Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
TRADITIONAL CROATIAN CHRISTMAS EVE
12/24/2008 11:30:56 AM

CROATIAN CHRISTMAS EVE

Traditional Christmas Greeting: "Sretan Bozic"
Tree Type: Traditional

Decorations: Though families in Croatia have always decorated their homes with greenery, Christmas trees are a relatively recent holiday tradition. They are customarily ornamented with fruit, nuts and sweets as well as glass figures, colored thread, paper chains, lanterns and candles. Licitar hearts baked from dough also make up an important part of many Croatian Christmas trees. Colorful designs, small mirrors, and short sayings are added to the red dough after it is made into a heart shape. Though they're edible, these hearts are usually not eaten.

Traditions: Croatia is a country with many different holiday traditions. Visitors will hear different carols, eat different foods and see different decorations in different regions. In many parts of the country, Christmas celebrations begin on December 13 with St. Lucy's day when families plant wheat seeds in a plate of shallow water.

They grow to be eight inches tall by Christmas Eve and are tied together with a red, blue and white ribbon called trobojnica. In some areas candles are lit and placed in the middle of the straw. The glow that shines through the wheat represents the soul within every person.

Straw, symbolizing fertility and Christ's birth in the crèche, is also a significant Christmas tradition in many parts of Croatia. On Christmas Eve, straw is spread around the floors and under the tablecloth for the Christmas dinner.

fresh Christmas Eve Bread, or Badnji Kruh, made with honey, nuts and dried fruit.

Families make wishes and often sit in the straw as they light and watch the Yule log. Children in Croatia receive Christmas presents at many different times and from many different people. St. Nicholas brings the first children their presents on December 6th and St. Lucy delivers gifts to others on the 13th. Santa Claus and the baby Jesus have also begun to make rounds in some parts of Croatia on Christmas day and Christmas Eve.

CROATIAN CHRISTMAS EVE MENU :

Cod fish (bakalar)

Any type of salt or freshwater fish

Smelts and smoked sardines

Honey cake

Christmas Bread

Assorted fruits and nuts

Wine and brandy, often homemade

TO ALL ADLANDER BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN CHRIST,

I WISH

WITH LOVE,

SILVY

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: TRADITIONAL CROATIAN CHRISTMAS EVE
12/24/2008 11:37:17 AM

Hi Silvy!!

Your Croatian Christmas traditions look lovely!!  The Christmas bread looks yummy.  Can you please post a recipe for it?  Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Pat

An invation to you....come visit my Christmas topic:

http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/897555/ShowThread.aspx

ALL THINGS CHRISTMAS! Please share your Pictures, Family Stories - Memories and Recipes! My Invitation is Extended to Everyone. God Bless Us Everyone!

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
12/24/2008 11:59:31 AM

Happy Christmas Eve Pat !

Here is the recipe for

CROATIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD

Sweet Dough:
1-1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup soft butter
2 pkgs Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast
1/2 cup warm water
7-1/2 to 8 cups flour

Filling:
1 can evaporated milk
1 heaping cup sugar
2 sticks margarine
1-1/2 pounds pecans (ground fine)4 eggs
Pinch salt
1 tsp cocoa
1 tsp cinnamon

Sweet Dough preparation:
Combine warm milk, sugar, salt, softened butter, and beaten eggs.
Dissolve yeast in warm water and add to other ingredients. Add half of flour, mix well until smooth. Add flour to handle easily. Knead
dough on lightly floured board. Put dough in greased bowl, cover
and place in warm, draft free place until doubled in size. Punch
down and let double again. Divide dough in three parts. Roll each
part until very thin in rectangular shape. Spread filling, roll and
twist in circular shape like a snail or cinnamon roll. Place in greased 8-inch or 9-inch cake pans. Cover, put in warm place and let rise.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes.

Filling preparation:
In heavy pan, over medium heat, combine sugar, milk and
margarine and heat. Add nuts, then beaten eggs and mix well. Boil
one minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add pinch of
salt, cocoa and cinnamon and mix well. Let cool till just warm
enough to spread.

Yield: 3 loaves

Silvy

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/24/2008 12:59:19 PM

Thanks Silvy.....This is the one I want.  I love fruit cake.

Pat

Badnji Kruh, made with honey, nuts and dried fruit.

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/25/2008 5:08:43 AM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0