Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Peanuts ! ! ! University of Florida research ! Go Gators !
11/27/2007 12:00:04 PM
Day 15 - Peanuts

Peanuts, contrary to their name, are not really nuts.  They are a member of the legume family along with peas, lentils, chickpeas and other beans. Peanuts start growing as a ground flower - but because the peanut flower is very heavy - it bends towards the ground and eventually pushes it's way underground where the peanut matures.

A University of Florida team says peanuts are rich in antioxidants which protect cells from damage linked to heart disease and cancer. Peanuts also contain high levels of protein and "good" monounsaturated fat.

The US researchers tested the antioxidant content of a dozen different varieties of peanuts.  Antioxidants are the naturally occurring substances in plants that protect the body from free radicals - 'volatile' chemicals in the blood.

Although free radicals do play an important role in the immune system, they also alter cholesterol in a process known as oxidation, which is thought to speed up the hardening of the arteries.

Red and orange fruits and vegetables are already known to be particularly high in antioxidants. But the researchers found peanuts were also high in the beneficial chemicals. They found peanuts contain high levels of polyphenols, a family of chemicals commonly found in foods, which have strong antioxidant properties.

Steve Talcott of the University of Florida, who led the research, said: "When it comes to antioxidant content, peanuts are right up there with strawberries. We expected a fairly high antioxidant content in peanuts, but we were a bit shocked to find that they're as rich in antioxidants as many kinds of fruit."

If you're a peanut fan we encourage you to consider Buckey Ball Matrix. This delicious energy food is handcrafted from peanuts, honey, white and black sesame seeds, dried whole raspberries, organic raspberry tarts, and olive oil. It's a taste that's sure to please and always a hit with the kids.

Visit The Wholefood Farmacy
+0
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Peanuts ! ! ! University of Florida research ! Go Gators !
11/27/2007 3:31:24 PM
This is great (welcome back Linda)
Would you happen to have some info on pecans?
I'm picking my first crop for sale and want to create a whole line of accessories for when the trees go bare:)
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/27/2007 5:01:50 PM
Pecans are Awesome !   I am sure there is information on them, we must find !

and Recipes !

Linda
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/27/2007 6:28:02 PM
Hi Linda, I love peanuts and crunchy peanut butter. I didn't know that peanuts start out as a flower and push their way underground when they mature. Thanks for sharing the information! :) DonnaZ
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/27/2007 6:40:03 PM
Donna,

I love Cruncheeee peanut butter also !
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!