Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Beverly Armstrong

385 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Time Management
8/8/2005 9:36:46 PM
Each morning I have a checklist of what I am to accomplish that day I consult it over coffee. 1.I fix my coffee and view my checklist to see what I must accomplish for that particular day. 2.I then check my messages, and answer the more urgent ones in the order that is possible taking into consideration the time zone that the caller is calling from. 3.Then I begin to check my various email boxes for messages. 4.I view my list once again noting any appointments, or articles, newsletters etc. I need to finish or begin. 5.If someone in my group needs something I handle it first if possible. 6.At this point I take a break and have a full breakfast, and read my mail. This pretty much ends my morning unless there are interruptions that keep me in the office longer. 1.The afternoon is a brief continuation of the morning answering call, emails and requests etc. 2.Attending Forums, searching for important topics for MY next Forum. 3.Checking with my family briefly along the way. 4.Preparing to spend quality time at Adland in the evening by checking and seeing who has a Forum going that I need to show respect and attend. 5.Searching the net for more resources for articles etc. Then I break for a snack and a rest on my front porch, or a stroll around the yard visiting my plants, and enjoying my breaktime. I watch the news shows, and make notes of any programs that have a possibility of assisting me in making a point or two in an article, an email or a Forum. My business day revolves around this concept, “ If you treat your home-based business like a REAL business it will continue to give you a REAL paycheck!” I am a very disciplined person! Evenings are spent online and on the phone with breaks to make note of the things I wish to accomplish tomorrow. Do I take time off? Sure I do, I schedule breaks for myself, time to spend with the family and play Grandma just like everyone else. Then I go back to my very real job in my very real office, and make money just like the doctor down the street or the gentleman who owns the corner drugstore. The difference between myself and them is I have the freedom to NOT schedule the next day or week. I can stop and ‘party’ if I want to. I just choose not to. I have more freedom of choice! http://networkingblogs.blogspot.com (Now with sound) http://www.beverly-armstrong.official.ws msbeverly@adlandpro.com
Beverly Armstrong NC., Health & Website Consultant, Trainer, Writer & Entreprenuer, Network Marketing & Tutorials http://networkingblogs.blogspot.com http://gender-differences-in-networking.blogspot.com
+0
8/8/2005 10:27:04 PM
Dear Ms Horton All time management begins with the essential understanding that there are only 24 hours in any day. The first question that needs to be answered is: What are the hours during the day that need better management? and secondly: What activities or tasks are included in the designated block of time? Effective time management is not as difficult or as involved as many "so-called" experts would lead people to believe. Let me illustrate. Since specifics are absent, we must utilize broad generalizations. For the sake of this discussion, let's eliminate sleep time. For most people, that's about 8 hours a day. Let's erase it from time management consideration. This leaves 16 hours a day. If you are employed, let's allocate 8 hours for that and 2 hours for commuting to and from work. For personal care needs, let's allocate another 2 hours a day. So Monday thru Friday during a normal week, there are only 4 to 6 hours a day left to manage, assuming no unexpected emergencies, distractions or interruptions. We can eliminate another 10 hours daily on Saturdays and another 10 hours daily on Sundays for sleep and personal care. Since most employees are off from work at least 2 days a week, we can lump this time block together. If you are self employed, 8 hours a day should be devoted to building your business. Perhaps we'll discuss self-employment at another time in another forum. Assuming a portion of the remaining 28 hours of weekend time is allocated for shopping, family, relations, recreation, hobbies, spiritual activities etc., this block of time is another automatic deduction. Let's allocate 12 hours on Saturday and Sunday for these various weekend activities. This leaves only 8 hours on Saturday and 8 hours on Sunday to manage. As you can see, there are huge blocks of time that are already managed. Consequently, what you are managing is not time, but the activities that consume or use your time. When it comes to the few remaining hours you have left to self manage on a daily basis, the time management system used by Morgan, Carnegie, Ford, King, and every other great man or woman that has ever lived will work for you. 1. Think of every activity or task you have to do during the course of any given day. 2. List them in the order of their importance. (Hence, the infamous "To Do List" or "Honey Do List") 3. Out of everything you need to do, pick 6 things you have to do that are more important than anything else. 4. Out of the remaining 6, pick one task or activity that is the most important and do it first. When that's completed, go to the next most important task on the list. The reason why this time management system is so effective is because no matter what you are doing during the course of the day, you are always doing the most important thing. If a person can not improve his/her personal effectiveness by this method, then an individual's effectiveness or productivity can not be improved by any other time management system. This simple time management system is the most effective one ever devised. If the problem is procrastination, or an inhibition to take action, you are either dealing with a lack of will power or with fears or doubts. You are no longer dealing with tasks or activities that consume time. Fear and doubt are thieves that will rob you of your dreams, ambitions or goals. A lack of will power is just as toxic to your life, but not as serious. A lack of will power can simply mean you are tired, fatigued or in some cases experiencing anxiety, frustrations or mild depression. Many times all you need are vitamins, minerals, a balanced diet and ample rest, recreation or relaxation. If the issue is personal doubts or fears it can be far more insidious. Every second lost to procrastination or fear or doubt will not return. Time and our physical lives are not recyclable commodities. That's why it is vitally important that you do a self analysis to discover the true nature of your procrastination so you can confront and overcome it. Are you simply fatigued or is it more serious? Overcoming procrastination, personal doubts or fears is the only way to manage your life and your time wisely. It is not possible to be effective, productive or reach your full potential if you are consumed with doubts or fears or do not have the will to act. In another discussion, perhaps we'll discuss the importance of Habit Force and how it can enrich you. George M Sistrunk Program Manager Independent Marketing Group
1-800-331-1274 Mailbox 39125 24 Hour Answering Service
+0
8/9/2005 12:21:05 AM
Hi, Paul Man I could use one too. my e-mail is grizley77@yahoo.com Let me thank you in advance for your reply. in success, Greg Hastings
For every Adversity there is A Seed of Greater Benefit
+0
Doris Shewchuk

127 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
8/9/2005 12:40:24 AM
Hi Kenneth, The most important thing for me in time management is to have my To-Do list. I keep crossing off what's done and adding to the bottom. Works for me. Wishing you success, Doris
Our spiritual essence is what carries us through in life and in death. Love is the answer that we all seek and love is the only cure for a planet gone mad. ~~Doris Shewchuk
+0
8/9/2005 1:58:07 AM
Hi Judy and all, All of you have given really great pointers and systems that work. I commened you all. I will quote "It is hard to know what things should take precedence. When am I "flogging a dead horse?"". When I read this, this is saying more than just "what takes precedence"? I see it saying "I am overwhelmed and don't know how to deal with it all". And to address the "flogging" I interpret this as saying "when do I let go(or stop) and move on". First and foremost, the list is absolutely needed. If the project is big and/or multiple steps write down the project name and leave plenty of space. Go to the next project. Repeat the above step until you have all your projects listed. (It might be good to start by putting each project on a separate sheet of paper this time.) Now look at the list for a moment and walk away. Don't think about it. Take 5 minutes for yourself. Now come back and look again at only the first project. Break it down into smaller pieces. Let's say you are needing to replace a bad faucet in the kitchen. (you are the DIY type) My first sheet. Title - Replace bad kitchen faucet. Steps: * undo sink from counter top. * turn off water * disconnect water lines * new drain pipe * disconnect drain pipe * buy supplies * install new faucet * install new drain pipe * put sink back in countertop As you noticed I have NOT numbered or ordered these steps. I just wrote them as my mind thought of them. Take a break. 5 minutes. Come back. Now let's put it in order. Steps: 6 undo sink from counter top. 3 turn off water 5 disconnect water lines 10 hook up new water lines 4 disconnect drain pipe 1 buy supplies 8 install new faucet 11 install new drain pipe 9 put sink back in countertop 2 Clear under the counter 7 Undo old faucet 12 turn on water and check for leaks. Have you noticed something?(other than I can change a faucet :-) ). My list got bigger as I was prioritizing it. That's ok. If that's what it takes to get the job done then so be it. Do the other lists the same way. Now, you don't need to write out each detail if you can remember some of the steps like walking; don't have to think about it. But give yourself enough note to remember. Once you do this on a "daily" basis and make it a "habit" get rid of the 5 minute breaks. When looking at the BIG picture, estimate the length of time for each project. An hour, day ,week, month, etc. If today is shopping day and I go for groceries AND the home improvement store is on the way stop and get the supplies. One thing of the project done. Check it off. Do this with all projects (job) and before you know it you are organized. Also, this organization will help with budgets. I need ex number of dollars for this and this and ... Hope this will help you, too. ============================================ Away With Clutter! A desk work surface includes only basic everyday needs: lighting, phone, adding machine. Use wall shelves for added storage and display; keep frequently used items in closer proximity than items used once a week or less. It's A Wrap! Establish a year-round, portable gift wrap center complete with tape, scissors, some multi-use papers, a good variety of ribbons, bows (instant pop-ups!), and colored tissues. Round out with a selection of baskets, boxes and simple gift bags. Gourmet Freedom! Donate or sell duplicate kitchen utensils or appliances which work poorly or not at all. Enjoy wonderful new spacious kitchen storage! Is There Any REAL Mail Out There? Open mail only when you have time and it has your attention. Sort near a trash can/recycle bin, and preferably at your desk. Immediately toss excess paper and junk mail. Write It Down! Keeping a written record of pertinent information about furnishings, repairs, room sizes creates a terrific reference for you, the IRS, and any potential buyers of your home. Get Practical! What would happen if you lost your wallet today? Keep life simple - carry only what's necessary - money, a credit card or two at most , license, etc. Lighten up! Watch For Dark Holes! Pending Files frequently fall into dark irretrievable places. Items of interest with no completion date belong with general "to do". Magazine Mania! Store in a not-too-huge basket; toss old when newer editions arrive. Remember When? Keep photo negatives separate by storing in canceled check boxes; maintain chronologically in a #10 envelope. Toss photo rejects immediately; store photos chronologically by event. ============================================= EMAIL 1. Use a stacking tray or file folder labeled "email" to store paper items associated with email you plan on sending. You can process them in a batch more efficiently when accessing your email software. 2. Schedule specific times during the day to check and process your email. Example: 8:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m., 4:30 p.m. This reduces the tendency to constantly check it throughout the day and makes you more efficient. 3. Sort incoming email by subject, author, or "!" (importance/urgency) so you can process related mail collectively. This prevents your brain from having to jump around from subject to subject. You can think through each subject more thoroughly and increase the effectiveness of your work. 4. File email you want to keep in the appropriate email subject folder when you send or receive it. Do not store everything in your "Inbox" or "Sent Mail" (or "Autofiled") folders: it is not efficiently retrievable. VOICEMAIL 1. Put routine requests, like your email address, on your outgoing message. 2. Do not ramble on someone else's voice mail, but leave enough information so they can be prepared when you are available, and give them options for sending you information (voice mail, email, fax, mail). 3. Always end your message with your telephone number. Do not assume someone has your number memorized or right at their fingertips. Make it easy and efficient for them to call you back immediately. PAPER MAIL/FAXES 1. Sort your incoming mail so that you can process the same items together. Example: bills, time cards, purchase orders. It is more efficient than processing a randomly ordered stack of mail. 2. Have separate outboxes such as "To Be Filed," "Fax," "Copy" and "Outgoing Mail," if this makes it more efficient for you or an assistant to process outgoing information. WORK-RELATED READING 1. Some people are "needful learners." This means they do not retain or even understand information until they have a need to do so. If you suspect you are a needful learner, file the reading material you want to save under an appropriate subject title, and read it when you have the need to learn it. ============================================ Kenneth ?? - May I take a breathe now? - ??
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!