Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
The Christian and Healthful Living...
3/22/2008 10:16:47 PM

As we are thinking about Easter this weekend, let's remember that Christ gave us the opportunity to have good health. It's up to us, to keep our bodies in shape and in tune with nature.

------------------------------

THE CHRISTIAN, RECOGNIZING THAT HIS BODY BELONGS TO GOD, WILL TRY TO PRESERVE IT IN THE BEST POSSIBLE CONDITION

1 Corinthians 6:19,20  We are  to glorify God in our bodies, which are called the temple of God

"To glorify God in our body temples is to give them proper care, resulting in health of body, mind, and soul.  Unhealthful conditions should be changed, wrong habits corrected.  The true agencies for the maintenance of optimum health are "pure air, sunlight, abstemiousness, rest, exercise, proper diet, the use of water, and trust in divine power." --Ministry of Healing, p. 127--

1 Corinthians 3:16,17  Those who defile the body temple will be destroyed

Daniel 1:8  Improper eating and drinking defiles the body

Genesis 1:29  Man's original diet consisted of fruits, nuts, grains and vege-tables

Deuteronomy 14:2-6  After the flood, man was permitted to eat of the flesh of clean animals

Deuteronomy 14:7-10  Leviticus 11  He was told not to eat of the unclean animals

Acts 10:13,14  The distinction between the clean and the unclean animals was recognized by the apostle Peter

Isaiah 66:15-17  This distinction will still be recognized at the second coming of Christ

Proverbs 20:1  Proverbs 23:29-35  The Bible warns against the use of intoxicating beverages

1 Corinthians 10:31  We are to eat and drink only that which will bring glory to God

1 John 3:1-3  Those ready for the coming of Jesus will be a pure people

By those seeking to glorify God in the care of their bodies there will be total abstinance from the use of the unclean flesh foods, intoxicating drinks, tobacco, and narcotics.  Seventh-Day Adventists also educate their members towards the advantages of the vegetarian diet, and to the harmful effects of coffee, tea, and cola beverages.  Scientific research in the field of health and nutrition gives ample evidence to the soundness of these views.  Those awaiting the coming of the Lord will strive to bring their lives into harmony with these established principles.

THE CHRISTIAN IS AWARE OF THE TWO NATURES STRIVING FOR THE MASTERY, AND WILL THROUGH FAITH AND SURRENDER, SEEK FOR VICTORY OF THE SPIRITUAL OVER THE CARNAL

Romans 7:14-25  These two natures are constantly in conflict with each other

Romans 8:1-10  Galations 5:16-25  Galations 2:20  Victory for the spiritual nature is possible only through constant surrender to the guidance and control of the the Holy Spirit, whereby God's law is fulfilled in us

Romans 6:16  All that one does in the use of the five senses feeds one or the other of these two natures.  Therefore, how important are the pleasures we engage in,  the food and drink we partake of,  the things we read or look upon, the way we clothe our bodies.  For in each of these we are nourishing the old man or the new.  And the one we feed will be the master of our life

-----------------------------

Recognizing that my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit;  I desire to dedicate it a living sacrifice to Him;  endeavoring to eat and drink to the glory of God, using food and drink that will keep my body in best condition,  and totally abstaining from all intoxicating liquors,  tobacco in all forms,  swine's flesh,  and other unclean or harmful food or drink...and what about you friend?

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: The Christian and Healthful Living...
3/22/2008 11:14:46 PM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/22/2008 11:20:29 PM

Nick, you are one of my blessings :)

+0
Bruce Macomber

216 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
3/23/2008 12:18:11 AM
Hi Jim,

A blessed Easter to you.

I agree, healthy living is a good thing.

I would respectfully disagree on a point of legalism, though, for the sake of discussion.

In regards to clean and unclean animals, God's Word is extremely clear.

In Mark 7,  Jesus is taking the opportunity to address spiritual matters with the Pharisees. However, He does so, speaking, as always, in Truth, and is directly answering a question:

“Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?”

When Jesus said “Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man: but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.”, He meant exactly that.

To remain caught up in the legalisms of Leviticus, for example, only serves to deny the work of Christ and condemn ourselves.

I ask you, how far are you willing to take your dedication to the law? There are some serious consequences meted out in Leviticus and other OT texta.

Consider Romans 9:30-32:

30What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.

31But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

32Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

33As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

On another point, please pay closer attention to the context of the references made above to Corinthians 3 and 6.

Lastly, my friend, I urge you to take Romans 14 to heart:

Romans 14

1Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

2For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

3Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

4Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

7For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

8For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

Blessings,

Bruce
http://christiansoldiersonline.org

+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/23/2008 9:21:36 AM

Hi Bruce, long time no hear! Happy Easter to you also. If you noticed, I used texts from the old and the new testament. The health principle is one that is a principle only, and is only a recommendation, not a commandment. The Bible is quite explicit about what will happen to those who do not apply the principle, however.

In Mark Chapter 7, Jesus was talking about what goes in and what goes out of the body. He later on in the chapter refers to this as not to food, but to what we read and retain in our minds, and let it out later in the form of evil words and actions. It is always possible to tear something down, and turn it into something which is more in our favor, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts together!

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!