Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Selective Startup
12/1/2007 10:45:44 PM
Welcome Friends & Visitors

Selective Startup

When you start your computer, does it take a long time to boot and sometimes you get strange messages. Something is obviously not right, but fortunately, Windows has something called "Selective Startup" that will help you figure out what's going wrong.

Go to Start/Run and type "msconfig" (without the quotes) in the box. Under the "General" tab, click "Selective Startup."

You'll see several check boxes. Uncheck everything and reboot. Then check just the first and reboot. Did startup run smoother without any problems? Then go back to msconfig, check the next box and reboot. Continue this process until you experience your problem.

The next step requires a time commitment!

Let's say your problem appeared when you checked "Startup Items." Then go to the Startup tab and click the "Disable All" button. Check off half of the boxes on the list and reboot. No issue occurred? Then check the next half and reboot. When the problem happens, narrow down that half until you isolate which item is causing the problem.

Once you find the offensive item, just uncheck it. Continue checking the rest of the boxes and rebooting to make sure you don't have more than one problem. You should get a clean boot and this can also solve some shut down hang ups!

Watch for the next tip!

To Your Success
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: #4 - Weekly Tip... Selective Startup
12/2/2007 12:20:02 AM
Thanks Nick!
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/9/2007 1:17:09 AM

Hi Florence,

I tried that with my old computer a couple times. So far, I haven't had the problem of slow boot time in my newer computer.

Thank you for providing the tips. I am sure I will come across some that I do not know, as I am not that well-versed in fixing computer problems.

DonnaZ

+0
2/9/2008 11:42:26 AM
Hi

Donna, thank you so much to your visit and post!

I'm happy the tips I'm providing are very helpful to you. You'll have the knowledge you need to care for your computer so you may have good performance always.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

Have a GREAT weekend
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!