Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
THE HIGH RENAISSANCE - RAPHAEL
8/3/2007 5:04:13 PM

Dear Adland Friends,

After yet another very long recess - for which I doubly apologize - I would like to present in this opportunity the third-in-importance Renaissance painter, Raffaello Sanzio di Urbino, commonly known as Raphael (the first two being the great Leonardo da Vinci, who was the last artist featured in this forum, and Michelangelo, not featured yet). I am departing this time from what so far has been our custom, i.e. to show great but relatively unknown pieces only, and so the painting I am pleased to present to you today is not only one of Raphael's most precious masterworks, but perhaps his best known and most emblematic one as well: The Madonna della Seggiola ("Madonna of the Chair"), here shown preciously framed such as may be appreciated at the Galleria Palatina of the Palazzo Pitti, in Florence, Italy. (You may click on the image to enlarge it.)

NOTE: To view a larger, non-framed image, click HERE.

An Italian Renaissance painter, frescoeist, sculptor, architect, poet and archaeologist, Raphael was, like Leonardo and Michelangelo, most prolific. He studied under Pietro Perugino and was, in turn, the teacher of the great Mannerist painter Giulio Romano and of other lesser-known Mannerists. He was active in Urbino, Perugia, Umbria, Florence and, specially, Rome.

Other favorite paintings and frescoes by Raphael include (by date of execution): Spozalizio (The Engagement of Virgin Mary), The Granduca Madonna, Portrait of Agnolo Dogni, The School of Athens, Madonna Velvedere (Madonna del Prato),Portrait of Bindo Altoviti, The Sistine Madonna, Portrait of Baldassare Castiglione, Woman with a Veil (La Donna Velata),Holy Family below the Oak, The Transfiguration,Baptisme of Constantine.

As always, good feedback is highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING

(click on the image to enlarge it)

Madonna della Seggiola (1)
by Raphael Sanzio

born 6 April 1483, Urbino (Pesaro e Urbino, Marches, Italy)
died 1520, Rome (Lazio, Italy)

Profile (2)

italian in full Raffaello Sanzio master painter and architect of the Italian High Renaissance. Raphael is best known for his Madonnas (see photograph) and for his large figure compositions in the Vatican in Rome. His work is admired for its clarity of form and ease of composition and for its visual achievement of the Neoplatonic ideal of human grandeur.

Italian painter, draughtsman and architect, he has always been acknowledged as one of the greatest European artists. With Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo and Titian, he was one of the most famous painters working in Italy in the period from 1500 to 1520, often identified as the High Renaissance, and in this period he was perhaps the most important figure. His early altarpieces (of 1500–07) were made for Città di Castello and Perugia; in Florence between 1504 and 1508 he created some of his finest portraits and a series of devotional paintings of the Holy Family. In 1508 he moved to Rome, where he decorated in fresco the Stanze of the papal apartments in the Vatican Palace—perhaps his most celebrated works—as well as executing smaller paintings in oil (including portraits) and a series of major altarpieces, some of which were sent from Rome to other centres. In Rome, Raphael came to run a large workshop. He also diversified, working as an architect and designer of prints.

Technical data (3)

Madonna della Seggiola (framed)
Oil on wood, c.1514
7/8 x 27 7/8 inches (71 x 71 cm)
Galleria Palatina (Palazzo Pitti), Florence

(1) This image is a courtesy of the Art Renewal Center.

(2) Sources: Encyclopaedia Britannica Online, Grove Dictionary of Art Online(excerpt).

(3) Source: Art Renewal Center.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Nan
Nan Herring

3059 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE HIGH RENAISSANCE - RAPHAEL
8/3/2007 5:57:11 PM
Welcome back. I will return to read more carefully.
Nan
+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/3/2007 7:17:41 PM
Hello Luis Miguel,

Today has beeen a special day and I knew something very good was going to happen.  So i walked through the door 5 minutes ago, sat down at the computer and found that you had set up a forum on Rafael!!!!!!!ç

As usual I have absolutely nothing articulate to say whatsoever - it is just so wonderful to sit and look at his painting.  And -  apart from painting the most famous angel painting  in the world - and apart from being one of the greatest painteer in history Rafael is the most incredible painters of hair I have ever seen in my life.  You can touch it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Saludos
Jenny

+0
Barb Doyle

1469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
8/3/2007 8:20:06 PM

Hi Luis,

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful work of art with us. It is simply breathtaking.

Peace, Health and Prosperity,
Barb Doyle, Sc.

Create the lifestyle you've been dreaming of!
http://empower.thisworks.biz

+0
8/3/2007 9:34:26 PM

Luis

Welcome back.  I have missed the beauty you share with us.  Raphael truly captures humanity with his paintings and it is a pleasure to just sit and view them.

Keep up the great contributions.  Your love for art is shared by many of us.

Shirley

The Perfect Opportunity, Right Place, Right Time !!
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!