Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
SUNDAY SHOWCASE_Featuring Ken Wolff 05/17/09
5/16/2009 7:10:07 PM
Greetings members! Summers almost here...can you feel it. Today i have a special prevalage to introduce to you a business man who enjoys swimming a lot lol and a friend Ken Wolff, he hails from West Sacramento our states capital here in CA.

In 1844, John Schwartz, a Flemish traveler, was the first Euro-American to permanently settle in the area of West Sacramento. He built a shack on the west bank of the Sacramento River six miles south of its connection with the American River. John, with the help of his brother George, founded a salmon fishery along the river. In addition to the fishery, they also found the soil to be fertile and began farming and raising livestock. The announcement of the discovery of gold at Sutter's Mill in 1848 brought a multitude of miners to the region.

In 1846, a man named James McDowell bought 600 acres (2.4 km2) from John Schwartz. With his wife, Margaret, and their three daughters, McDowell settled in the area we know today as Broderick. The McDowell family experienced first-hand the violence that the gold rush era brought with it. In May of 1849, James McDowell was shot and killed in a barroom argument that he had supposedly started. With the loss of the sole supporter of the McDowell family, Margaret needed to find a way to provide for her family.      

In October 1849, Margaret hired a land surveyor to map out 160 acres (0.65 km2), which was then divided into forty one blocks. She sold individual lots within this platted area which she named the "Town of Washington". The first lot was sold to August W. Kaye for $500. During its first ten years, the rural Town of Washington went through a significant increase in business development and shipping activity. One of the first businesses to be established in the town was the California Steam Navigation Company, which was attracted to the area in 1859 by how close the Sacramento River is to it. Other businesses in early Washington included hotels, saloons, and restaurants catering to the needs of people passing through. Many of the travelers making the treacherous journey through the marshlands on their way to Sacramento were appreciative of the rest stop at the Town of Washington. 

While Sacramento began to urbanize on the other side of the river, early West Sacramento found its hand at agricultural development. Salmon, sturgeon, catfish, eel, crayfish, and clams proved to be lucrative in this region as fisherman soon found. The river settlement was flourishing, stocking fish markets not only in Sacramento, but in San Francisco as well. In addition, the rich soil of the valley produced abundant crops of com, melons, cucumbers, and sweet potatoes The dairy industry also established roots in West Sacramento around this time.

One of the area's most well known dairy farmers was Mike Bryte. Bryte came to California in 1849 to try his hand at gold mining. He didn't make a fortune in gold, but was able to purchase a dairy farm with his findings. When the California Steam Navigation Company came to Washington, Bryte used the steamships to carry his dairy products to various markets within the region. Profits from this allowed Bryte to expand his holdings. Bryte was able to own several thousand acres of land in the area to farm on, as well as raise his many livestock on. Mike Bryte's influence in the community was marked by his election to the Yolo County Board of Supervisors and later as sheriff. During the 20th century, Mike Bryte's property was divided and became known as the community of Bryte

In time, the region began to develop. The Town of Washington was renamed Broderick in honor of U. S. Senator David C. Broderick. After 1900, the three communities known as Bryte, Broderick, and West Sacramento were cumulatively known as "East Yolo". From 1900 to 1920, the population of this area doubled from 1,398 to 2,638. The West Sacramento post office opened in 1915. 

Officially incorporated as a city in 1987, these communities are what the City of West Sacramento is based upon.

In June 1963, the Port of Sacramento was opened to deep sea traffic with the completion of the Deep Water Ship Channel. The project had been authorized by Congress in 1946 and construction commenced in 1949.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 22.9 square miles (59.2 km²), of which, 20.9 square miles (54.2 km²) of it is land and 1.9 square miles (4.9 km²) of it (8.36%) is water.

West Sacramento, which lies in Yolo County, is separated from the city of Sacramento and Sacramento County by the Sacramento River. West Sacramento, incorporated in 1987, consists of 3 communities that were originally distinct towns, Broderick, Bryte, and West Sacramento (originally just the community north of the port canal and south of the railroads), as well as the Southport area.          

The Southwest community originally consisted of few homes, but now has a considerable population that resulted from a housing boom in the early 1990s. After the housing boom of the early 2000s, however Southport can now be broken into 5 areas: Linden, Gateway, Arlington Oaks, Bridgeway, and the Country, with Bridgeway and Gateway being the newest additions to the city.

In March, 2006, IKEA opened a store in West Sacramento near Reed Avenue and Interstate 80 in the Riverpoint Shopping Center. On November 15, 2007 a Home Depot opened in the Riverpoint Shopping Center, next to IKEA. Target opened a new store at the Southport Shopping Center directly across from Nugget Market, an upscale grocery store headquartered in Woodland, California. A Lowe's Home Improvement Center just west of Target, behind Arlington Oaks was completed in February 2008.

West Sacramento is home to Sacramento area CBS television station KOVR and The CW station KMAX-TV. Both stations, under a duopoly, are housed on KOVR Drive. 

The Sacramento Rivercats play in West Sacramento at Raley Field

West Sacramento is the home of the California Highway Patrol Academy and Museum.Also, there are efforts to move the California Highway Patrol official headquarters from Sacramento (in Sacramento County) to West Sacramento (in Yolo County).

A brand new Holiday Inn Express is located on Evergreen Avenue between West Capitol Avenue and US 50. An Extended Stay America Inn is located off the Reed Avenue exit off of Interstate 80. There is also a Best Western and a Motel 6 in town. For many years West Sacramento boasted that it had over 1000 hotel rooms; most of them less than classy. West Sacramento is also home to Wag Hotel, an exclusive pet hotel which caters to dogs and cats in an upscale boarding facility located on Enterprise Blvd.Raley's, a major grocery store chain in Northern and Central California, has its corporate headquarters in West Sacramento.  

As of the census of 2000, there were 31,615 people, 11,404 households, and 7,595 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,509.5 people per square mile (582.9/km²). There were 12,133 housing units at an average density of 579.3/sq mi (223.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 64.99% White, 2.57% African American, 1.76% Native American, 7.22% Asian, 0.58% Pacific Islander, 15.99% from other races, and 6.89% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 29.95% of the population.      

There were 11,404 households out of which 34.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.2% were married couples living together, 15.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.4% were non-families. 27.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75 and the average family size was 3.39.

In the city the population was spread out with 29.8% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 27.7% from 25 to 44, 20.7% from 45 to 64, and 12.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 97.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.2 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $31,718, and the median income for a family was $36,371. Males had a median income of $31,176 versus $30,183 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,245. About 17.2% of families and 22.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.8% of those under age 18 and 12.4% of those age 65 or over. 

WE LOVE YOU KEN :)                                       

My name is Ken Wolff. I have been an instructor most of my life. It started back when I was a child taking swimming lessons in Coquille, OR. I was not very good at swimming. I remember getting a lot of water up my nose and the chlorine burned my eyes. I was sort of a slow learner, but I was determined and stuck with it. After a few years, I learned enough to become an instructor. After becoming an instructor I became a much better swimmer. I instructed swimming lessons through high school and college. In school I really was not a very good student. I would say that I was a slow learner. I had to spend twice as much time studying as the other kids to do half as well. Actually in high school I was more interested in playing. I did get in to sports so I studied just enough to stay eligible. I did much better at the University, actually graduating with high honors. I took a lot of PE classes to keep my GPA up there. After graduating from Cal State University, Fresno, I spent a few years as an executive in a national youth organization. I was instructing adult volunteers in how to develop character in young kids. I enjoyed instructing so much that I entered a credential program and taught school for a while. I even became the coach of a girls basketball team. As much as I enjoyed teaching and coaching, I soon discovered that the classroom was too confining. What is more, is the amount of time that it took outside of class preparing lessons and grading papers. No, teaching in a school was not for me. I needed to be free, to plan my own schedule and go where I wanted to go when I wanted to go there. I became a truck driver and found that I liked being able to go somewhere different every day. I really enjoyed the interaction with people. The pay was pretty good. I had a lot more time not being an executive or a teacher. My teaching was not over yet though. I joined the National Ski Patrol. In order to become a patroller, I had to take an Outdoor Emergency Care class. Again I found that I was not a very good student. I had to study twice as hard to learn half as much. I actually failed the practical final, but I did not give up. I was persistent. I finally passed and took every opportunity to improve my skills. I became an Instructor of the Outdoor Emergency Care class. As the years have gone by I have taught a lot of ski patrollers to become instructors themselves. Now, what does all this have to do with doing business on the Internet. I will tell you. I decided a few years back to start my own business. I had been a distributor in my parents business for years but had really not taken it very seriously. It was only when I saw their business going under as they got older that I decided that it was time for me to step up to the plate. I took every opportunity for training and did all the things that I was taught. However, progress was very slow. What it really was is that I was not very good at the business. I really wanted to get good at this home based business thing. So I looked back on my life. The things that I did best in, I actually taught to others before I became good at them. Now I have looked long and hard at this business. I found that a lot of what I learned was not working for me. But I finally discovered a new approach that is already working better than what I was doing before. It is doing business on the Internet. I know there are a lot of people out there that know a lot more than I do about it, but I am confident that I know tons more than most of the general population. Besides, I don't have to know it all. Nobody does. My mission in life now is to help people. If I can help anybody have a better tomorrow than they have today, I feel I am accomplishing what I was sent here to do. One more thing, I don't think God will take me away until I finish what he sent me here to do. My list of things to do is so long that I think I will live forever. LOL Ken

View Web Business Consultant's web site 

http://community.adlandpro.com/go/baldyken2001/default.aspx

AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: SUNDAY SHOWCASE_Featuring Ken Wolff 05/17/09
5/16/2009 7:33:33 PM
Hi Thomas,

Glad to see you back with the Sunday Showcase.  Are you pushing summer, we stil have a month ofspring.  Isn't time going fast enough that you are moving on to summer.  Like Jill says, Christmas just passed.  lol 

Hi Ken,

Great bio.  You have been a busy guy and I wouldn't say you were a slow learner, you are a doer. It is so kind of you to want to help others.  You will be rewarded for that too, even though you are not expecting it. 

Ken have a wonderful week on the Sunday Showcase.

Blessings,
Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/16/2009 7:39:14 PM

Congrats on being featured, Ken!

I'm better at swimming than skiing, better at holding my breath than turning my head to breathe, the swimming teacher was not impressed about my not breathing! 

Thomas, great photos!  The bumblebee on the flower got my attention!  Then the cows and Sacramento waterline/skyline...you're SS is great every week!

+0
5/16/2009 8:23:26 PM
Very interesting bio, Ken.  I used to be a fairly good swimmer but not anymore.  I hope you still keep at it and also keep at your business on the internet.
Shirley Manion
Shirley Manion MoneyMakers, Shopping, blogs, fun places http://www.connectionsecrets.com/webmasterhelpers Shopping Bargains and Deals Connections http://www.connectionsecrets.com/bargainshopping Your own fun Iggly Biggly business for only $20.00 h
+0
Jill Bachman

8860 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/16/2009 11:21:35 PM

Thank you Thomas for this grand showcase.  You did an awesome feature of West Sacramento!

CONGRATULATIONS KEN!!

It is great to meet you NEIGHBOR!!!   I am in Chico just north of you.   I loved reading your story and it is great to make a new friend.  I am honored.

Enjoy your week and keep up the great work.  :-)

Cheer,  Jill

I have to share a photo of Mt. Shasta with you.... now we represent the entire north state.  lol

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!