Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
4/28/2009 11:17:44 PM
For you bean lovers, this recipe sounds inviting.

Louisiana Red Beans & Rice

This quick version of red beans and rice gets its smoky goodness from super-lean Canadian bacon and a hit of ground chipotle pepper. It’s delicious as a leftover but will thicken as it stands. To keep it properly syrupy, just thin with a little water and reheat.

Makes 6 servings, 1 1/3 cups each

ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

4 1/3 cups water, divided
1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup diced onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans or pink beans, rinsed
6 ounces sliced Canadian bacon, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery leaves
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (see Note) or cayenne pepper

1. Combine 3 1/3 cups water, rice and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low, cover and cook until all the water has been absorbed, about 45 minutes.
2. About 10 minutes before the rice is ready, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is lightly colored and tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Place 1 cup beans in a small bowl and mash with a fork. Add the mashed and whole beans, the remaining 1 cup water, Canadian bacon, celery, celery leaves, bell pepper and ground chipotle (or cayenne) to taste to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened into a gravy and the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Serve in shallow bowls, spooned over the rice.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 342 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrate; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 645 mg sodium; 196 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Fiber (33% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron
(15% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 very lean meat

TIP: Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.

+0
Re: Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
4/28/2009 11:26:21 PM

Hi Donna -

This recipe sounds great.  I know it is a dish my husband would enjoy.  He makes the traditional Red Beans and Rice occasionally, but we have not tried it with Canadian Bacon.  Will add to my recipe file!

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/29/2009 8:47:00 AM
Hi Donna,

Well I just saved 2 more recipes for later.  lol  I wonder when later is going to be.
Couldn't find anything with rice, but look at this!!!!!!

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
4/29/2009 9:05:46 AM
Donna, that sounds delicious!!  I love Cajun cooking but have yet to visit New Orleans for the real stuff.

This one is a keeper for sure.  Thanks for the note about Chipotle peppers, I just bought a can and was going to look it up to see what they were.  Did not know they were jalapeno peppers.  I do know they are delicious!!

Now I am hungry!

Sara
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/29/2009 11:29:14 PM

Hello Sandra,

Welcome to the recipe exchange. I am glad you found a recipe you want to try.

I am originally from northern Wisconsin. We never had red beans and rice. Even in Indiana, where I now live, I don't ever see it on the menu in restaurants.

Since beans are so healthy, I am trying to incorporate them into my diet.

DonnaZ

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!