Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
With Regard To Mental Illness....
12/7/2007 11:38:54 AM
Hello Friends,

This is a very important subject to me. I want others to know that they are NOT alone.

When people see you have an illness like Cancer they fully understand that this is a "regular" occurence and that its not your fault. However, because mental illness is not something that is not clearly visible, it is often treated as taboo. People tend to blame you for your mental illness. They do not understand that it is beyond your control.

I have suffered from Bi-Polar disorder, Depression, and ADD since my teens. I did not realize that my angry outbursts were the result of the manic side of my BPD. In my twenties I began taking anti-depressants, and did not find the right combination until I ended up in a suicide unit when I was 36 years old. Forutunately, the doctor there was very good, and got me on the right combination or "cocktail". I was very lucky and blessed.

I would like to add that you CANNOT drink or do drugs when you are taking anti-depressants or it all goes to waste. Stop medicating to cover the pain and FACE it. It will be the most difficult thing you ever do, and probably the most painful, but it really is worth it in the end. Hang in there, you are worth it. I am sure your family thinks so too.

Take care of yourself.

Your Friend,
Colleen
Colleen
+0
Re: With Regard To Mental Illness....
12/7/2007 10:23:20 PM

Hello Colleen

Thank You for stopping by here and sharing your story with us. I know that it is not an easy thing to do.

Bi Polar Disorder is perhaps the most difficult of all mental health challenges because of the unpredictability of it. Moving back and forth between the highs and lows can make life very difficult.

You have made several very good points here in your post. If you are on medication, it is very important that you do not drink and drug. The brain chemestry involved in BPD is very delicate and once the right combination of meds and therapy is found, one must be very careful to keep that balance.

The good thing about BPD is that it is very treatable. In fact, the success rate for treating BPD is much better than for diabetes, heart desease and many other illnesses. This may surprise a few people. The number 1 most common reason for relapse in BPD cases is,,,,,,people begin to feel so good and so normal, they stop taking their meds. It is very important to follow the advice of a mental health professional. Never mix prescription meds with booze or illicit drugs and never stop taking them without your Dr's advice. Follow these few simple rules and chances are, you can live a long, happy life.

Well, Thanks Again Colleen. Please stop back again any time you like. You just never know whose life you may have changed with you words of hope. Take Care now and

Merry Christmas Colleen

Baby Kaleb, we send you our love,our prayers and our healing light. 
http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/729254/2/ShowThread.aspx                          

May a smile follow you to sleep each night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
           and be there waiting,,, when you awaken.

Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt

If You Don't Just Love This Jerkey
pass it on over here please.

It's fun. It's free. It pays you to enjoy yourself.

Visit the Billallys Pub network at:
 http://pub-network.ryze.com
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
Roza Markham

2 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
2/10/2008 12:29:15 AM

hi Colleen

I am 50 years old and have suffered with severe depression since I was 17 so I understand how frustrating this illness can be.  With an unseen disability like mental illness I found people tended to fear me rather than help me this went for mental hospitals I was unfortunate to be a patient in in the 70's. Being a black woman my outbursts were viewed as rage that could only be controlled by me being heavily sedated.

I have 5 beautiful children who constantly being put in foster care because I found it difficult to trust the medical profession after such a harrowing ordeal as to escape rape while in one of these institutions.

God's love and mercy helped me with my struggle to seek help and above all respect so as to slowly beat the institutions and social services, which resulted in amazing help and all my kids back with me and not psychologically damaged.

God Bless you and yours

Roza

My contact - (162673)
+0
Gerri Decher

718 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
2/23/2008 7:52:33 PM
Hi Everyone,
Someone who has suffered the darkness and despair of PTSD is Brian, an ex-firefighter. His story is one of courage and inspiration and having personally been involved with Brian and witnessed his amazing journey of triumph out of that darkness, I urge you to take the time to listen to his story and pass the information on to other PTSD sufferers.
Sincere Regards, Gerri

http://www.freewebs.com/ausvitality/USNaturals%20grn.JPG

Conference Call

Monday, 25th February 2008

Guest Speaker: Mr Brian Harvey

Due to huge demand Brian Harvey has kindly offered to provide his time once again to run through his own story; this time in some greater detail.  Many of you were 'blown away' by what Brian had to say and as the word spread amongst yourselves we were bombarded with requests asking if Brian would be 'on air' again soon.  Well, we are pleased to announce that this coming Monday he will be joining us on our call once again.

Many of you that heard Brian speak on his last call commented how you were 'touched' by what can only be described as his sincere and honest manner about his own personal experiences. 

If you would like to ask Brian any questions, please email these to: questions@PurePlantMinerals.com

WHEN: Monday, 25th February 2008

Australia

TIME: 8:00pm Brisbane Time

NUMBER:  001 11 641 594 7500 

PIN NUMBER: 378775#

United Kingdom

TIME: 10:00am London Time

NUMBER:  001 641 594 7500

New Zealand 

TIME: 11:00pm Auckland Time

Singapore & Hong Kong

TIME: 6:00pm Singapore & Hong Kong Time

USA

641 594 7500

World Clock Time Zone Converter

"This is the book I so badly wanted to read when I was traumatised."
David Kinchin, Author

">http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Post+Traumatic+Stress+Syndrome&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&sa=X&oi=print&ct=result&cd=1&cad=bottom-3results#PPP1,M1"> ptsd, complex, book, cover, post traumatic stress disorder, invisible, injury, 2001, 2005, edition,
david, kinchin, kinchen, isbn, 0952912147, kitchen, treatment, turnbull, rose, institute, psychiatry,
ticehurst, cause, causes, violence, terrorism, war, abuse, bullying, harassment, stress, psychiatric,
stockholm, syndrome

+0
6/6/2008 6:34:10 AM

Hello Roza

I am so sorry that I didn't get to your post sooner. I have so many threads that I must have missed the notification of your post here.

I am very happy to hear that you have finally found some answers and that you have your family back together.

You are so right about having to find the right combination of medicine and a successful treatment program. I have seen so many cases where people continue to suffer because of the lack of understanding about mental illness and the unavailability of viable treatment options.

People are shocked when I tell them that there are more people behind bars with a mental illness than there are in treatment. So many lives are being destroyed because of such things as stigma, lack of insurance coverage  and no compassion. Our government needs to make some serious changes with regard to the mental health system.

Roza, you are a shining example of what can be accomplished with a little understanding and compassion. I thank you for sharing your story with us.

Sincerely, Billdaddy

May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!