Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Social Workers knocking on the doors of Home Schoolers----Alert to what is coming
3/10/2008 11:31:01 AM

I usually  avoid political and religious discussions and comments here in Adlandpro because I respect the many views expressed here.  However, this I cannot passby as I feel it is an offense to law abiding citizens, people of integrity, and stepping on individual rights which we so much appreciate in America.

On Fri. I heard the following report from NPR (National Public Radio) on the new laws of the state of California.

On Friday, March 7, 2008 the new law has gone into affect forbidding parents to homeschool their children unless they are a licened teacher.  Parents are subject to having their children removed permanently from their homes and subject to fines.

There are 160,000 homeschoolers in California. Homeschoolers score at least 30 points obove those in public schools. So why are we penalizing those who are most successful at teaching their children?

What does this mean to you?  How many laws begin in the state of California and then fan out into the nation. Could it happen in your state?

+0
Re: Social Workers knocking on the doors of Home Schoolers----Alert to what is coming
3/10/2008 11:55:00 AM

It already has. But we can fight it. I once had a judge tell me because my daughter was in court over another girl she just happened to be with throwing a rock through a plate glass window, I would not be allowed to homeschool any more after successfully doing it for more than two years.

I pulled down a state senator through e-mail and this judge was made to apologize to me in open court, and my homeschool site was shown to everyone in the court room over a laptop hooked up to a big screen monitor.

This same judge was charged with nine felony gun violations over pistol whipping his ex wife's boyfriend and given a slap on the wrist and was back on the bench in less than two weeks. He spent the next three years punishing our family over being made to apologize. My two youngest children were taken away by the state and put into foster care. My youngest son is still there. My daughter came  home when she turned 18, but they never saw their dad alive again. The one time I got to see them was at his funeral. Our parental rights were taken away because of not being able to pay the enormous child support bill they wanted us to pay. It was more than our combined income.

My son is taking advantage and will be attending college on the state's money and will be coming home once he graduates. Now that he's 18 I can talk to him.

But this has been a very long and trying road. My husband's only wish before he died was to see his babies one more time.

This all happened in Kentucky. They can build up false claims and judges go by simply the size of the file they have on you, regardless of whether its founded or not.

I wrote a blog about this and have resources you can use to fight the injustice.

http://madmomfromky.blogspot.com

Becky

DID YOU KNOW? The U.S. Social Security Board reports that 85 out of 100 Americans reaching age 65 don't possess as much as $250. And only 2% are self-sustaining (the rest dependent on family, church, or the government)! Want to know what the "2-percenters" know that you don't? www.sfi4.com/11579740/FREE
+0
Re: Social Workers knocking on the doors of Home Schoolers----Alert to what is coming
3/10/2008 12:00:57 PM
Hi Mary,
Guess that we Mary's think alike!  ;-)
I'm not a teacher or a parent but I have several friends and neighbors that do home school their children.  Some of them for health related reasons and others because they don't agree with the way in which certain topics are presented in the public schools.  In most cases, I have been very impressed with the level of education and self-disipline that those students exhibit.  I feel that it is part of our rights as Americans to be able to make the decision as to where our children are going to be educated as long as they are being taught and are able to pass the board of education tests.
Thanks for sharing this article.
All the best,
Mary Kohlenberg
F5M Marketing Group
Email: meadowlark777@yahoo.com
Yahoo IM: MaryAtLakeside

Strangers are simply friends we haven’t met. If you aren’t a part of my circle of friends, please invite me.
+0
Joe
Joe Downing

9720 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/10/2008 12:07:06 PM
Hi Mary,

My wife and I have been homeschooling for 18 years now.  We have about 7 years to go and for my daughter's sake, I hope we are not interrupted by these new laws in other states.  I cringe every time someone speaks of having the government in charge of anything.  I know some wonderful people who work for our government, but sometimes their ideas about things just make you want to crick your head and say things like "wah?". 

I have recently been in discussions with someone here at Adland about a similar subject.  They believe that home schooling should be banned for the sake of the children growing up to be properly socialized and prepared for the harshness of the world.  Yikes!  Okay, there was one homeschooled kid that we ran across who wasn't quite in the groove of getting along with other kids.  But, I think it would have been worse for him if he had went to public schools.  It was simply his character to not be like everyone else.  He just wanted to be himself!  What is wrong with that?

My kids are the popular ones in our large neighborhood. We have some neighbors who you would imagine have the best and smartest kids on the block.  One is a police officer and the other is a certified elementary school teacher.  Their kids are flunking and fight with everyone on the street... except at my home where they spend a lot of time.  We hear all kinds of horror stories of what goes on behind the walls of the public schools where teachers and administration think they are in control. 

Of the many home school families that we know, none of the "teachers" are certified teachers, but they happen to be great dedicated parents who want to see their kids grow up with great self esteems and to be happy.  Most of these kids excel at everything!  All seem to find their own way into college without scholarships and grants.  They work and pay their own way if the parents don't have it.  Wow! I have to say that most are very picky as to whom they socialize with, but that is a good thing in my book.  Oh, I could go on and on about the benefits of home schooling, but it might become boring and doesn't really fit this subject.

What do I think about this new law in California?  I think it stinks!  I think those 160,000 kids and their parents and families and friends should be on the streets rioting... but they just happen to be of the most law abiding down to earth kind people you'll ever know.  Besides, the kids are probably being little busy bees studying something of great interest. 

I'm going to begin activating my political connections to speak out against this unnecessary law from spreading around this nation.

Thanks for letting us know what is going on.

Joe

***ADLAND BULLETIN BOARD*** What is Xtreme X2O? ###Get some X2O and Jerky RADICAL for the TRUTH! Laus Deo! ** HUG DEPARTMENT: Always OPE
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/10/2008 12:09:49 PM

Rebecca,  What a travisty of justice.  One has to be careful reporting things into the law as they may just turn it around on the person reporting it in.

Rights are eroding quickly and we must be on guard.  Parents should be permitted to teach their children as they see fit.  If the child is learning above the state norm why is the state threatened.

While in Washington D.C. last spring, I visited the Holocust Museum and one of the most memorable statements I saw was in that museum "Give me your children". This was the statement sent to the ghettos where the Jews were being held.  Turn over your children and the state will take care of molding of the mind.

Thank you for sharing Rebecca and I wish all to be well for you today.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!