Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: To Know and Do...
9/20/2007 10:49:15 AM

Hi Jim,

Please believe that I have not been ignoring you!!  I so appreciate the time you must spend on these lessons.  They are all so thorough and thought provoking. 

I have known the 10 Commandments my entire life.  The Bible passages that you have chosen here illustrate without a doubt the those commandments are to be our LAW. 

I never really doubted that, and blind faith (faith without the benefit of the concreting passages) has been prevalent.  Having grown up in the Roman Catholic faith, the Bible itself was not a large part of out learning.  I know that now, time have changed some and there many more Roman Catholic Churches teaching it.

I know in the south, where there are many former Baptists who have converted to the Catholic faith, that the Bible and their firm belief that it is their indisputable map to life, has gone with them.  My sister is heavily involved in the Roman Catholic church where she and her husband attend in South Carolina, and it was my first exposure to a Roman Catholic church that was a bible based and bible teaching one.

And for me, I landed in the Church that I have attended for the last 20 years, because it did have a bible base and a pastor who was well known in the area for his great teaching of the bible.  I travel 35 miles each way to church now, and probably will as long as I am physically able to get those instructions. 

I fall down on the home study - and I am the first to admit that.  I take the good Lord with me wherever I go and whatever I am doing, but I have never been able to form the habit of sitting down and studying the Bible - or just plain reading it for that matter.    I am often very grateful that perfection is not expected or possible - we are human and non-perfect is normal.  Thank you, Lord!!

So, back to the Ten Commandments.  Your lesson and the quote from The Desires of Ages,  "God desires us to be happy, and He gave us the precepts of the law that in obeying them we might have joy.", was really the first time I had connected joy with the obedience to the Commandments.  Imagine that - it took me 60 years to understand that in obeying His laws I would receive joy. 

My friend, with this long post, you are probably sorry you  invited me back, but I am so joyful that I came.  There has been peace and joy in me that, interwoven with the hustle and bustle and stress of "earthly life", has kept me at an even keel for a long time.  There is more joy in knowing that I earned that with my obedience to him. 

Thank you for putting this study together.  It has been very helpful to me.

Blessings, my friend, and have a wonderful day!

Judy

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/20/2007 3:35:22 PM

James,

You deserve support for this forum and I'm only sorry that my computer problems are forcing a short reply.

I will do my best to read your references.

You have worked so hard.

We could all do with a reminder of these rules every now and then. In these, so called, modern times we are in greater need of these commandments than at any other time in the past.

God Bless you,

Roger

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/20/2007 7:11:25 PM

Well, Jim, I wanted others to study with us and see how hard you had worked on your forum and I "spread the link"  and here we have a few visitors!!

Blessings,

Judy

+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/20/2007 7:58:42 PM

Hi Pauline, thank you for stopping by. Please visit my other threads in this bible study, and feel free to make comments there also!!

+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/20/2007 8:21:07 PM

Hi Valerie, how right you are!!

John 15:17  (KJV) These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Romans 12:10  (KJV) Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!