Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Facts on Obesity - AWESOME info!!
5/1/2008 8:06:35 PM

Facts about Obesity:

Overweight and obesity are used to describe a person's weight that is greater than what is generally considered healthy for a given height. The terms also identify ranges of weight that have been shown to increase the likelihood of certain diseases and other health problems.

For adults, overweight and obesity ranges are determined by using weight and height to calculate a number called the "body mass index" (BMI). BMI is used because, for most people, it correlates with their amount of body fat.  Furthermore, too much body fat can lead to type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, arthritis, sleep apnea, and stroke.

An adult who has a BMI between 25 and 29.9 is considered overweight, while an adult who has a BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.

Since the mid-seventies, the prevalence of overweight and obesity has increased sharply for both adults and children. Surveys have shown that among adults aged 20-74 years the prevalence of obesity increased from 15.0% (in the 1976-1980 survey) to 32.9% (in the 2003-2004 survey).

Sources:
CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/
WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/diet/tc/obesity-overview

Major Types of Obesity:

1. Android: Android type of obesity is likened to the shape of an apple. The shoulders, face, arms, neck, chest & upper portion of the abdomen are bloated. The stomach gives a stiff appearance. In these persons the vital organs affected will be mostly the heart, liver, kidneys & lungs. Though this typed of obesity is found more in males it is common in females too. Those females, who are under hormone treatment for their menstrual abnormalities or after childbirth, are more prone to this type of obesity. It occurs in females around menopause too due to thyroid gland's functional disturbance. In this type, the excess flesh is less likely to reduce especially in female than males.

Android type of obesity is a major risk for heart damage & heart disease due to high cholesterol.

1. Gynoid:  In this type the lower part of the body has the extra flesh. This type of obesity is also common to both sexes though females are more affected. Gynoid type of obesity is similar to pears. The flesh is somewhat flabby in the abdomen, thighs, buttocks & legs. The face & neck mostly give a normal appearance.  The vital organs affected mostly are the kidneys, uterus, intestines, bladder & bowls. But the functions of these organs some times have a direct effect on the heart.         

In this type of obesity, exercises or dieting will not help in reducing weight. Here unani herbal medicine is the only hope. One should have more patience & undertake proper treatment to achieve the goal of reducing weight & preventing further weight again.

1. The third type: - Besides android & gynoid, there is one more type of obesity. Some persons neither belong to android or to gynoid category. Their whole body from head to toe looks like a barrel. Their gait is more to rolling rather than walking. The fat tissues in their body hinder the movement of all the internal organs & consequently affect their brisk functioning. For them any exercise is difficult due to the enormous size of the body. So such person should follow a strict diet & do plenty of exercise. But unani herbal medicines & treatment will help successfully in reducing weight.

Source:
LossWeight.com: http://www.lossweight.com/types_of_obesity.htm

Diagnosis of Obesity:

Here are various tests to diagnose obesity:

1. Body Mass Index (BMI) - Calculated by dividing your weight in kilograms by your height in meters squared. A BMI of 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight and 30 or higher is considered obese.  However, the BMI calculation does not take into account whether one's weight is composed mostly of fat or muscle. Some very muscular people may have a high BMI without being overweight or obese.
  2. Waist Circumference, Saggital Diameter, and Waist-To-Hip Ratio - Simple measurements that estimate the amount of fat deposited in the skin and inside the abdominal cavity. Waist circumferences that exceed 102 centimeters (40 inches) in men and 88 centimeters (35 inches) in women are associated with an increased risk of heart disease.
  3. Skinfold Caliper - Most fat is deposited beneath the skin. This test measures fat just beneath the skin, but cannot measure fat accumulated inside the abdomen.
  4. Water Displacement Tests - Fat floats; the rest of your body tissues sink. Determining how well you float provides an estimated ratio of fat to body mass.
  5. Electrical Measurements - A couple of tests calculate your percentage of body fat by measuring the difference between the electrical characteristics of fat and other tissues in your body.
  6. Blood tests - To rule out other medical conditions that may cause excess body weight, such as a thyroid disorder, your doctor may order some blood tests.

Sources:
AuroraHealthCare:
http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/yourhealth/healthgate/getcontent.asp?URLhealthgate=%2219891.html%22
HealthScout:
http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/179/main.html

What are the symptoms of Obesity:

The onset of obesity is usually gradual. Symptoms include:

• Adiposity (fat cells) in the breast region in boys
  • Large abdomen (white or purple marks are sometimes present)
  • Increased adiposity in the upper arms and thighs.
  • Accumulation of excess fat below the diaphragm and in the chest wall may put pressure on the lungs, causing difficulty in breathing and shortness of breath, even with minimal exertion.
  • There is indigestion aggravated by so much abdominal fat. Urinary incontinence is an often undisclosed but embarrassing symptom, particularly for women, and is very common for the obese. Snoring and sleep apnea have a strong association with abdominal obesity.
  • Strain on the weight bearing joints.
  • Extra body fat
  • High blood pressure
  • Heart and blood vessel problems, such as stroke and coronary heart disease

Sources: 
American Chronicle: http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/52825
HealthScout:
http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/179/main.html

What treatments are available for Obesity?

There are various treatment methods for obesity.  It is important to note that weight loss reduction and maintenance should be started and followed under the care of a physician and/or a nutritionist. A weight-loss program may include:

·         Exercise - the Surgeon General has called for 30 minutes of physical activity on most days of the week

·         A low-fat, high-complex carbohydrate, high fiber diet

·         Behavior modification to change eating behavior

·         Social support

·         Medications

Current guidelines recommend drug treatment for individuals, especially those with other obesity-related health conditions, who have failed to respond adequately to dietary and behavioral modifications. A limited number of medications are available for the treatment of obesity. Concerns about side effects have diminished enthusiasm for appetite-suppressant drugs, particularly fenfluramine, which carry serious risks and have been withdrawn from the market. Individuals who have taken either should be evaluated by a physician.

Phentermine remains available, but is approved only for short-term use. Sibutramine (Meridia) is approved for longer-term use, but may cause an increase in blood pressure and should be used with caution and only with regular medical monitoring.

Orlistat (Xenical) is a medication that blocks the absorption of dietary fat and is also approved for longer-term use. However, it causes unpleasant side effects (greasy stool), and you also need to supplement your diet with fat-soluble vitamins.

Although surgery (such as gastric bypass) is the last resort for the treatment of obesity, it can be extremely effective. However, it should be performed at an experienced surgical center, because such operations can carry significant risks, especially in the post-operative period. Consensus recommendations are to limit surgical therapies to patients with morbid obesity (BMI > 40).

Sources:
Heart Scout: http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/179/main.html#TreatmentofObesity
WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/diet/tc/obesity-overview

HerbaCall Obesity Testimonials

·         Susan Friedkin says, "I started on the Quick Start Green program. I lost 4 lbs. overnight, 7 lbs. my first week and my energy was greatly improved! I wanted to lose as fast as I could because I was so excited, so I added products to be on the Ultimate Program . I lost 20 lbs. my first month and lost a total of 50 lbs. and 5 dress sizes in 5 months! That much weight is like the size of a 50 lb. bag of Oatmeal I used to buy at the Bulk Food Store!" 

• Brian Anderson tells HerbaCall, ""Before Herbalife, I was fat and tired at 223 pounds with a 40-inch pant waist. I also had minor acid reflux and battled some adult skin problems. I hated to exercise as I had developed a painful right-heel spur. My wife and I were both generally unhappy with the situation. Fortunately, I found the products on the internet in July 2002 while looking for a home-based business and got started on the Ultimate Green Weight-Loss program. I lost 15 pounds my first month and gained much-needed energy!"

·         Vicki Matthews proudly said, "Before I started taking Herbalife products I was overweight and always tired. I am using the Advanced Programme and also use the amazing skin care products. I have lost seven kilos and 45 cm of body fat and I feel great. The best part is that I have gone from wearing size 18 jeans down to a size 12 and I have kept that weight off"

• Want more information and more Herbalife testimonials?

You can also access this newsletter at: http://www.herbacall.com/newsletters/2008_04-02.htm

Visit HerbaCall.com for more detailed information on many health conditions, news, and research links. HerbaCall has many testimonials on Diabetes and other conditions. Herbalife products can help calm your digestive system!

Gma Carol  

Carol
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!