Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Where IS Everyone This Summer?
7/10/2009 2:08:21 PM
Hey... Where are you, this summer? This is a most interesting time in history, especially for those in the "western" world, where the "solid" ground of prosperity for all has suddenly become quicksand... ugh... Just the same, this IS summer in the northern hemisphere, and we should be enjoying it, especially in the areas where it gets much colder in the winter months. This is the time for basking in the sun, whether you are at home of at the cottage. So... where are YOU enjoying summer, and how? If you're staying home this year, what are you doing to make it a memorable summer? Share the good times, here, and maybe perk up your friends at the same time! God bless, Dave
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Where IS Everyone This Summer?
7/10/2009 4:03:47 PM

Dave,

What a great idea.

Yes, despite all the doom and gloom we are still the most cossetted and looked after generation ever. I can only speak from a soft westerner's view. I know there is a whole world of deprivation out there but I believe that there is real hope.

I intend, despite a huge workload, to enjoy this summer. To date, here in the uk, we are enjoying a scorcher of a summer. I'm not one for heat but it sure beats grey, wet winter.

In Wales, about 3 hours drive away is a beautiful valley with high dams built in the late 1800's. Nearby is a farm whose owner took it upon himself to save an endangered group of Red Kites (a type of wild hawk) and has, over the last few years brought their numbers back up to the hundreds, Every day they are fed at a feeding station, overseen from hides  built for observers. My wife has booked a room at the farm. We will be going later in the summer, to visit the farm and see the Red Kites.

The scenery is wonderful there. I can't wait.

Is that good enough?

Roger

+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/10/2009 4:38:57 PM
Hi Roger, Wow! That's definitely good enough! It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful summer! Our climate here is very similar to yours, including the wet, grey winters, so I sure understand. We are also having an unusually dry and hot summer, although it is really late, and everything is way behind. I would love to see Wales. My grandparents on my Dad's side were originally from Wales, and my grandmother was fluent in the Welsh language. Enjoy your summer! God bless, Dave
+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/10/2009 4:48:53 PM

Hi Dave,

I'm home for most of this summer in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  This city has a big layer of trees over most of it...here's a link to several aerial photos, I live in the northeast quad, which is...trees.  What I do all summer? Walk every day, go outside, read a book outside, there are tons of rabbits and squirrels.  Don't know what I do, but it's all very green and relaxing.

http://www.photography-plus.com/image_pages/GrandRapids.htm

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/11/2009 12:42:52 AM

Kathleen,

That sounds good. I should learn to relax more.

I like your photos, I love American cities.

Because of planning laws (being a small island) in England we tend to limit building height except major city centres so when you approach cities density seems more obvious than height. I remember several American cities where they seem to suddenly rise from a flat plain. Very exciting.

I digress. What a great idea Dave has had here. I hope some others share.

Here is a web address for Gigrin Farm, next door to Red Kite farm where we are staying.

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/uk/gigrin-kites.html#cr

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!