Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Luella's Kitchen: IRISH BUTTERMILK SCONES
3/12/2008 11:14:16 PM

Irish Buttermilk Scones

Canola oil spray
1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
2 Tbsp.unrefined sugar (better still, substitute honey)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with canola oil spray and set it aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the cranberries and caraway seeds and mix until combined.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and butter. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing with a wooden spoon until just blended. This will form a fluffy, moist dough.

Divide the dough into 6 balls and place onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 3 inches apart.

Bake the scones for about 20 minutes, or until they are lightly browned on top and feel firm when pressed in the center. Transfer the cooked scones from the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool slightly.

Serve the scones hot, accompanied by your favorite all-fruit preserves.

Makes 6 serving.

Per serving: 240 calories, 5 g total fat (2 g saturated fat),
44 g carbohydrates, 6 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 310 mg sodium.

To see more AICR recipes visit our Recipe Corner.

AICR's Diet and Health Guidelines for Cancer Prevention.

For more delicious and healthy recipes, please visit The Best Years in Life

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Luella's Kitchen: IRISH BUTTERMILK SCONES
3/12/2008 11:32:02 PM
OMG ! They almost look like hamburgers and I have a great friend who loves hamburgers he just might like scones !

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/13/2008 8:28:49 AM

Nick!

LOL LOL LOL!  He'll love scones!

Irish Buttermilk Scones

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/13/2008 3:08:06 PM

Hi Luella,

Sorry that I missed the last couple of recipes.  Been one of those weeks.

My what a Delicious Treat was waiting when I did get back.  Just in time for St. Paddy's Day.

I do indeed love Scones.  Adding the Cranberries definitely perked up my Tastebuds.  The last time I made them, I did Blueberry, but I like Cranberries even more.

Blueberry Scones

3 3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 c. shortening
2 tbsp. cold butter
1 c. blueberries
3/4 c. milk
2 eggs

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the shortening and butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add blueberries and toss lightly to distribute. In a separate bowl using a fork beat together the milk and eggs until well blended. Using a large spoon gently stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture. With floured hands gather the dough up and place on a floured surface. Sprinkle the top lightly with additional flour and pat the dough out to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.

Using a 2 1/2-inch fluted or rounded cutter, cut the scones out (dipping the cutter in flour before and after each one) and place them on a lightly greased baking sheet. Gather up the scraps and cut additional scones until all the dough is used. Sprinkle the tops of the scones with granulated sugar and bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Do not over bake or scones will be dry. Serve with blueberry butter.

Blueberry Butter

1 qt. blueberries
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 sticks butter
Water
1 c. confectioners' sugar

Wash blueberries and put in pot to boil. Just cover berries with water. Boil for 5 minutes or until they shrivel. Juice will be dark blue. Strain berries; put remaining juice back on stove to boil. Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with just enough water to make a paste. Add to juice; bring to boil over medium heat. Cook until thickened. Let stand until cool. Add butter and 1 cup of confectioners' sugar; mix. Refrigerate for several hours.

This is also good on muffins, biscuits or blueberry pancakes. May also be used as sauce for pies. Simply omit the butter and sugar, add whole blueberries and mix. Sauce may be added to softened cream cheese for a spread for your bread.  Delicious.

Thanks again for keeping my Tastebuds Tantalized.

Have A Blessed Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!