Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Lydia Fokina

2042 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Great Saturday
4/26/2008 3:01:14 AM

Today is the Great Saturday in Russian Orthodox calendar

On great Saturday the Christ has gone down in the Hades and has revived by a life eternal righteous persons suffered there and sinners too.

The Holy Week, Passionate seven days (passion -suffering) - last seven days of the Great post, previous Easter and following after a Week flowers carrying (the sixth Sunday of the Great post) during which are recollected the Last Supper, the legend on court, sufferings and the crucifixion, Jesus Christ's burial.

All the days long Passionate seven days carry the name "Great" - Great Monday, ... Great Saturday, the epithet "Passionate" also is used.

Easter icon of Orthodox Church is the icon " Descent in a Hades ".

The Christ on this icon as though is absolutely static. It holds for Adam and Eve's hands. It only is going to exhaust them from a place of grief. Rise has not begun yet. But only that descent has ended: clothes of the Christ still flutter (as after prompt descent). It has already stopped, and clothes still fall down after It. Before us - a point of limiting descent of the Christ, from it the way will go up, from a hell - to the Sky. The Christ has rushed into a hell, and the gate of a Hades broken broken by it, lay under Its legs.

" Descent in the Hades" shows to us as victory Jesus is made: not force and not magically-authoritative influence, but - through maximal "Self-exhaustion", self-belittling of the Lord. The old testament narrates, as the God searched for the person. The new testament, down to Easter, speaks us, as far it was necessary to go to the God to find nevertheless the Son.

All complexity of icons of Revival is connected with necessity to show, that the Christ - not only Revived, but also the Reviver. It speaks about that, - what for the God has come on the ground and has accepted death.

On this icon the moment of crisis, an instant of a meeting of two different boards, but uniform actions on the purpose is given: the limiting point of Divine descent appears an initial support of a human ascention. " The God became the person that the person became the God " - the gold formula of orthodox understanding of the person is those.

These (earlier closed) opportunities of transformation open for the person promptly - " in uniform hour ". "Easter" also means "transition", prompt disposal. During antiquated times easter bread were fresh the bread, made hastily from the test which could not even be fermented. Also clearing of mankind (already all mankind, and not just Jewish people) from slavery (to not so Egyptian pharaon, but the death and a sin) so promptly makes.

Good luck to all and wishes to find the path to God!

+1
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Great Saturday
4/26/2008 4:25:14 AM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/26/2008 5:52:01 AM

Hello Lydia,

Very interesting article. I always enjoy learning about the customs and origins of different cultures and religions.

What do you say Happy Great Saturday? Well enjoy today and have a very Happy Easter.

Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/26/2008 3:04:05 PM
CHRONIA POLLA
LYDIA AND RUSSIA

From the Catholic Long Week
and the Imperial Hours

This is from the Last Farewel Orthodox Liturgi.

Click above

TO THE HOLY EASTER DAY IN GREECE
5 weeks later.

The Holy Days or The Long Week is a period for affection, reunion and family hapiness. Visit your elders, give them a smile. Send your smiles to the world for love and peace. The Iranians made a good gesture to let us have a PEACEFUL EASTER. You can make another friend feel happy.

Click on the picture to listen a very-very nice song   RISEN

Said the angel, “He is risen!”
Tell it out with joyful voice:
He has burst His three days’ prison;
Let the whole wide earth rejoice:
Death is conquered, we are free,
Christ has won the victory. Come, ye sad and fearful hearted,
With glad smile and radiant brow!
Death’s long shadows have departed;
All our woes are over now,
Due to passion that He bore—
Sin and pain can vex no more. Come, with high and holy hymning,
Chant our Lord’s triumphant day;
Not one darksome cloud is dimming
Yonder glorious morning ray,
Breaking over the purple east:
Brighter far our Easter feast. He is risen, He is risen!
He has opened Heaven’s gate:
We are free from sin’s dark prison,
Risen to a holier state;
And a brighter Easter beam
On our longing eyes shall stream.by Words:
Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, 1846.

HE IS RISEN
CHRISTOS ANESTI

PEACE TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
Sharing Global heritage and eternal love

CHRISTOS ANESTI

With Respect and Love
Georgios

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
4/27/2008 1:28:45 AM
Hello Lydia,

Thank you for sharing this information with us.

May I also wish you a "Happy Great Saturday" and a "Happy Easter".

God Bless
Gaby

God Bless Everyone
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!