Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: INTERNET FREEDOM OF SPEECH
9/12/2007 1:49:15 PM
Lateef, You have the freedom to ask! Whether it is good manners or the correct business move is up to you. Many things we do are our choice but we must be responsible to suffer the consequences. You have the freedom to remove someone from your friends list, ban or block. One might say there is a freedom of speech violation. No, you just don't want to talk to the person. They can talk all they want but to someone else. That they well do. Put up a forum or send e-mails but they have the right to speech. No one can force a person to listen to them. Delete buttons, ban, and block buttons are tools. P.S. don't ask me for money-----I'm retired. LOL LOL
+0
Arthur Webster

600 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/12/2007 1:59:59 PM

Hi, Mary,

Although Gina Ford - v - Mumsnet  was settled out of court and no judicial ruling was made, the settlement will now carry almost the same weight as a legal ruling (in the UK) by setting a precedent.

While any finding against a forum owner using this precedent could be challenged, it is highly unlikely to be successful, so, to all intents and purposes, it is the law (in the UK) which is why I posted my article.

The Old Coot

+0
Lucy Walker

241 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/12/2007 4:33:17 PM

Hi Mary,

The Old Coot makes a very good point about forums created for the sole purpose of selling. For the longest time I thought that was indeed the purpose of forums. Some of the titles are so misleading that I  have actually questioned the author as to what relevance the title had to do with the content of the forum. They never answer me.

I too am retired and being asked for money in over 20 forums and emails a day just lets me know that people are just selling. They have not given thought to whom the forums or emails are sent.

It just lets me know that they are not reading profiles and quite frankly are not interested in people. (afterall, the friends list is actually a list of real, live, breathing individuals.)

People are generally impressed by sincerity.

Lucy

+0
9/14/2007 1:42:05 PM

Mary  Hello

I  like  the   freedom   to   talk  to  people, an  let  them  walk  away  whenever  they  please.   And   I   take  that  freedom  for  myself.  Wheater  in   person  or  on  forums.

Your  Friend

Elbert  L  ( gouardhead )

>< Liquidation of General Merchandise www.payjusthalf.com - use Discount code LC57687
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/19/2007 10:52:32 AM
Lucy, People have the right to look ignorant. It is interesting to watch people contradict themselves. They say one thing in one forum and run somewhere else and contradict themselves. Freedom of speech has responsibility. Those who exercise their right to free speech to an issue can be challenged to the point of silencing them. The point is, if you believe in an issue are you willing to stand up for it when the heat is put on to silence the speaker. Some great free thinkers stood up to their beliefs to the point of being threatened and exterminated. On the internet threats can be delivered, but it is a little easier to hide. Change the name and profile, move to another site.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!