Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
David Ellison

130 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Aid Kids in Crisis
7/21/2007 3:25:04 PM
greal Val :-) Thanks for the invite
+0
7/21/2007 3:25:37 PM
Thanks for helping our future survive.
Providing The Right Fashion David Thrower CEO http://www.activehatsandthings.com
+0
Vel
Vel Am

319 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Replys and where to donate >
7/21/2007 5:09:05 PM

David Thrower thank you > yes our furture is at state, I feel if we don't learn to give then we ourselves lose something inside ourselves of great value.

David Elison > you are very welcome.

Lee thanks for your insight >  I believe it is up to us, each individual, to let the political leaders know what we expect.  They need to know we are watching them, too many people remain silent on key issues and don't tell their political leaders what they feel is needed or how they expect key issues to be addressed. 

Timothy Parrish >  thanks for your support!

Christel  Agnes >  what a good idea, if you can find a parent with a sick child who is willing to accept donations of your product go for it. . .   Wonderful idea.

Marie Vistu >  thank you for your support!  I've noticed you seem to care a lot about kids.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Joseph Handlon had a wonderful question and I wanted to share my answer to him. 

Thank you Joseph, such a good question.

You can't help if you don't know what the problems are and what is needed.   

General information gathering: 

>     Go to or call your local newspaper, child welfare office, church orgainization or other community aid group  to find out what they know about the needs in your local community. 

Choose the Need:

>     Sometimes the needs are so vast and wide spread you are confused about what to do or who to help.  This stops many people from giving.  Don't stop now.

>     Pick one or two "needs".  Pick the need not the organization.   Say you want to help with food needs.  Or furniture needs or finding housing.   Choose that need and focus on it.  

>     Don't let yourself get destracted by other issues, focus on the need you want to help with.  When aid workers get to feeling overwhelmed they are unable to make progress in their area of need. 

>      Don't let yourself get side tracked into helping with every need that comes along or you will fall into burnout fast.  Explain when asked that need is all you are able to do right now.

Choose group to help with need:

>    So you have a need you are going to focus on:  Who needs the need?  Say it is furniture.  Who needs the furniture?  

Low income families, families with new babies, families who provide foster care to foster children in their home, parents getting their kids back from child welfare and are re-establishing a home, moms (or dads) leaving domestic violence with nothing but the kids. 

>    Now you have an opportunity to pick the group whom you want to help: 

kids in foster care, kids leaving foster care;  kids in low income families; families with a newborn(s), families leaving domestic violence, etc.

Who helps that group with the need:

>    Find out which local organization's help each of these groups with the need you have chosen to help with.  

Local "Love In The Name of Christ"?  local church organization?  local county agency?  local state agency?  local Humanitarian Group? 

>     Once you have identified these groups call ALL of them.   Yes,  call all of them to find out how they supply the need.  (If there are more than 5, call 1/2 of them.)   

>     Some organizations may tell you they supply the need by relying on another organiztion, good to know, then call that organization.   There is no reason to provide an organiztion with furniture when they rely on someone else to store and distribute said furniture.

By this time you have a good idea which organization you will be working with to get the need addressed. 

By now you should have:

Picked the Need

Picked the Group to help with the Need

Picked the Organization that supplies the Need to that Group

Way to go, you are 90% there to helping your need group. 

Define Giving / Donation Structue:

Call the organization you picked who provides the need to your need group.      

Ask how they prefer to handle donations of your items?  Are they able to store donated items or would they prefer you keep them until they call you when they have a needy family?  Do they have volunteers to deliver these items?   Do they need trucks, vans, etc donated to help with deliveries?   Do they need someone in good health to lift, carry, etc. 

Ok you are almost done.   Just need to make the donation and you are finished with this one item.

Important things to keep in mind:

Don't volunteer something you are unable to give yourself.   If you can't lift, don't volunteer to do so.  No need to put your health at risk for any reason.  Don't volunteer other peoples time, money, or items.

Many needy families are willing to supply the labor to get the items they need.  If the parents help by picking up the items themselves then they are more receptive of the donation.  Many people in need don't want everything done for them.  Allowing them to have a part helps them keep their dignity. 

Network your Need Group:  If the need is too great and you can't do it on your own; let others know about the need for that group and how the organization accepts donations.

After you have done this process a few times you may decide to expand and add another need or increase the physical area where in you supply help. 

Be sure to get a receipt from the organization you are helping.   Not only for your taxes but this helps you track your giving.   Tracking your giving helps you look at yourself in a better light, it makes you feel really good about yourself.   

Happy Giving!

Vel

- - Matthew 6:33 “Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these [other] things will be added to YOU. 34 So, never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Sufficient for each day is its own badness. .. . . . http://www.presidentialfield.com/abelchat/ Jeremiah 33: 3 ‘Call to me, and I shall answer you and readily tell you great and incomprehensible things that you have not known.’”
+0
Eddie Power

10 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/21/2007 5:17:15 PM
Great cause VelAm. Keep up the great work.
Eddie Power 902-370-2085 edsangels@yahoo.com
+0
Gerry Pira

111 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/21/2007 5:30:00 PM
If this has not been done, I suggest you enlist the support of Rotarians. There are more than 1.2 million in the world and their principal mission is service. (One of their mottos is "Service Above Self.")

I know this because I'm a past president of a Rotary Club and a Paul Harris Fellow and have been actively involved in various charitable projects.

Funds for projects come in various amounts from the Rotary Foundation and fromgenerous Rotarians. It's not difficult to get funds. In most cases, it's just filling up a form and answering 6 questions.

I suggest you connect with other Rotarians in Adlandpro (I'm sure there are) and we'll work together.

Gerry
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!