Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Ancient Greece: The Greek Theater - Dionysian rituals
4/20/2008 3:06:41 AM

The Origin of Modern Treagedy

THE GREEK THEATRE

The origins of tragedy in the modern world especially in West are obscure, but it is certainly derived from the poetic and religious traditions of the ancient Hellas (Greece). Its roots may be traced more specifically to the dithyrambs, the chants and dances honouring the Greek god Dionysus, to the Romans known as Bacchus.

Click above - Video Clicp: History of Theater

These drunken ecstatic performances were said to have been created by the satyrs, this strange figures, half-goat beings who surrounded Dionysus in his revelry. Prhynichos, son of Polyphradmon and pupil of Thespis, was one of the earliest of the Hellenic (Greek) tragedians. Some of the ancients, indeed, regarded him as the real founder of tragedy. He gained his first poetical victory in 511 BC.

Tragedy, origin and definition:
The word's origin is Greek (
τραγωδία) and contracted from [τράγος+αοιδία “tragos-aoidia”] meaning "goat song" from ‘tragos’ = "goat" and ‘aeidein’ = "to sing".
Later in ancient Greece, the word "tragedy" meant any serious drama, not merely those with a sad ending.

Picture: Sochos' Carnival
 Video Clip: Olympic Games Athens 2004
Dionysos Party - Wedding
Click above

This meaning may have referred to any of these: Goat-like costumes worn by actors who played the satyrs. A goat being presented as a prize at a song contest. The actors being paid a goat as their pay for appearing on stage. That the first half is not "goat" but 'trageîn' (in 2nd aorist infinitive of trōgein) means "to gnaw". From the same root we have trogo [τρώγω] meaning “to eat”.

Maenads-Achilles
Sexy traditional carnival song
Click above

There is some dissent to the dithyrambic origins of tragedy mostly based in the differences between the shapes of their choruses and styles of dancing. A common descent from pre-Hellenic fertility and burial rites has been suggested. Aristotle is very clear in his Poetics that tragedy proceeded from the authors of the Dithyramb.

Theories of tragedy

The philosopher Aristotle theorized in his work “The Poetics” that tragedy results in a catharsis (emotional cleansing) of healing for the audience through their experience of these emotions in response to the suffering of the characters in the drama. Not all plays that are broadly categorized as "tragedies" result in this type of cathartic ending, though – some have neutral or even ambiguously happy endings. Exactly what constitutes a "tragedy", however, is a frequently debated matter. Some hold that any story with a sad ending is a tragedy, whereas others demand that the story fit a set of requirements often based on Aristotle to be considered a tragedy.

Warm Regards
Georgios

Updated 2009.03.10

This Topic is posted in the FORUM GREECE

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Dimitra Bravou

1603 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Ancient Greece: The Greek Theater I
4/20/2008 3:29:30 AM
Hello Georgios,

You're always posting interesting posts. I'm sure our friends here will love your new work.

Enjoy your Sunday,

Dimitra

+0
Nick Mys

357 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Ancient Greece: The Greek Theater - Dionysian rituals
4/20/2008 4:18:47 AM

Международный день театраAntique tradition: with arrival to the Earth of spring to celebrate ancient Greek God Dionisy, the patron and the founder " spring Dionisy " - solemn processions of retinue of the patron of enologists, grain-growers, wood inhabitants. Itself Dionisy put on the skin of a wild animal turned out inside out, a head decorated with a grapevine, and went ahead of the retinue, blowing in a horn.

And in Ancient Russia very much loved  comedies in which the main thing was the buffoon in the bear skin. Were crumpled not simply cheerfully, but naughty and even angrily. Were pursued both executors, and authors of comedies. But it did not stop ancient Russian, very sharp on language.

+0
4/20/2008 6:03:55 AM
Thanks for the interesting information, Georgios and I am sure much more will be added.  We learn something new every day at ALP.
Shirley Manion
Shirley Manion MoneyMakers, Shopping, blogs, fun places http://www.connectionsecrets.com/webmasterhelpers Shopping Bargains and Deals Connections http://www.connectionsecrets.com/bargainshopping Your own fun Iggly Biggly business for only $20.00 h
+0
Chris Agostarola

979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/20/2008 8:17:55 AM

Georgios,

Such interesting lessons you always teach us! Thank you for sharing!

huggggsssss,

Chris

Chris Agostarola LunaWolf's Mystical Essence http://lunawolfsmysticalessence.com/store/affiliate.asp?aff=71 FREE TO JOIN!!! Watkins www.watkinsonline.com rep#380993 to join : http://www.tsginfo.com/index.php?rc=CA4792
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!