Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Daniel Meritt

541 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
HTML LESSON 2
11/14/2007 7:42:39 PM

Lesson 2

In this lesson we can practice with some HTML Tags.

To Do this you can do It 1 of 2 ways or both.

The first way is use a Note Pad on your own computer.
Or
Use the web page you have here at Adland Pro.

To use a Note Pad here are the steps.
1- Bring up a new note pad on your desktop   Start/Programs/Accessories/NotePad
2- Type My Page on the top of the note Pad.
3- Then save the page  Save As   mypage.html Save this to your desktop.

This way when ever you want to work on your web page you sinply right clcik on it and open in a Note Pad.

The you can edit your page and when you are done just save it again.

When you want to see your page just clcik on the icon or right clcik and open in IE/Firefox  on your Desk Top MyPage.html and It will open in a browser.So you can see what the page would look like if it was a page on the Internet.

The 2nd way is to use your Web Page here at Adland pro but lets wait until next lesson for that and I will show you from the beginning how to make a page here at Adland Pro.

Lets not go too far too fast !

As we discussed in the first lesson, HTML is a way for you to suggest to other people's computers exactly how to display your webpage.

By using HTML, you're able to leave little invisible sets of instructions all over your webpage that explain what your page should look like.

How It All Works

A webpage, in it's raw form, is simply a text file ending with the suffix .html or .htm

If you display this file on your computer in it's raw form, you'll see nothing but text interspersed with HTML tags. We're talking no background, no pictures of your cat, no really cool animations, nuthin but text and code. B O R I N G !!!

This text file, in all it's rawness, is often referred to as the "source code" of a webpage.

So how does this boring and dry text file become a webpage with color and life and vitality?

You have a program on your computer that takes these text files, reads them in the raw, and displays them on your computer's monitor in whatever way the file's HTML suggests. This program is called a browser.

It's All In The Angles
If you look at the source code for any webpage, you'll notice different HTML commands interspersed all through the document. These commands are called TAGS and tell the browser how to display the text, layout, and images of the document.

HTML tags are easy to recognize because they are always between a lesser than sign and greater than sign, or as I like to call them, Angle Brackets.

To Make this work here I had to add in this
! into each tag.< ! > I had to do this to kill the Tag or the Code would execute.

You have to Remove This  !  from each tag after you copy it to your note pad or your code will not work.

<Like This>

The first you should learn is the BOLD tag.
IT's simply the letter "B", sandwiched between two angle brackets and looks like

<
! B>

Tags almost always work in pairs. There are a few exceptions we'll discuss later, but most of the time there is an opening tag and a closing tag. The closing tag for Bold looks like

<
! /B>

Notice it's the same as the opening Bold tag except for the /mark. All closing tags are like that. They look the same as the opening tag except for the added slash right after the lesser than sign. Any text placed between the opening and closing Bold tags will look thicker than the rest of the text on the page.

This is NORMAL text.
<
! B>This is BOLD text< ! /B>

Two more real simple tags are EMPHASIS and BIG.

<
! EM>EMPHASIS< ! /EM>   = 
EMPHASIS
< ! BIG>BIG< ! /BIG>,           =   BIG

Are you catching all of this?

One thing I should probably mention at this point is that html tags don't give a hoot if you type them in lowercase or CAPITAL letters or even a mix of big and small letters. Everything inside the angle brackets get's read the same way.

Parts Is Parts
Every Webpage written in HTML has essentially two parts:

The Head     The Body

Now, having told you that, let me tell you about one more tag before going on.

<HTML> </HTML>

The HTML tag tells your computer that everything between these two tags is an HTML document. You'll always begin your page with the opening HTML tag and end it with the closing HTML tag.

<HEAD>    </HEAD>

The very first part of your document is the Head.This is where you'll put the title that comes up on somebody's navigation bar when they call up your page.

<BODY>    </BODY>

After the Head is the Body. This is the real meat of the page. It's where all your visible text will be, and all your images and links too. Don't forget to put a body in your Homepage!

The Skeleton
Here is the HTML for a VERY simple webpage. See if you can figure it out using what You've learned so far. <HTML>
<
! HEAD>
<
! TITLE> THE COOLEST PAGE ON THE WEB< ! /TITLE>
<
! /HEAD>
<
! BODY>
Whoa!!!This is like so <EM>TOTALLY<
! /EM> Cool. Like I'm writing a WEBPAGE!!!!!
<
! /BODY>
<
! /HTML>

See how these tags fit into each other? And How all the text is between the BODY tags?

Notice also how I began my document and ended it with a pair of HTML tags. Without those, Your computer won't know how to read what it's been handed.

If You want to see what this page would look like, cut and paste the above code into your Note Pad. Then save it.

That's enough for Lesson 2. Create a simple page for yourself like the one above, Then, come back for Lesson 3.

Ok now you can just play with this and see what you come up with...

Please feel free to post questions that you would like to have answered over the course of the next  lessons and I will try to answer them each as the lessons unfold.
I will answer everyone's questions one at a time as they are posted....  I will not move on to the next lesson until all the questions have been answered.)

Just to help out a bit if you want to Join this FREE site It will help you practice what we learn here.

Main Forum

Main Page

Lesson 1

Lesson 2

Lesson 3

Lesson 4

Lesson 5

Lesson 6

Daniel

+0
Daniel Meritt

541 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: HTML LESSON 2
11/14/2007 9:34:23 PM

Let me know if my Instructions are easy to follow or if you want me to explain anything here futher ?

Thanks

Daniel

+0
Deb
Deb Kwek

161 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
11/15/2007 8:03:19 AM
Thanks Daniel I needed to learn the note pad thing on putting Html together on there and see it on the web.

Deb
+0
Jason Lamure

3475 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/15/2007 8:36:49 AM
Hi Daniel!

Thanks for doing this service for all the HTML rookies out there!

If you market  on the internet you need basic html skills there is no
doubt about that.

Even more so if you own your own site....

Looks pretty easy to folllow, nice job Daniel!

Jason    
Losing Your Pants In MLM? If Your Upline Isn't Showing You How to Get 30 Leads / Day, I Can!
http://trckapp.com/t053jnzw
+0
Daniel Meritt

541 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/15/2007 9:31:25 AM
Hi Deb

I like to use Note pad I find It so much easier...You just type your html and save it to your desk top as an .html and when you want to want your results are just click on the Icon on your desk top and Its nice and fast and I find the easiest way.

Then when you get the page the way you like it then simply copy the code and paste it where ever you have your page.

Its like a practice area...It saves having to log into a server and go though all the steps.

I prefer to do it this way also as doing live changes can cause allot of problems :)

Have you ever worked live on your site and find out after you did it wrong and now you have to go in and find your mistake !

Daniel

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!