Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
THE GREEK THEATRE
3/10/2009 1:34:14 PM

The Origin of Modern Treagedy

THE GREEK THEATRE

The origins of tragedy in the modern world especially in West are obscure, but it is certainly derived from the poetic and religious traditions of the ancient Hellas (Greece). Its roots may be traced more specifically to the dithyrambs, the chants and dances honouring the Greek god Dionysus, to the Romans known as Bacchus.

Click above - Video Clicp: History of Theater

These drunken ecstatic performances were said to have been created by the satyrs, this strange figures, half-goat beings who surrounded Dionysus in his revelry. Prhynichos, son of Polyphradmon and pupil of Thespis, was one of the earliest of the Hellenic (Greek) tragedians. Some of the ancients, indeed, regarded him as the real founder of tragedy. He gained his first poetical victory in 511 BC. 

Tragedy, origin and definition:

The word's origin is Greek (τραγωδία) and contracted from [τράγος+αοιδία “tragos-aoidia”] meaning "goat song" from ‘tragos’ = "goat" and ‘aeidein’ = "to sing". Later in ancient Greece, the word "tragedy" meant any serious drama, not merely those with a sad ending. This meaning may have referred to any of these: Goat-like costumes worn by actors who played the satyrs. A goat being presented as a prize at a song contest. The actors being paid a goat as their pay for appearing on stage. Τhat the first half is not "goat" but 'trageîn' (in 2nd aorist infinitive of trōgein) means "to gnaw". From the same root we have trogo [τρώγω] meaning “to eat”.

Picture: Sochos' Carnival
 Video Clip: Olympic Games Athens 2004
Dionysos Party - Wedding
Click above

There is some dissent to the dithyrambic origins of tragedy mostly based in the differences between the shapes of their choruses and styles of dancing. A common descent from pre-Hellenic fertility and burial rites has been suggested. Aristotle is very clear in his Poetics that tragedy proceeded from the authors of the Dithyramb.

Maenads-Achilles

Click above for a sexy traditional carnival song

Theories of tragedy

The philosopher Aristotle theorized in his work “The Poetics” that tragedy results in a catharsis (emotional cleansing) of healing for the audience through their experience of these emotions in response to the suffering of the characters in the drama. Not all plays that are broadly categorized as "tragedies" result in this type of cathartic ending, though – some have neutral or even ambiguously happy endings. Exactly what constitutes a "tragedy", however, is a frequently debated matter. Some hold that any story with a sad ending is a tragedy, whereas others demand that the story fit a set of requirements often based on Aristotle to be considered a tragedy.

Read more

1. Dionysiac Carnival [Philoxenia]

Warm Regards
Georgios

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE GREEK THEATRE
3/10/2009 1:50:21 PM

Very interesting Georgios!!  I enjoyed watching the video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=C3mvMcXQHEQ

I saw a Greek tragedy many years ago. oedipus rex  

Thanks to an introduction to Greek theatre.  Pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/10/2009 2:18:15 PM
Thank you Patricia!

I have seen all those clips. This one you mentions gives us lots of good information.
The Theater of Dionysus, built into the natural hollow of the south slope of the Acropolis, was the world's first theater built of stone and the birthplace of Greek tragedy. This is where the dramatic contests in the Greater Dionysia were held.  Originally a place to honor the god Dionysus in dance and song, in the fifth century the plays of Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides and Aristophanes were performed here. By the middle of the fifth century there was scnery in the background, usually in the form of a building. The theater was built in several phases, each of which corresponded, essentially, to the developments in ancient drama.  What remains today dates to the Roman Empire and could seat 17,000 spectators. The classical Greek theater would have had a circular "orchestra" (literally, "dancing space", the flat, paved area in front of the stage where the chorus sang and danced) instead of the semi-circular orchestra which remains today.

Here is a picture of DIONYSUS THEATER IN ATHENS

Your friend
Georgios
ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/11/2009 2:35:20 AM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!