Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
SUNDAY SHOWCASE Featuring_Barbara Delgiudice 04/26/09
4/25/2009 7:10:55 PM
Greetings Members! Summer's almost here can you feel it? This weeks feature is a friend to all with a warm heart, full of encouragement whereever she goes, a mother and a very digital lady lol, long time member here Barbara Delgiudice, she hails from Burien, Washington,     

European settlement in the Burien area dates to 1870, when Mike Kelly walked up a hill from the Seattle, South Seattle area. When he emerged from the trees he said, "This is truly a sunny dale." Still today, the Burien area is called Sunnydale. He claimed a 160-acre (0.6 km2) plot of land and built a house and a farm.

Ten years later, Gottlieb Von Boorian, a German immigrant, arrived in Sunnydale. At this point, the community was only trails and small houses. There were no roads or non-residential buildings. Von Boorian built a cabin on the southeast corner of Lake Burien and also was said to have formed the community into a town bearing his name. (It has been misspelled over the years.) A real estate office was built and soon more people began pouring in to Burien.

In the early 1900s, people of Seattle came by the Mosquito Fleet to Three Tree Point, just west of town to sunbathe and swim.

In 1915, the Burien railroad was completed. It ran on what is today Ambaum Boulevard from Burien to White Center to Seattle. A small passenger train ran the tracks and was affectionately named by the residents, The Toonerville Trolley. However in the summer, squished caterpillars made the track slippery, and in the winter, the tracks iced over. Soon the Toonerville Trolley was more of a nuisance than anything and it was removed.

Burien was an unincorporated portion of King County prior to February 28, 1993, when it incorporated as a city. There had been previous attempts to incorporate the greater Burien area, but those efforts failed. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, citizens felt they needed a more responsive government to help address the looming threat of the Port of Seattle's runway expansion to the west (known as the "Third Runway"), so an effort was again made to incorporate as a city.                         

Citizens also felt that multi-family apartments and dwellings had proliferated out of control in Burien and other unincorporated areas of King County, and that they had no local voice in government (other than the King County Council) that would hear their concerns. The residents of the area desired a government who could help curb the rapid development of mulit-family apartment buildings, which some felt had gone un-checked under King County's government.

Late in 2004, the City was assessing the possibility of annexing North Highline (which includes White Center and Boulevard Park), "one of the largest urban unincorporated areas of King County," which would double the size of Burien. Many citizens have spoken against the annexation and have created picket signs and petitions to protest against it. Other citizens welcome the expansion, as they feel parts of the so-called "North Highline" area should have been part of the original Burien incorporation, and the area in question is part of the larger "Highline" area. The Highline area includes the cities of Burien, Seatac, Des Moines, Federal Way and the unincorporated area called "North Highline."

In May 2008, the Burien City Council proposed an annexation of the southern portion of North Highline, comprising 14,000 residents. In late summer of 2008, the City of Burien prepared to submit their annexation proposal to King County's Boundary Review Board. However after the City of Seattle protested Burien's proposal, Burien opted to withdraw their annexation plan, and then re-submit it to the Boundary Review Board after new countywide planning policies went into effect.         

In October 2008, the Burien City Council voted to re-submit their annexation plan to the county Boundary Review Board. However, the cities of Burien and Seatle, along with King County and other stakeholders, have participated and completed mediation to ensure the interests of all parties involved are met. Affected stakeholders have preliminarily agreed to an annexation framework that will be in effect until 2012. This agreement (if approved by all jurisdictions) stipulates how an annexation by Burien or Seattle will play-out. The City of Burien may hold an annexation election for its proposed area of North Highline in the Fall of 2009.

Burien's downtown area is currently undergoing several renovations scheduled for completion in 2009. These renovations include an entire rebuild of a stretch of 1st Avenue South pavement from 160th St to 148th st. In addition, a new towncenter is under construction that will include 70,000 square feet (7,000 m2) of retail space, more than 400 condominiums with a plaza/park area in the middle plus underground parking, and a new Burien branch of the King County Library System (KCLS).

The city is served by the Highline Times (est.1945), a community weekly newspaper owned by Robinson Newspapers. It is a subscriber-based publication with limited free distribution.

Burien is served by the Highline School District and is home to Highline High School and Sylvester Middle School in addition to several elementary schools.

It is also the home of many Catholic schools, including John F. Kennedy Memorial High School, St. Francis of Assisi Elementary School, and St. Bernadette Elementary School.the city has a total area of 13.2 square miles (34.2 km²), of which, 7.4 square miles (19.3 km²) of it is land and 5.8 square miles (15.0 km²) of it (43.80%) is water.  WE LOVE YOU BARBARA :)

I am 55 years old and live with my 2 cockatiels Baby who is 11 years old and Beenie who is 4 and a half years old now.   I have been working on becoming a self-employed person for a few years now.   Watch Out for Scams.   I have lost alot of money on these programs that say you will make money fast.   So maney of those places don't work and close down.  You cannot become successful over night.   It takes hard work and some money to do any multi-level marketing program.  Make your own newsletter and website, this is something every Internet marketer needs..  Please join my free newsletter to get some free ads, tips, advice and gifts.  I can help you become successful in your Internet Marketing.     

It is difficult to do any kind of work when we are not feeling well.  Health is very important to our success. 

Little and Big Parrots Newsletter with Health and Training tips.

My Motto:

Don't ever give up on yourself or anyone else, no matter how long it takes.  The virtue of patience is the key.
View Digital Business News Reviews's web site  http://community.adlandpro.com/go/134690/default.aspx 

AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: SUNDAY SHOWCASE Featuring_Barbara Delgiudice 04/26/09
4/25/2009 9:20:02 PM

Hello Dear Thomas!

Thank You for a great feature again My friend... very interesting as always!

Hello Barbara!

Congratulations on making this great Sunday Showcase... very well deserved!

Blessings,

Alain

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/25/2009 10:03:43 PM

Hi Barb,

The scenery is beautiful, I wish I had mountains to look at!!  Maybe someday I'll visit the great Northwest!  Congrats on being featured and have a fantastic weekend!

(Thanks, Thomas, for the great photos!!)

+0
Robert Coaster

581 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/25/2009 11:58:23 PM
Thanks Thomas!

Congrats for being chosen for the showcase Barbara enjoy your time in the spotlight :)

Have a great weekend everyone,

Robert
+0
Jill Bachman

8860 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/26/2009 2:09:58 AM

Thank you Thomas for this most wonderful forum, but cut out  that" summer is almost here" stuff.  Good grief man, don't you realize Christmas was just yesterday?   LOL

CONGRATULATIONS Barbara!

Wow!  All I can tell you is I am packing up to come live with in Burien starting tomorrow!!  What beautiful photos of your astounding view..... I am jealous.  hehehe

I love your story and your doggies sound adorable.  Thanks for the invite and I did join your newletter.  We definitely agree on staying away from scams and that network marketing requires work.  Like they say..... that is the way it is and nothing comes free.

It is wonderful to see you on the mountain and I always enjoy your posts and inspirations.

Have a grand week in the showcase and thanks for all you do to make Adland such a special place.

Hugs,  Jill

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!