Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Can You Imagin. A Unified Advocacy For Autism.
4/13/2008 2:29:44 PM

Hello There St. Nick

Thank You for stopping by and for the reminder that April is Autism Awareness Month.

For anyone who may not know the purpose of this forum , I would like to share my plan with you. Autism is a disorder that effects at least 1 out of every 150 children born in the U.S. This rate is continually rising and so far, there is no explaination for this. It is believed by many that autism is linked to childhood vaccinations. This is something that I personally believe as well. In my research I have discovered that autism does not exist in the Amish communities where children are not vaccinated. This fact alone should at least warrant more research on the possible causes of autism. There has been a tremendous amount of misinformation and biased research on autism and much of it has been funded by the drug companies that produce these vaccines. Also, in most states, insurance companies are not required to cover the costs of treating autism.

With these things in mind, I hope to increase awareness about autism and join the ranks of the many thousands of people involved in the advocacy to eliminate this very common and devastating disorder.

My objective for starting this forum in Adlandpro is to bring all 70,000 members into the advocacy for autism campaigne. I believe that we, as a community, could have a huge impact on how our government responds to the needs of families effected by autism.

So, if you have already responded to this forum, I thank you kindly. Also, I would like to ask you to share this link with your friends and family members so that we might draw even more attention to this great cause. If you see this forum and are interested in joining our cause, please make a post to let us know you are with us. Very little is required to act as an advocate. Perhaps an email or a letter to your congressional leaders. Maybe a phone call now and then to remind our political leaders that those with autism need their support and our votes may very well depend on the amount of support we get from our perspective representatives.

Here is somethig else you can do to help us with this cause.

Donation through Little Playdates

The Little Playdates Company Donating DVDs to Help the National Autism Association during Autism Awareness Month in April

SALT LAKE CITY--Throughout Autism Awareness Month, The Little Playdates Company is offering their award-winning social building DVDs free to the first 500 people who make a donation to the National Autism Association.

Little Playdates is a long-time sponsor of NAA and features a 30-second public service announcement on the early detection of autism in each of their videos.

During the month of April, representatives from Little Playdates and the National Autism Association will be available for media interviews to discuss autism and video modeling.

Autism affects 1 in 150 children in the U.S., making it more prevalent than pediatric cancer, diabetes, and AIDS combined.

To make a donation to NAA and receive a free Little Playdates DVD, please visit:
http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/proddetail.php?prod=LittlePlaydatesDonation

Media contacts:  To schedule an interview with NAA and The Little Playdates Company, please contact Wendy Fournier, wendy@nationalautism.org, 877-622-2884; or, JoAnne Pettry, joanne@littleplaydates.com, 801-550-3066.

Pictured above:  NAA President Wendy Fournier with Little Playdates CEO JoAnne Pettry

Think Autism. Think Cure. ®

Sincerely, Billdaddy

May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
4/13/2008 11:01:59 PM

Greetings All

Can you imagin the frustration that a parent feels as they watch their child transform from a happy, perfectly normal little baby into a toddler that seems to no longer even know their mother and father. This is the heartbreak of autism. In many cases it robs the family of the joy and happiness that was so much a part of having babies and raising them to adulthood. There is much more that can be done to help these families. I truly hope that we, the members of Adlandpro, can be a part of what helps these families find more joy and happiness in their lives. It is time to Cure Autism. We are very close now and there is more hope now than ever before.

NO AUTISM FOR UNVACCINATED AMISH?
The Age of Autism: 'A pretty big secret'

UPI | December 7, 2005
By DAN OLMSTED

It's a far piece from the horse-and-buggies of Lancaster County, Pa., to the cars and freeways of Cook County, Ill.

But thousands of children cared for by Homefirst Health Services in metropolitan Chicago have at least two things in common with thousands of Amish children in rural Lancaster: They have never been vaccinated. And they don't have autism.

"We have a fairly large practice. We have about 30,000 or 35,000 children that we've taken care of over the years, and I don't think we have a single case of autism in children delivered by us who never received vaccines," said Dr. Mayer Eisenstein, Homefirst's medical director who founded the practice in 1973. Homefirst doctors have delivered more than 15,000 babies at home, and thousands of them have never been vaccinated.

The few autistic children Homefirst sees were vaccinated before their families became patients, Eisenstein said. "I can think of two or three autistic children who we've delivered their mother's next baby, and we aren't really totally taking care of that child -- they have special care needs. But they bring the younger children to us. I don't have a single case that I can think of that wasn't vaccinated."

The autism rate in Illinois public schools is 38 per 10,000, according to state Education Department data; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention puts the national rate of autism spectrum disorders at 1 in 166 -- 60 per 10,000.

"We do have enough of a sample," Eisenstein said. "The numbers are too large to not see it. We would absolutely know. We're all family doctors. If I have a child with autism come in, there's no communication. It's frightening. You can't touch them. It's not something that anyone would miss."

No one knows what causes autism, but federal health authorities say it isn't childhood immunizations. Some parents and a small minority of doctors and scientists, however, assert vaccines are responsible.

This column has been looking for autism in never-vaccinated U.S. children in an effort to shed light on the issue. We went to Chicago to meet with Eisenstein at the suggestion of a reader, and we also visited Homefirst's office in northwest suburban Rolling Meadows. Homefirst has four other offices in the Chicago area and a total of six doctors.

Eisenstein stresses his observations are not scientific. "The trouble is this is just anecdotal in a sense, because what if every autistic child goes somewhere else and (their family) never calls us or they moved out of state?"

In practice, that's unlikely to account for the pronounced absence of autism, says Eisenstein, who also has a bachelor's degree in statistics, a master's degree in public health and a law degree.

Homefirst follows state immunization mandates, but Illinois allows religious exemptions if parents object based either on tenets of their faith or specific personal religious views. Homefirst does not exclude or discourage such families. Eisenstein, in fact, is author of the book "Don't Vaccinate Before You Educate!" and is critical of the CDC's vaccination policy in the 1990s, when several new immunizations were added to the schedule, including Hepatitis B as early as the day of birth. Several of the vaccines -- HepB included -- contained a mercury-based preservative that has since been phased out of most childhood vaccines in the United States.

Medical practices with Homefirst's approach to immunizations are rare. "Because of that, we tend to attract families that have questions about that issue," said Dr. Paul Schattauer, who has been with Homefirst for 20 years and treats "at least" 100 children a week.

Schattauer seconded Eisenstein's observations. "All I know is in my practice I don't see autism. There is no striking 1-in-166," he said.

Earlier this year we reported the same phenomenon in the mostly unvaccinated Amish. CDC Director Dr. Julie Gerberding told us the Amish "have genetic connectivity that would make them different from populations that are in other sectors of the United States." Gerberding said, however, studies "could and should be done" in more representative unvaccinated groups -- if they could be found and their autism rate documented.

Chicago is America's prototypical "City of Big Shoulders," to quote Carl Sandburg, and Homefirst's mostly middle-class families seem fairly representative. A substantial number are conservative Christians who home-school their children. They are mostly white, but the Homefirst practice also includes black and Hispanic families and non-home-schooling Jews, Catholics and Muslims.

They tend to be better educated, follow healthier diets and breast-feed their children much longer than the norm -- half of Homefirst's mothers are still breast-feeding at two years. Also, because Homefirst relies less on prescription drugs including antibiotics as a first line of treatment, these children have less exposure to other medicines, not just vaccines.

http://www.infowars.com/articles/science/autism_none_for_unvaccinated_amish.htm

Sincerely, Billdaddy

May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
4/14/2008 9:35:28 AM

If you're unable to view the above image, please click here:  http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/images/membership2008-2.jpg

For more information on the benefits of becoming a supporting member of NAA,
please visit http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/join.php

Think Autism. Think Cure.

+0
4/15/2008 11:33:35 AM
+0
4/15/2008 9:54:54 PM

If you're unable to view the above image, please click here:  http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/images/membership2008-3.jpg

For more information on the benefits of becoming a supporting member of NAA,
please visit http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/join.php

Think Autism. Think Cure.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!