Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Date Oat Muffins
1/29/2009 11:52:36 PM
I'm going to try this recipe as soon as I buy some chopped dates.

eating well Date-Oat Muffins

Makes 1 dozen muffins

Ingredients

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
⅓ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 cup whole-wheat flour
¾ cup all-purpose flour
⅓ cup whole flaxseeds, ground (see Ingredient notes)
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
¾ cup buttermilk (see Tip)
½ cup orange juice
¼ cup canola oil
2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup chopped pitted dates (see Ingredient notes)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. Spread 1 cup oats and the walnuts, if using, in 2 separate small baking pans. Bake, stirring once or twice, until light golden and fragrant, 4 to 6 minutes for the nuts and 8 to 10 minutes for the oats. Transfer to a plate to cool.
3. Meanwhile, whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
4. Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk, orange juice, oil, orange zest and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened. Fold in dates, the toasted oats and nuts, if using. Scoop batter into the prepared muffin cups (they'll be quite full). Sprinkle the tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons oats.
5. Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.

Tips

Ingredient Notes:
Flaxseeds are one of the best plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids. They provide both soluble fiber, linked to reduced risk of heart disease, and insoluble fiber, which provides valuable roughage. Flaxseeds are perishable, so purchase whole seeds (instead of ground flaxmeal), store in the refrigerator and grind in a clean coffee grinder or dry blender just before using.

Look for packages of chopped pitted dates in the dried fruit section of your supermarket. Whole dates are sticky and cumbersome to chop.

Tip: You can use buttermilk powder in place of fresh buttermilk. Or make ?sour milk?: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.

Nutrition Information

Per muffin: 252 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrate; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 194 mg sodium.

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Date Oat Muffins
1/30/2009 12:32:00 AM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
1/30/2009 7:48:22 AM
That sounds like a healthy treat.  I have never had Muffins with Dates in them.
Shirley Manion
Shirley Manion MoneyMakers, Shopping, blogs, fun places http://www.connectionsecrets.com/webmasterhelpers Shopping Bargains and Deals Connections http://www.connectionsecrets.com/bargainshopping Your own fun Iggly Biggly business for only $20.00 h
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/30/2009 10:20:21 AM
Hi Donna,

I agree with Shirley, it is a healthy. 

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/30/2009 11:12:27 AM

Hi Donna,

Well you've done it again.  Thanks for yet another way to eat healthy and delicious at the same time.  This sounds wonderful and I'll definitely be trying it soon, probably this weekend.

I absolutely love dates, and like Shirley mentioned, I have never had Muffins with dates in them.

Of course you know how much I love to make Breads, so here's a favorite Date Nut Bread Recipe...

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups white sugar (Splenda works quite well) 

1/4 cup shortening

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1 1/2 cups chopped pitted dates

1 3/4 cups hot brewed coffee 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans, or line with parchment paper.

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl, and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and shortening. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Toss the walnuts and dates with the dry ingredients, and stir into the sugar mixture alternately with the hot coffee. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.

Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Hope you enjoy.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!