Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
We all love to celebrate
11/3/2007 8:55:32 PM

We all love to celebrate and here in the UK it's no different. Any excuse.

Remember, Remember, the fifth of November,

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

On the 5th November 1605 a plot to blow up the English Parliament was foiled.

A number of Roman Catholics intended to kill King James 1st, his family and most of the Protestant aristocracy all in one explosive event.

For the reasons  go first to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder_Plot

Catholics in England at that time had much to complain about.

One of the main plotters Guy Fawkes (more modern version of his name) was caught along with others, underneath the House of Lords with gunpowder and the intent to use it.

Since that time, the discovery, which saved the king from certain death, has been celebrated throughout, what was formerly the British Empire in different ways and disguises.

Here in the UK Guy Fawkes, represented by a stuffed effigy, is still carried (in villages and towns everywhere) to the site of a huge bonfire and placed upon the fire. Many families have their own celebrations with fire, guy and the most important feature fireworks.

Fireworks are used more frequently today for many events but November 5th is still the biggest firework day here. Potatoes are baked and sausages cooked and all manner of food and drink is dispensed.

November at best here is damp and foggy (made worse by the fires) and at worst can be very cold, being the start of Winter proper.

The interesting thing is that the tradition spread and can be found in Canada, Southern United States, New Zealand, The Carribean and South Africa to name a few.

In the South of USA it's usually called Popes day. In other parts of the world it is called Firework Day or Plot Day, Cracker Night etc

The original reasons have largely been put aside in favour of a good time but in places there remain STRONG traditions such as Lewes in Sussex in England where torchlight processions take place through the town with competing Bonfire Associations much in evidence. Although the fifth is THE night fireworks tend to be heard for several days ariund that date as folk sort their own arrangements and many large events plump for the nearest Saturday night.

Do you have a related event? What's it called and what similarity is there to rhe original celebrations?

More info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

Take a readand let us all know what goes on in your neighbourhood over 400 years after the event. Here's a little taster, but beware these folks have a small but pretty out of control experience (check out how its done properly in Lewes in the link following this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1QH6UMgs8I

Take a look at Lewes celebrations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7eLQS4EmnY   

quite scary fun with political 'guys' as well as the original. Some very big fires too.

At Lewes, Lots of christian denominational images still feature but on the whole harmless fun.

Enjoy the fireworks folks.

Roger

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: We all love to celebrate
11/4/2007 7:45:35 AM
Thanks, Roger! 

I had no idea that November 5th was a holiday anywhere!  In USA it's just another autumn day.  Maybe in the southern states they know what it is, but up north here I don't think very many people are aware of it.  The UK has had a lot of religious turmoil in it's history.
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/4/2007 8:13:08 AM

Hi Kathleen,

Strange thing really as although it's a National celebration we don't get a public holiday.

Most festivity is in the evening as soon as it gets dark which is around 5 o'clock p.m. average across the country.

Roger

+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/4/2007 4:21:07 PM
Hello Roger,

Thank you for the article. I know this story and I had aslo an article in my former forum from last year on this National Engish celebration.

Thank you for sharing. I will go over to Sarah's forum to post my smiles and greetings there.

Happy Sunday
Georgios

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/4/2007 4:52:51 PM

Thank you for dropping in Georgios,

It's strange that Sarah and I decided to do this at the same time.

Have a great day.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!