Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Really Want To Help The Environment? It's not in a pill ... Look at CNG For One Answer
9/4/2007 7:07:47 AM
I am going to give you an example with case study on saving the environment, money and doing it as a community.

In El Paso, TX, they have the world's largest CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) city bus fleet and work closely with the DOE and a few other gov't agencies on energy and pollution.

Their article: http://www.cleanairnet.org/infopool/1411/articles-35708_sun_metro.pdf

If you really want to help the environment look into alternative fuels and not something that is Oil industry dependent.

The technology is here. You as a consumer need to finally say NO to the oil industry and say YES to alternatives.

To learn more about DOE’s role in alternative-fuel vehicle research, visit
the Alternative Fuels Data Center on the World Wide Web at http://www.afdc.doe.gov.

Kenneth R Sword Jr

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Really Want To Help The Environment? It's not in a pill ... Look at CNG For One Answer
9/4/2007 8:34:18 AM

Thanks, Ken, for more valuable information.

Judy

+0
John Hanevy

42 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Really Want To Help The Environment? It's not in a pill ... Look at CNG For One Answer
9/4/2007 6:07:19 PM
Hi Ken, It's a nice idea, but there's problems. One problem is the amount of processing needed to make a usable fuel. I have heard many opinions that the cost far exceeds what we currently spend on oil. Recyling is a prime example of this. By the time you factor in the costs of transporting the waste to a processing facility, the labor involved, the costs of building and running the plants, and the additional trucks and personnel required (most communities pick up recyclables on separate days) you have lost any savings. Another problem is unforeseen side effects. For example, the higher price of corn has been blamed, in part, on lost produce that is used to make ethanol. Environmental problems can also occur. More planting means more fertilizer run-off into our streams and other waterways. An article I read recently (in Newsmax, I believe)blamed this runoff for a high growth of oxygen-choking algae in the water--leading to a lot of dead fish! A major problem is availability. Alternative fuels are not very popular--we still love our oil and gas. Until they get popular, no one will want to develop them--no profit! I'm all for alternative fuels, but people need to consider all of the issues involved. John
Pay for Results, NOT Clicks! And get great discounts from businesses in your area, and nationwide! http://tinyurl.com/m7zhz
+0
10/17/2007 10:30:31 PM

This is off topic a bit but I would like people to consider this.  what as an individual are you yourself doing to help the environment?  Five years ago I took drastic action to become nicer to the environment.  i do use any chemical cleaners in my home.  I use only top quality micro firbre cloths that YES DO get rid of bacterial.  The cleaners that I do use are only those that are friendly to me and the environment.  I do not use my clothes dryer unless it is winter.  I carpool, walk and bike.  I even went so far as to do without a vehicle for four months.  I should state that I live in a small rural community so i have no public transit or even a taxi. 

Being good to the environment was hard at first, sort of like quitting smoking or going on the dreaded diet.  But i am saving money, feel and am far healthier and the best part is that my teenage daughter (soon to be 19) is out on her own and following in my footsteps.  she recycles, and tires to be as kind as possible to the environment.  She actually goes as far as to walk to and from work and in November will be carpooling to the ski resort.  She has found it a bit difficult at times but is happy with her choices.

I am not trying to stand on a soap box just provide another point of view to toss around.  If anyone would like to know more about going chemical free, the best way to do it and still have a spotless but healthy house contact me at. clarkbl56@westman.wave.ca.  i also have an environmental news blog at http://environmentalaction365.com.

Thank you for giving me the space to talk and let's all be a little kinder to Mother Nature for ourselfs and future generations.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!