Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
The Difference Of Good Marketing and Bad Marketing ...
11/7/2007 1:20:33 AM
Hello all,

We see it all the time.
"Take a look at my site and tell me what you think."
"Join now. It's Free."
"It's in pre-launch and everyone will make Millions."
Ok, you get the hint.

Several problems with those Subjects above. Too vague. What are they representing? There isn't any 'HOOK' to draw interest into seeing what it's about.

Now, this is hitting on just the Subject lines for the moment. I classify these types of subject lines under Virgin SPAMmers ... people that are new and really have no idea what they are doing. They took and read the sales page of an affiliate plan at best and really don't know what they are promoting. Just get those ads up and everyone will join. Sorry. Doesn't work that way.

Now let's go a little deeper, past the subject line. We know what the product service is now. I'm selling Mangoes. "Ripe Mangoes shipped to your door. Buy them today." Now I am here in AdlandPro in the forums and I will place ads EVERYWHERE telling all to buy my Mangoes. What have I done? I have placed words that do nothing to attract buyers, I don't even know if the readers like Mangoes, I spent a lot of my time ineffectively placing these ads and MAYBE pissed off a few people for SPAMming.

So how am I going to sell Mangoes? I could choose not to sell them now that I know what I signed up for. I could see how many people would be willing to buy Mangoes by doing a survey. I could run a keyword search for people that like mangoes. I could Google for Mango forums and see what is out there.

From what I said above you can see now I am starting the thinking process of searching for customers before I start anymore advertising. Now that I googled for mango forums I see there is mostly interest in Mango tree growth and care rather than recipes and uses that would be good buyers. So, maybe, my product isn't so hot to sell.

Ok, back to finding something to sell. What? Someone just said to sell everything. Get an online mall. Damn, Why didn't I think of that before? Ok, you get one and start placing ads about your mall. "Everybody will buy from me because I offer it all." Really? Why would they buy from you? Are you an established credible person they know? You just got the mall so you surely can't know everything about it. And don't try to lie either.

Well, what am I gonna do now? The best thing to do is find a mentor that will teach you everything right including helping you find what will be your niche.

An example here. My background is music. I am a teacher and professional drummer. So there is my expertise. Ok, let me see if there is a market for this. Well, what do you know. There are a lot of drummer forums and a lot of drummers in them. Can this be lucrative? Sure can.

So what should I sell them? Whatever they want and need. This means I need to interact with them and find out. I do not want to say I'm selling anything but when I see a common need among many then I need to find a way to fill it.

With this senario I started with nothing, found a niche, listened and asked questions and found what is needed. Did I waste time with ads and getting a program I may not have enjoyed? NO. I will now CREATE the product that will fill their need. Once ready, I interact again and let them know I have a solution to their need. Will they buy? Most will.

You say it sounds so easy but ... ok, what about repeat sales? What about ... ? What ... ?

I know you have more questions. Private message me here in ALP if you want to continue from here.

Kenneth
+0
Re: The Difference Of Good Marketing and Bad Marketing ...
11/7/2007 3:36:54 AM
I just had someone do exacly what I said above ... place an ad in this forum. This forum is set up for instruction, not advertising.

So that was bad marketing. Let's see if people are really reading what was written.

Send your comments on the subject posted. Do not add a sig file in with your post. That will be generated and added from your profile setup when you post.

Kenneth

+0
11/7/2007 7:44:40 AM
Kenneth, ads are SUCH a turnoff to me.  It's funny.... I've replaced my Nursing income MANY times over from home now, and I will get an email to "check out this "ABC" company"...  along with the "I'm making SOOOO much money here" line...

Then I  message them a few times and the REAL truth comes out...  They tell you about their 4 kids and 2 are sick,  the fact that they can't afford MD visits, that they don't even have a car to get there AND they haven't had a vacation in YEARS...  Yet just a FEW emails prior they sent all the HYPE of how much money they are making...

How SAD....

Linda/CMAS, BS, RN
www.TimAndLinda.INFO
1-800-256-0004 Home Office
+0
11/7/2007 7:50:53 AM
Hi Kenneth,

Great post! I agree that having a mentor makes a huge difference.

Although having a real live person helping you is the best option, one "mentor on the cheap" approach I like is one I'm sure you're familiar with, e.g., developing a "swipe file" of effective ads.

A swipe file is simply a collection of ads you have "swiped" from adverts you have seen on the Internet or elsewhere. If you see a great PPC ad, a sig file that catches your attention on AdlandPro, or a Craig's List advert that makes you click--copy and paste it into your swipe file. Then when you are creating your own ads, you'll have your "mentor on the cheap" to consult.

A great source of headlines is, as you probably know, the blurbs on the cover of magazines, particularly so-called "ladies magazines" (which a lot of guys have discovered have great info in them--read a few articles on how to spice up your love life written from the woman's perspective for some keen insights ;).

The copywriting pros who write those cover blurbs know how to write a killer headline.

Another resource I like is a piece of software called Headline Creator Pro. The guy who created it is no longer in business but you can find copies for under $20 and probably less these days. Just Google the title and you'll find a lot of resellers. This software will generate 50 possible headlines after asking you four specific questions. It not only helps you create great headlines, it teaches you about the key ingredients necessary to "get the click."

All the Best,

Mark
I Earn $60,000 per year with CarbonCopyPRO. I even publish my sales statistics (revenue, expenses, net profit, ROI) on my Carbon Co
+0
11/8/2007 8:16:23 AM
Hi

Thanks to the invite to this interesting post, Kenneth!
I enjoyed reading your article... well said.

To your success
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!