Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Peppermint, Fiber,Can Treat IBS
1/22/2009 11:27:43 PM
This article mentions a couple natural remedies we can give a try for our IBS.

Peppermint Oil, Fiber Can Treat IBS

Study Shows Older Treatments Work Well for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
By Salynn Boyles
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Nov. 13, 2008 -- Largely overlooked, older remedies like peppermint oil and fiber are effective treatments for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), a review of the research shows.

The analysis shows that these remedies and some antispasmodic drugs that are no longer widely prescribed work well, researcher Alexander C. Ford, MD, tells WebMD.

Newer drugs that once held great promise for the treatment of the poorly understood bowel disorder have largely proven disappointing, either because serious side effects emerged or they were not very effective.

So there is currently no clear first-line treatment for patients with irritable bowel syndrome, Ford says.

"Most of the treatments we examined have fallen out of clinical favor," he says. "But they work, they are cheap, and they're far less toxic than some of the newer drugs."

Some IBS Drugs Pulled From the Market

Surveys suggest that anywhere from 5% to 20% of people suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, a disorder with a wide range of symptoms that may include crampy abdominal pain, gas, diarrhea, and/or constipation.

In February 2000, Lotronex became the first drug approved in the U.S. specifically to treat IBS, but it was withdrawn from the market later that year because of potentially life-threatening gastrointestinal side effects.

The drug was later reintroduced, but its use is now restricted to women with severe diarrhea-predominant IBS who have failed other treatments.

In March 2007, another IBS drug, Zelnorm, was also withdrawn from the market by its maker, Novartis, at the request of the FDA because of an increased risk for heart attack and stroke.

"These new-generation drugs were going to be the magic bullets for IBS, but it didn't turn out that way," King's College London professor of general practice Roger Jones, DM, FRCP, tells WebMD. "I think this new paper is important because it shows patients and their physicians that these older treatments can be effective."

Peppermint Oil and Fiber

Ford and colleagues combined the results from 12 studies comparing fiber with placebo or no treatment, 22 studies comparing different antispasmodic drugs to placebo, and four studies examining treatment with peppermint oil.

Although there were fewer peppermint oil studies, the trials were well designed and all showed peppermint oil to be effective.

Other highlights of the analysis include:

• Based on the combined data, the researchers estimated that one in 2.5 patients would get significant relief of symptoms if treated with peppermint oil, compared to one in five patients taking antispasmodics and one in 11 patients taking fiber. Peppermint oil is sold in capsules, and the study participants took about 200 milligrams two or three times a day.
  • Insoluble bran-based fibers were not very effective, but soluble psyllium-based fiber treatments like Metamucil were. When phyllium therapies were considered on their own, one in six treated patients had significant improvement in symptoms.
  • When the 22 antispasmodic studies were combined, the drug scopolamine was among the most effective. The researchers recommend scopolamine, which is extracted from the corkwood tree, as the first-line antispasmodic treatment for IBS.

Ford and colleagues concluded that psyllium-fiber therapy is a good first-line treatment for constipation-predominant IBS, while peppermint oil and scopolamine are good choices for diarrhea-predominant IBS.

The analysis appears in the latest issue of BMJ Online First. In an accompanying editorial, Jones writes that the findings should reawaken interest in these treatments and spur research into their use for IBS.

"We really don't know which patients benefit most from which type of treatment," he tells WebMD.

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Peppermint, Fiber,Can Treat IBS
1/22/2009 11:44:43 PM

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/26/2009 9:29:22 PM
Hi Nick,

Thank you for the great graphic!

DonnaZ
+0
Rinna Rani

5162 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/30/2009 6:18:41 AM
Hi Donna,
Greetings!
Thank you for the information.  I agree with the fact that Fiber does help with IBS.  However, for those that have really bad IBS problems, this can be of assistance.

Another way is of course drinking milk or water with lemon and a drop of Salt Brine (preferably Himalayan Salt) in the morning before you brush your teeth.  This will help to change the acid in the system into alkali further helping to enhance all organ function as well as open the back bone's nutrition.

However, the best Himalayan Salt Solution has been proven with the therapy I do in my company.  If anyone needs more information, please let me know how you can obtain this.

We can discuss how to ship it there or who would like to do this business with me.  I can provide free consultation on the product and how to use it during emergency.

Take care with love,
Rinna
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/4/2009 11:13:47 PM

Hi Rinna,

Thank you for the tip about lemon and salt in water. I have Himalayan Salt that I ordered from a doctor's site. I am trying to become more alkaline. I find that lots of foods are more acidic.

Dr. Lark, another internet doctor, sells an alkaline supplement that I just ordered. When I had an upset stomach for a couple weeks, nothing worked until I remembered that I had the alkaline supplement in the cabinet but had not been taking it recently. I started taking that and my tummy feels much better.

Please feel free to give your link for your Himalyan salt in this forum.

DonnaZ

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!