Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Exercise May Ease Fibromyalgia Symptoms
1/2/2008 9:34:10 PM
I have fibromyalgia syndrome. I try to exercise 5 days a week. In warm weather I walk for 30 minutes. In bad weather I have been using exercise equipment at my local senior activity center. I do this 4 or 5 times a week for about 30 minutes. I am posting an article on how exercise may ease your symptoms if you have fibromyalgia.

Exercise May Ease Fibromyalgia Symptoms

Walking and Strength Training May Improve Fibromyalgia Symptoms and Quality of Life
By Jennifer Warner
WebMD Medical News
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Nov. 12, 2007 -- A simple exercise program that includes walking, stretching, and basic strength training may help control fibromyalgia symptoms.

Researchers found that women who followed the exercise program for four months experienced improvement of fibromyalgia symptoms and improved physical function for up to six months after the exercise program.

"Social function, mental health, fatigue, depression, and self-efficacy also improved," write Daniel S. Rooks, ScD, and colleagues in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

Those physical and psychological benefits were further enhanced when the women participated in an educational program about managing fibromyalgia symptoms.

Fibromyalgia affects about 3.4% of women and 0.5% of men in the U.S., which causes chronic pain throughout the body for at least three months along with muscle tenderness.

Researchers say it's a complex and poorly understood condition for which there is no cure and few treatments.

New Treatment for Fibromyalgia Symptoms

In the study, 207 women with fibromyalgia were randomly assigned to one of the following four treatment groups for 16 weeks:

• Aerobic exercise and flexibility only
  • Aerobic exercise and stretching plus strength training
  • No exercise and a self-help course on managing fibromyalgia symptoms
  • All of the exercises and the education course

The exercise groups met twice a week and gradually increased the length and intensity of their workouts and were instructed to exercise on their own one day a week as well.

The women filled out questionnaires about their physical and mental well-being, and researchers measured their fibromyalgia symptoms and physical function at the start of the study and again six months later.

The results showed the largest improvements in physical function, mental health, fatigue, and self-sufficiency were found among the groups that included exercise. The researchers note that the group that did all three exercises plus the educational course had the best self-reported scores from the questionnaires.

Researchers say the results suggest that a simple exercise plan including walking, stretching, and basic strength training movements can improve the symptoms of fibromyalgia and complement other forms of treatment of the disease.

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Exercise May Ease Fibromyalgia Symptoms
1/3/2008 5:51:12 AM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/4/2008 7:00:26 PM

Good point Nick. I think I'll choose to continue exercising. :)

DonnaZ

+0
1/11/2008 6:25:05 PM

Hello Donna,

I to have Fibro as I call it, I am 40 years old and have been fighting it for about 10 years now. I am borderline rhuematoid arthritic, so I have it coming and going. I swim allot when I can, and also I think this will help you as well...My body is low of minerals...so I take this liquid cocktail as I call it (No not alcohol) in fact alcohol can make it worse by taking the marrow out of my bones..I know what the heck..i thought the same, before I educated myself on it, and what different things can do and effect your body. if you want more info on my cocktail..AS ANYONE HERE IS READING THIS...I AM GOING TO BE MAKING A FORUM THAT WILL EXPLAIN ALLOT OF WHAT I HAVE BEEN EDUCATED ON. So please for your enjoyment and undo pain that seems to keep crawling up, give my forums a gander. Are we friends yet? if not lets be! I dont want to bore you or turn this into a sermon, or do I, ho humm. the minerals I take really take most of the pain away and I feel great, and even can do some things that I could not before..Thank God!! ooohh by the way the place were I get the minerals is christian ran.

Blessings and love, Minister Tommy

Tommy Heldenbrand DivinelyAnointedMinistries jesusrulesj316@gmail.com jesusrulesj316@yahoo.com
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/12/2008 2:14:26 AM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!