Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
the "Hillbilly gardener" - helping others !
7/28/2007 12:10:20 PM
Lyndell (Lerry) Miller here (the "Hillbilly Gardener" to my friends). My background is Mechanical Maintenance as a profession and Gardening and Outdoor Living as a passion and vocation. I have been gardening for 45+ years and have had the oportunity to help many acheive their gardening goals through the years. A couple of years ago, I came to the realization that I could not continue doing what I had always done for the past 35 or so years and I needed to change. The face of maintenance was changing rapidly and becoming more and more technical and a younger persons job. The mentality of "Corporate America" was becoming more and more indifferent and hostile towards those upon who's backs their fortunes were being made and I was to old to continue to play their game. I found myself more and more with an "I-don't-care" attitude and I didn't like it. So I started "dabbling" with different types of work from home ideas.

My real passion was to start another nursery which I loved doing, but the capital required made this an impossibility. As I can't sell $5.00 bills for a "sawbuck" I was a dissmal failure at sales. Many scams and an empty bank account later, I hit upon "Affiliate Marketing". I loved perusing the internet for really neat and unusual "stuff" and figured out that with others being so busy, perhaps it would be nice if I could find the "stuff" for them and present it in a nice and simple website.

As I stated earlier, I can't sell, and don't really like it. But I have finally come to re-realize what I have known all along:
  1. You don't sell products - you sell yourself! With everyone and their uncle "selling" everything from advertising to zingers, and every conceivable form of schiester selling them, one must first sell ones self as one who knows. Then one must sell ones self as one who is honest and forthright.
  2. Building any business takes time, attention and effort. This is a fact that has held true since mankind first entered into business. One must focus and concentrate on one or two things and stick with it untill the business tells you it won't work. I have found that those who jump from one "deal" to another naver achieve their dreams.
  3. While an occasional "prodogy" may come along that will break the rules and become an overnight success, I have found that I would have better odds of striking it rich at Vegas than being one of those. Therefore, I keep working at it one customer and friend at a time.
As stated earlier also, I really enjoy helping others acheive their gardening and outdoor living goals. I have chosen a medium that I also enjoy - a newsletter. We call our newsletter the "Garden of Weedin", which was also the name of our nursery. We enjoy sharing information that is timely, relevant and practical in an interesting format, along with recipes, tips and tricks, readers mail, etc. These are our gardening and outdoor living friends.

It is through this medium that we wish to establish ourselves as experts in our field and gain our readers trust, thereby driving sales built on trust. If I can not do business in an honest and forthright manner - I won't do business at all!

the "Hillbilly Gardener"
Lyndell (Jerry) Miller
(417) 777-2285

plantman.ozarks@yahoo.com

www.jerrysplantsonline.com
the "Hillbilly Gardener"
+0
Re: the "Hillbilly gardener" - helping others !
7/28/2007 6:10:22 PM

Lerry,

It was refreshing reading your post.  I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you have to sell yourself first.  Best of luck with "Garden of Weedin".

Mark

+0