Search for People

Enter part of a name below to search our members.

Advanced
You are viewing a single thread.
Click here to view the entire wall.

Get These Amazing Deals!

Hafiz 2013
+7
Hafiz 2013: 1522 days ago

I have a question( confusion too).

Which one is better in forum posting? for keeping reader more engaged? or which one is more comfortable?

1. Make new topic in the forum?

Or

2. Make new reply in the same thread?
Diane Bjorling
+5
Diane Bjorling: 1522 days ago

personally I have always treated a forum more like a blog and when talking about something that is new, I create a new topic. I look at how I name the forum ( kind of like naming a blog) and when I post to that particular forum, then the topics become their own categories. I then make a point of sharing the forums elsewhere, via twitter, pinterest ( why its so important to add images), Facebook and all the social networks). This is just my personal opinion and I am sure other people have their own way of doing things.
Hafiz 2013
+5

Think both systems have advantages and disadvantages.If you make new topic, it you keep that on the top of the thread like a blog. So when others will reply or comments, it will still on top. Visitors can get others post at a glance. But if you have a forum with same things to post repeatedly, then I think post in same thread will be good option. But in later case, it will be hard to find a particular post.(sometime, i forget to remind a post where or which page it is posted).
Hafiz 2013
+5

*sorry for some grammatical mistake in my last post. :(
Jim Allen
+3
Jim Allen: 1522 days ago

I prefer to thread my topics, I do not start new threads for same theme of different title. This way there is more discussion and thread views which means more active targeted threads than low view singular threads. It builds Authority on a topic/category/niche because good threads get lost due to inactivity. Plus this cuts down on the spammy effect creating new threads for similar topic themes can fill inboxes if notifications are set to notified of new threads instead of new posts.
Jim Allen
+3

You can change titles and what the thread topic has changed to by adjusting those spots when creating a new post in an existing thread.
Jim Allen
+3

So using keywords in Titles and Thread Title is key to ranking
Jim Allen
+3

Like Categories on a blog you keep themes in same categories. Some do require a category or niche of its own. I guess you call it Siloing or something like that. But I am no expert on this stuff I know some and have been around for a time.
Diane Bjorling
+3

thanks for the input Jim and well said! I am so used to doing things from a certain perspective, it is always good to hear how others think...
Bogdan Fiedur
+3
Bogdan Fiedur: 1522 days ago

One technical addition to this discussion. Of course there are various systems which might handle differently the same action.

When you post new thread at Adlandpro, all subscribers to the forum will be notified about it. When you make another post to the existing thread, only those who are part of this thread will be notified.

New thread has much larger reach, unless there are no subscribers to your forum.
Diane Bjorling
+3

I learned something new! Thanks Bogdan and knowing this I will keep doing as I had been doing ( did that make sense?) lol
Bogdan Fiedur
+4

There are other options by which you can be noticed.
If you are followed, anything you post will be notified to the person following you.

Also each forum thread has a checkbox at the top which says, "notify me when someone replies to this thread"

In such case person is not a subscriber to the forum, but just follows this thread but is not participating in it.
Hafiz 2013
+4

Thanks for put yours thought here. In my two forum I am posting same type of things in existing thread but I have seen some expert forum posters who are making few topics or thread and each thread is having one main post and others are only replied or discussions. So I thought which should be followed. new thread or new reply in existing thread.

As discussion is going on, i have another question regarding post link in the forum. We can share any post via social sharing option anytime but other then social site, e.g i want to give one of my older post in a long existing thread in skype to my skype friend while chatting. where and how can i find the sharing link of that particular post? is there any option? can any one help me finding the way?
Bogdan Fiedur
+4

When you open the post or thread, e.g.
http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/forum/559342/My-health.aspx

All you need to do is copy link from the browser url bar.
Whatever you are looking at has link to it in the browser. You just need to highlit this link and copy it and past it into your skype conversation.

By clicking this icon

you can send an email with link to that forum or thread.
Hafiz 2013
+5

By this way I can send the link of a thread. like One of my thread in my forum is 'advantages of taking fruits' and i can send link like http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/post/2638490/Advantages-of-taking-fruits.aspx?flag=13hafiz34#.UhTrZP2_kwA

when one will click on this, he will be taken to the first page of the thread.
This will take to Second page: http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/post/2638490/Advantages-of-taking-fruits/2.aspx#.UhTrvP2_kwA

Each page has 5 posts. But I want to give the link of post regarding 'apple'(4th post in second page) specifically. My question was 'how can i get the link of the post of 'apple'?

Sorry for lots of questions:( But sometimes I need the link)!!
Jim Allen
+3

So when posting a new thread this creates a notice to everyone in your forum, agreed. But this actually reduces forum views over a period of time. IMV starting a new thread for advertising purpose makes since but keeping a conversation going makes more sense you follow Diane's past suggestions IE: Relationship Building means having conversations even multiple ones but if you are basically covering the same topic shouldn't it be continued in the initial conversation or moved to somewhere else altogether. This is a conundrum you must balance the reason you are doing forum postings. Are you blasting and being busy bee or are you stopping smelling the flowers so to speak getting to know or share your observations. If Luis and I started a New Thread for every bit of news we share imagine how annoying that could be. Or worse yet cause folks to leave the forum. Building relations having meaningful conversations, building relations, getting to know your folks. Did that just get blowed out the window? Not to mention threads with high view counts get more attention it seems and more might from the serps, unless I am mistaken.
Diane Bjorling
+3

great thoughts Jim and one that even bloggers have to contend with. Anything you do should be about relationship building and enjoying a good conversation. Just like anything you do, it needs thought and not rush into anything. While I am comfortable doing what is right for me..it is obviously not the only way of doing things and there is no one size fits all...great points
Jim Allen
+3

Hafiz go to the post edit it then post then copy url in browser it will point to that exact post i believe
Diane Bjorling
+5

Hi Hafiz, I have found the solution. One every post and every comment made in a forum there is a share button. When you click on the "share" then on "twitter" a box will open with a link to the post you are wanting to share. It will have your "username" inside of the link by the way. I just did it for the section you are wanting to share..apple
http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/post/2638490/Advantages-of-taking-fruits.aspx?id=11689077&refer=helgit#a_post_11689077
While this may seem time consuming..it isnt and hint..when you share on Twitter etc...people will be seeing your forum. does this help?
Bogdan Fiedur
+5

Jim's idea will work but there is simpler one using share button. Go to the post you want to share link for. Hover over the

button and select Twitter. The window will pop-up with link to this post and some text. Just copy the link and paste it anywhere you want to share it.
Hafiz 2013
+5

Thanks Jim, Diane and Bogdan! I have noticed this way with twitter previously. I thought there may be other options. so i asked.
But one thing. Every time, i will hit twitter button for the link, total share count in twitter will be increased too. So visitors will think that it is good post and people are twitting it quite well, right? :P
Bogdan Fiedur
+4

I'm not sure if Twitter really increases until you actually complete the post. Since you have brought this up, we will look how to improve it. This wouldn't be big task.
Sadia Khawar
+4
Sadia Khawar: 1522 days ago

i don't know :p may be both ,may be one or may be the other one ,any other possibility??
Hafiz 2013
+4

Both can be tried SK!

your confusion is right Bogden. If i don't hit the 'tweet' button in pop up window, it will not be counted. But If i go to twitter pop up via 'share' button, then total share will be increased. However, thank for making me clear. :)
Sadia Khawar
+4
Sadia Khawar: 1522 days ago

okk
Ken Wolff
+4
Ken Wolff: 1521 days ago

Great conversation! Thank you all. I learned several new things and feel that this is all worth saving. So I copied it and posted it in a new thread in the "Handy Tools to Help With Your Sites and Adlandpro" forum: http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/post/2654232/Saving-a-valuable-wall-post-where-you-can-find-it.aspx#.UhT7JD_4CgQ
Hafiz 2013
+4
Hafiz 2013: 1521 days ago

Thanks for saving it Ken! We all are learning here. Gradually, daily, slowly but consistently!
Dave Cottrell
+3
Dave Cottrell: 1521 days ago

Now this is the kind of conversation I really like to see, and thank you, Ken, for saving it. It's very worthwhile.

Many thanks for asking the question, Hafiz, and thank you to Diane, Jim and Bogdan for the good points. I think they all underline my initial thoughts when I first saw the question, that both forum replies and new forum threads are valuable.

I recommend doing both. Start a new thread when you have something of value to contribute, as Ken has done by creating a new thread for this conversation. That has real value and will draw readers and comments. Make intelligent, relevant comments and ask intelligent, relevant questions in replies on other, existing threads.

Always use a signature file with your name and link. There is no easier to brand yourself online, and it is very fast. If you do this regularly, you will find that out of all the folks online that have the same name as you (there may be millions!!) you will rise to the top of page one on Google.

Of course, this is just an indicator that what you are doing is working in branding you, and few folks will be searching for your business by your name, but you can be sure that your link and its keywords are also rising in the ranking when you do these things.
Hafiz 2013
+3

Thanks Dave for adding or thought too!
Jim Allen
+4
Jim Allen: 1521 days ago

Well moving it to a forum defeats the benefit of the sporadic conversation that happens. Saving it for future use is as simple as Scooping it to your blog then the thread lives on forever and stirring new conversations. There are many ways of doing this, of course but for raw appeal where its at has it all.
Diane Bjorling
+3
Diane Bjorling: 1521 days ago

now you are one very smart fellow Jim! I dont mind it being saved to a forum as I can also refer back to it, especially when there is a lot of activity on the wall!
Diane Bjorling
+3

I took your advise Jim lol http://www.scoop.it/t/adlandpro
Jim Allen
+2
Jim Allen
+3

Diane Bjorling
+3

a great post on your blog Jim...well done and thanks for talking about Bogdan's blog as well, that was a lovely surprise!
Ken Wolff
+3
Ken Wolff: 1521 days ago

Awesome! And there are more than one way to save valuable educational discussions, Jim suggested Scooping it...Diane did and I will....sharing things with your friends and followers on Twitter, Facebook, Google and your other favorite networks is also a plus. I just shared this on G
Jim Allen
+2

I should have said spontaneous instead of sporadic duh... LOL
Diane Bjorling
+2

well sometimes the conversations have indeed been sproadic, but when the spontaneous talk happens..wow they happen in style!
Mr. D
+4
Mr. D: 1521 days ago

You can do your own saving conversations and returning to them with a click of the mouse without all that other stuff of saving in forums, cresting e new thread of your saved conversations and we getting notices of new thread with conversations.
Just open your text editor or any word processor and name it what ever you like to know they are quick links to Threads of Interest.
Anytime you want to get back to them and reference them just open the file and all links will be there as you place them.
Click on them and they will open AdlandPro and go to the thread.
Just hyperlink them so they are clickable.

AdlandPro Quick Links

http://community.adlandpro.com/home.aspx?t=8549&p=28393&refer=keetoo#StatusPost_28393_a

http://community.adlandpro.com/home.aspx?t=8536&p=28350&refer=keetoo#StatusPost_28350_a
Mr. D
+4

this is a screen shot of a text editor that is a small example of saving post for a reference for yourself to any thread that may get forgotten or just moved down the list. To answer your question: New topics are new topics, reply's are done in the same topic.
Hafiz 2013
+4

Thanks Mark for another way of saving the links of post in the wall.
Don't mind plz. Ur answer is not upto my question:-P
Adlanders are busy with savings. Not interested about discussion regarding my question:-P or may be all are satisfied with the answers all ready given:-)
Branka Babic
+4
Branka Babic: 1521 days ago

WOW this is almost a little e-book. I should take a few days of vacation to study this thread, but I see it as being worth of that. Thanks to all who shared so useful tips and advices.
Being Shuvo
+1
Being Shuvo: 1521 days ago

i am agree with u branka ;)
Hafiz 2013
+2

I think discussion was missing something(someone). now it is fulfilled!! Glad you like it BB and Shuvo!
Sadia Khawar
+2
Sadia Khawar: 1521 days ago

If H2 is Glad then me too :P
Hafiz 2013
+2

Thanks SK!

Here is another thing!
Sometime i get invitation for joining the forum. I join but when try to post something, it shows that your post can not be made as the forum is not active or something like that. My question is, if the forum is not active, then why and how the forum owner send me the invitation? Or is it the system which send invitation for various forum periodically?
Being Shuvo
+2
Being Shuvo: 1521 days ago

i think the answer is....the owner of forum doesn't selected/mark "active check box" at the time of creating forum
"Not sure tho"
Mr. D
+2

Forums have to have a post made in them within a month, if no post they become inactive. Only the forum owner or creator can reactivate it by editing and clicking activate. There are hundreds of these forums still around and they is a data base of all invitations in your profile. The invitations are still active. If you are getting new invitations, and this is still happening, that would be something I am not aware of. maybe you are just now getting to the old invites.
Mr. D
+2

The defaults settings on the creator box is set to active and invite friends. If this is changed I can understand not inviting friends until maybe there is still work that needs to be do to make it complete. But to invite friends to an inactive forum makes no sense, and if this is so, the system should not let this happen. Kind of... whats the point?
Mr. D
+2

Remember there are so many forums that are incomplete and nothing has ever come of them. They are for advertisements mostly, or just blindly creating a forum as there are no rules to how many, how often, and for what. It is an open playground that is misused by some and greatly rewarding for others. If you are looking to do a forum, then we are looking for you to do it with some thought. the name of it, the description of it, and then you first thread with a editor that brings out the greatness of it. People will come to the forum, but at least one thread should be place for them to go to.
Hafiz 2013
+3

Thanks Mark for letting us know about this issue. I am not getting such invitation now but I got few in last month.

I have also seen some public forum which are not active. It is only making loads on database. People can only read the existing post, can not add their post there. So what is the usefulness of having that forum still? I think there should be a time limit beyond which the inactive thread will be deleted(it is just my thinking).
Mr. D
+2

Yes, i agree to what you are saying about the deleting of inactive forums. But when and how long do they stay inactive before this happens???? I have my own that became inactive just because busy or for example no one was playing chess at the time. I am not interested in having it deleted by administrative but at the same time maybe a reminder or warning that this may happen to give me a chance to make active, would be an option I would be willing to go with.
Mr. D
+2

I think it would be a good time to do a clean up with inactive forums. To many by users that are no longer around.
Bogdan Fiedur
+4
Bogdan Fiedur: 1521 days ago

Regarding inactive forums and invitations. As Mark noted, forums are made inactive within a month of inactivity. If you accept invitation after a month of inactivity, this would be the case.

Cleaning inactive forums.
I though about it. Definitely there are forums here which can be safely removed as they are not adding value to this site and are stale and outdated. There are also old forums which have good content and always current. They might be still source of traffic to this site, like older articles.

Forums are sorted by date of activity in the category they belong to, so you have good indicator about this forum before you look into it looking at the data when last post was made in it.

This effort will require manual review and determining if forum is of use even if is old.
Hafiz 2013
+4

Definitely there are some good,useful and instructive posts in some inactive forums. What is doing right work for the site indeed.
But if is thought about deleting inactive forums, it should have some rules. There should be particular time limit. Before final decision, forum owner can be warned via email or other possible ways. The valuable post can be saved in any archives.
It is really time consuming as Bogdan told that it must be done manually. But if it helps to reduce some loads of this site, this can be considered. :)
Diane Bjorling
+3

very nice thoughts Hafiz!
Hafiz 2013
+5
Hafiz 2013: 1520 days ago

Thanks Diane!!
My Links