/wine/import shop that we go to for imported coffee beans. The manager happened to be helping on the floor. We buy coffee there often enough that he recognized us. That day, it was crazy busy. We had to wait quite a while to get to the front. So I commented to the manager "wow, good day today, hey?" He laughed and said yes... but those good days before Christmas really just make up for the dead days in January. Me being me, I automatically said "well, why don't you use the days like this to make sure January ISN'T dead?" He stopped and looked at me for a minute and then said "What do you mean? How?" So I said, well, here's an idea off the top of my head. Why don't you print up some postcards to look like a gift certificate. Put it in everyone's bag and say Merry Christmas. Make it for $20. Do you HAVE anything in this store for less than $20? Nope. People are people. You give them a gift certificate, and they need to use it. To not use it is like throwing money away. And worse - it's throwing away a present now, cause it's not a coupon, it's a gift certificate. You make it good from Jan 2 - Jan 31. The odd person here and there will buy the cheapest thing. But most people won't. It's psychology. They have 20 free dollars and will "add to" it to buy something they wouldn't otherwise. Especially something they *didn't* get for Christmas. And that $80 decanter isn't really $80 -- it's $60, because they have 20 free dollars. What a steal. The look on his face was priceless. I don't know how many times he said thank you. Now, I'm not saying for YOU to do this.... but you *could* craft a letter to strategically chosen local businesses telling them two things... 1) You can show them how to stimulate business in January 2) Your clients are seeing an increase in business of up to 45%. Think those two, together, would inspire a call? I do. Pitch high quality restaurants (not fast food), exclusive little stores and shops and any type of business that you think would benefit. If I was doing it, I'd send a casual type letter. Maybe even drop it off with "for the manager" written on the front of the envelope instead of a formal mailing label. Find the manager's name if you can. In the letter, I'd say something like; Hi Bob; I have an idea for you that I think would stimulate business in January. Not all businesses have the level of quality for this, but yours does. My clients are seeing sales increases of up to 45% as a result. If you're interested, call me at; 123-456-0000. If I happen to be out (busy time of year) please leave me a message and I'll call you back. Winston Scoville If you can, attach a grabber. Like this. See if you can get one of your clients to write you VERY BRIEF testimonial that includes a % of growth. In handwriting. That part is important. Like "Winston - sales are up 45% so far. Thanks. (name)" Make photocopies of that and attach it to the back of your letter with a paperclip. Drop those off where you think you can pick up a client. Give them a few days. Then call and say "Hi, it's Winston. I just wanted to check and see if you received the letter I dropped off for you." Human nature and curiosity being what it is, they'll ask you what you're talking about. Food for thought maybe... : ) Linda
+0
Question for David;
11/6/2005 2:09:37 AM
Hi David; ===================== I can tell you my own direct sales business is doing great. My market is Health and Wellness - Detox and Reflexology. I resell since I do not make the products. I have another market in web development and marketing. ===================== Aha, so you're the competition, are you? lol. Kidding. I can't design all the sites in the world, so I don't mind if there's a couple of other people out there, too. I actually do a lot of consultation, markting, etc - and the design work Peter and I pass back and forth. I'll work on strategy, pass it over to him, etc. Anyway, I digress. Mind if I ask a question? Which is the greater part of your income? I'm guessing the health and wellness. Would I be right? If so, mind if I pick your brain a little? Selling products and services are different ballgames and a LOT of people struggle with selling products. : ) Linda
+0
Re: Question for David;
11/6/2005 7:59:53 AM
Hi Linda, I am not the competition. I do the code. The graphics I try to have done by a graphic artist. The overall layout I guide, but the client is the one that picks. Now I know about you, I will send them to your site hoping the good points you make will influence them to pick their design wisely. I have only had the health and wellness business going for three months. It is not the primary source of income. It is picking up rapidly though. I know I can improve my website. I have had to ration my time that I can spend on it. I would be glad to answer any question you still may want to ask. Appreciatively,
DrDA Detox and Heal
435-616-5480 - dblack@dbresearchlc.com
Hello Healthy
No Stress
+0
Winston Scoville

536 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Strange Ways to Make Money....
11/6/2005 1:10:32 PM
Hi Linda, On the topic of letters and such. With products and services like we offer, would you recommend just a short note (such as you suggested above) or something with more detail or leading them to more detail? I guess what I'm getting at is because our time is limited to some extent to when we can speak with potential clients how much pre-qualifying should you do before you even have to speak with a potential client? Or should you pre-qualify at all? Any thoughts on this???
+0
Test and see
11/6/2005 3:04:35 PM
Hi Winston; ==================== On the topic of letters and such. With products and services like we offer, would you recommend just a short note (such as you suggested above) or something with more detail or leading them to more detail? I guess what I'm getting at is because our time is limited to some extent to when we can speak with potential clients how much pre-qualifying should you do before you even have to speak with a potential client? Or should you pre-qualify at all? Any thoughts on this??? ==================== It's always a toss up. Go short and try to arouse curiosity? Or give more details and wonder whether they'll appreciate more info, or see it as another sales pitch they don't have time for? Why not do a half dozen of each and see which brings you greater response? Testing is always the best way to find out. Keep lists so you know which kind of letter you sent to who, and then track the response. : ) Linda
+0