Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Article : Purple Koolaid and Unintentional Lies
10/26/2005 7:17:42 PM
On November 18, 1978, in the middle of a South American Jungle, 913 people lifted a glass of purple Kool-Aid mixed with cyanide, sedatives and tranquilizers to their lips - and drank willingly. It was dubbed "The Jonestown Massacre" by the media, but it was no massacre. The truly horrifying part was that over 900 people drank that poison willingly. The whispers started almost immediately. Mind control. Most people associate mind control with cults and "follow the leader" zombie people; with flowers sold in airports, flowing robes, offbeat religions and perhaps even secret ceremonies in the dark of night. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. What is mind control? The roots of mind control stem from an arm of psychology known as social psychology. Social pyschology is the science of how people behave in groups and when they are interacting with other people. We humans act quite differently when we interact with others than we do when we're by ourselves. If you're interested, you can read more about it, in simple terms, in Robert Cialdini's 1984 book, "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion." What is social proof? It's forming an opinion based on what other people are doing. We see a lineup at the same restaurant every night, so it must be good. All our friends are raving about that new movie, so we want to see it, too. Mind control, through social proof, is alive and well in the Internet Marketing Community. It works something like this; A new product appears. Suddenly, there are hundreds or thousands of people putting that product in their signature file, on their websites, in their blogs and classified ads. A lot of buzz is created. More people see it and jump on the bandwagon. Social proof. If that many people promote it, it must be good, right? More often than not, the product is total garbage. Bogus traffic or yet another "how to make money" program that isn't earning money for anyone except the person that created it - and perhaps a few of their cronies. So why are so many people promoting lousy products? Because of the commission offered, usually. The lure of money for nothing is stronger than most people can resist. Throw social proof into the mix (ie; everyone is selling it) and it's a combination too potent for many to resist. It promises good pay and "everyone" is promoting it - why not you, too? Taking a Step Back The price of cult thinking and bogus social proof is a diminished grasp on reality. It gets harder and harder to know what's right. Take a step back. Walk away from your computer briefly. Ask yourself a reality check question. Are you promoting products that have actually enhanced your life or improved your financial status? Or are you telling unintentional lies because you fell for bogus social proof? Then, decide if you want to be part of the problem, or part of the solution. If this article makes even one person take a long hard look at what they are promoting, it will have served it's purpose.
Note: When I post articles, like this one, I post them to inspire thought - and conversation, not to hear myself think. *wink* If you have any questions, thoughts, feedback or comments - please feel welcome to post them! Thanks...
+0
Re: Article : Purple Koolaid and Unintentional Lies
10/26/2005 7:45:04 PM
Great post Linda! Each of us needs to take the time to think about things, before we jump in, whether it's Internet Marketing or anything else. I've known about this (psychology was my major in school) but it didn't hurt one bit to be reminded. Thank you.
+0
10/26/2005 7:52:58 PM
Hello Linda, You're right, this article definately gets you to thinking. While reading it, I started thinking about some "other" events in history just like the one in your article, and they are to numerous to list here. Then I sttarted thinking about the rest of the article. It made me think of a remark I'd heard from my grandfather say time and time again: " There's a sucker born every minute". He spent his whole working career in Advertising (OLD SCHOOL) with a company called "Chesboro-Ponds". In fact, He was on the team that came out with the lingo for Brylcream years ago "A little dab'll do ya" I don't think he cared to much for his work just before he retired. If you look at these "Ads" now, you can see how far "Down" the ladder we've gone. I was going through all the programs I've signed up with, so far I have been using them to help promote my church site, but I'm going to be taking a "real close look at them now. Thanks for posting this subject
Steven G. Reid Wallaby Traffic CMU7 WTC W
+0
Bryan Mcheyzer

186 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
10/26/2005 8:36:01 PM
G'day Linda, WOW! You do know your "stuff":) I think the fear of missing out on the next big "thing" motivated a lot of people me included:( to join the masses. As one of my mentors once pointed out "If 98% of the population end up broke we need to do the opposite of what they do, so we do not end up like them". I have since tried to evaluate programs by their merits but being new to all this it makes it rather difficult. Who do you trust? Which "guru" is for real and who is full of it. Since I have been here at Adland I have learnt sooo much, maybe my future programs will start to produce income and get me to my goal. Thanks for the insite. Have fun Bryan
+0
Jay
Jay F

38 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
10/26/2005 8:46:13 PM
Great article Linda! I can think of a couple of sites that seem to fit this description. Luckily, they are not injestible! LOL Good commissions don't necessarily make a good product. Just because a company offers "outstanding commissions" or a two-tier affiliate program doesn't mean they provide above average products. I tried a few membership sites that I saw highly advertised by affiliates. I was shocked to realize that the sites being advertised offered no real function at all, or at least nothing special. I guess it's all about the quick cash and commissions..? Death to bogus social proof!! Jon
+0