Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Joyce Sanders

259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: DANGER - Security Warning
8/17/2007 8:56:20 AM
Hi Robert,

STREEEEEEEEEEETCH!!!  I'm just getting "A Round- TUIT" !  LOL

Anywho, Yup,   I have been getting those email to all of my account. The only email account I have not got one to is my server account. Don't use that email account much.

Those emails are sending out sypware and viruses is my understanding.  I have gotten them from  just about all of the major greeting card companies.  This has been going on and while.  Someone has way too much time on their hands I think!!  They need to get a REAL job!! Hope they get caught and get put UNDER then jail house!!

Thanks for the fair warning.
roadcat
+0
James Rundell jr

87 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Safe than Sorry, It's Sooooo True....
8/17/2007 8:58:38 AM

Robert,  Thank you from I'm sure, all the community and our electronic friends for the "HEADS UP" !     We sometimes forget there are some unscrupulous parasitic neandethals out there,  preying on unsuspecting trustworthy  networkers and friends who communicate extensilvely electronically.  I have recently on the radio show KIM COMMANDO (national computer expert with a show) heard a similar gig being played out with the "INVITATION" come on, or "YOU'RE INVITED" header. It turned out to be a hoax,  but hey, as you point out there are some sadistic nutballs outthere so lets stick together. I myself solicit prospects  for my business opportunity and its unsettling to have some of these lepors tainting other legitimate offers and request to view a bonefide opportunity.  Thank you once again.   Jim

Nothing Changes... if Nothing Changes! WWW.INFINITESTREAMSTOWEALTH.COM
+0
Jason Lamure

3475 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
If you get infected do the following to remove virus
8/17/2007 9:20:36 AM

How do I Scan for Viruses in DOS?

Operating Systems:
  • Windows XP Home/Pro
  • Windows 2000 Pro

Download and Extract the SDAT Files

1. Click on the following link or type the URL into an Internet browser address bar: http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/superdat.asp?region=us&segment=enterprise
  2. Click the I Agree button (if needed) to verify you have a current support agreement with McAfee.
  3. English users, please click the link named sdatxxxx.exe (where 'xxxx' replaces the current SDAT version number) and save the file to your C:\ Drive.
  4. All others please select the appropriate localized language from the drop-down list, click the link named sdatxxxx.exe (where 'xxxx' replaces the current SDAT version number) and save it to your C:\ Drive.
  5. From the Taskbar, select Start and then Run.
  6. In the Open field, type command and click OK. A DOS command window will open.
  7. Type CD\ and press Enter. You should now be at a C:\ prompt.
  8. Type SDATXXXX.EXE /E C:\SDAT and press Enter. (Note: The 'x's should be replaced with the appropriate numbers of the file that was downloaded above.)
    This will create an SDAT folder on the C:\ drive and extract the SDAT files to this folder.
    Note: Windows XP Users with Service Pack 2 installed will be presented with a security warning when attempting to extract the file. Please click Run to continue the extraction process.
    SDAT_securitywarning
  9. Once the C:\ prompt is displayed again, please type exit and press Enter.

Disable Windows System Restore

Windows XP utilize a restore utility that backs up and protects selected files automatically to the C:\_Restore folder. This means that an infected file could be stored there as a backup and VirusScan would be unable to delete these files. The System Restore utility must be disabled to remove any infected files from the C:\_Restore folder.

You can now watch a Flash video of the following steps!

Click the button below to start the video.
flash_video

Note: This option is recommended for Broadband Users Only.
To view this demonstration, you will need Macromedia Flash. Download this for free by visiting Macromedia.

Windows XP
  1. Right-click the My Computer icon on the Desktop and click Properties.
  2. Click on the System Restore tab.
  3. Put a check mark in the box next to Turn off System Restore.
  4. Click the OK button.
  5. You may be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes to restart.

Note: To re-enable the System Restore utility, repeat the steps above and in step 3 remove the check mark from the box next to Turn off System Restore.

Boot the Computer to DOS

Windows 2000/XP
  1. If the computer is on: From the Taskbar, click Start, then Shutdown and choose Restart.
  2. If the computer is off, turn the computer on.
  3. When the opening splash screen appears, begin tapping the F8 key every second.
    Note: On some computers, if you press F8 too soon you will get a keyboard error. If this happens, press the F1 key to continue.
  4. The Windows 2000 (or XP) Advanced Options Menu will appear. Use the arrow keys to choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
  5. Login to your computer (if necessary).
  6. When the computer is finished booting, the c:\> prompt will appear on the screen.
    Note: If there is anything typed after c:\>, type cd\ and press Enter.
  7. Continue with the scan instructions below.

Scan the Computer

Windows 2000/XP
  1. At the c:\> prompt, type in cd sdat and press Enter.
  2. Then type scan/adl/clean/all/program/report report.txt and press Enter.

This will perform a virus scan on your computer, which will clean and delete any viruses you may have on your computer.

Multiple Infections

After the scan has run, a summary report of the scan will be created in the sdat folder on the C:\ drive. If this summary reports that your computer had multiple infections, it is recommended that you run the scan again to make sure the computer has been completely cleaned. To determine if this is needed please complete the following steps:

Review the Scan Report
  1. Restart the computer into Normal Mode.
  2. Double-click the My Computer icon.
  3. Double-click the C:\ drive
  4. Double click the sdat folder.
  5. Locate the file named report.txt and double-click to open.
  6. The report contains several lines that look similar to this:

Scan_Summary

If the top line named Possibly Infected has a number greater that 5, it is recommended that you run the scan in DOS again.

7. If you need to run the scan again, repeat the instructions for Boot the Computer to DOS and Scan the Computer above.

Last Modified: 04/23/07
Modified by: jsh-wcmou

Losing Your Pants In MLM? If Your Upline Isn't Showing You How to Get 30 Leads / Day, I Can!
http://trckapp.com/t053jnzw
+0
Re: DANGER - Security Warning
8/17/2007 9:53:06 AM

Thanks for the info. Those bastards are more evil than the devils.

Poh Tiong Ho

+0
Re: Friends Helping Friends
8/17/2007 9:53:46 AM

Thanks to all that posted about this virus that is being sent by these E-mail.
I am sorry, I am not a "TECHIE",  if i caught a virus I would have to buy
a new computer.  My knowledge is so limited that I have a hard time
typing there responses.

I have several E-mail boxes, and I try to never open anything that requires
me to down load anything.  Any message from a "friend - associate - family
member" that does not permit me to E-mail them back without opening the
correspondence is reason to not open it. 

I once received a notice from PayPal, and because there was not a contact
person in the E-mail, I did not open it.  Apparently I make a good decision
PayPal never contacted me again. 

Lately I have received E-mail about winning a Lottery through my E-mail
address.  They want my personal information so that they can pay me.
I sent them my link to my business, If they want to send out E-mails
they can send a link that will make them money when they help someone.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!