Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Janet Ravindran

3183 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
What actually is Freedom????
7/13/2007 9:10:14 AM
FREEDOM....

Everybody wants it - Everybody loves it - At least that's what everybody says.
But what is the defination of freedom?Is it the same as democracy?Does freedom give me the right to do anything I want even if it has a bad impact on other people's life?
* Can I say whatever I like irregardless of other people's feelings?
* Can I take whatever I like when visiting somebodies house?
* Can I smoke where ever I want?
* Can I kill somebody only because I don't like that person?
* Can I decide when to shut down live supporting machines or to keep me alive for years as vegtable ?
This are very troublesome questions.I think the truth is, all existing systems of belief and morals are simply not up to the task of clearly defining personal freedom and its limits.
Andrew Galambos,an astrophysicist,came up with a neat definition of freedom. He said:
"Freedom is the societal condition that exists when every individual has full ( 100%) control over his own property."

So, what is property? First of all, everybody is his own property. Your body is your property. Your mind is your property. When you apply your mind to the creation of a physical good, that is your property. When you apply your mind and body to working for someone else, the money you receive in exchange for your effort is your property. When you buy something off someone else, it becomes your property.You could say that property is something like common sense.
Basically for me property rights are human rights!

So does freedom give me the right to do anything I want even if it has a bad impact on other people's life? Moral dilemmas arise when my property rights come up against somebody's. And that could be easily sorted out by reference to exactly whose property is at stake.

Obviously, as my body is my property, then I can smoke whenever I want and it would be nobody's business,unless I smoke in a house without the owners permission.
Freedom is not as easy to explain as it seems at first sight.
So what exactly means freedom for you??????

Albert,may be you want to explain a bit why you created this forum and what freedom means to you. I'm going to post you forum link in my good friend Sam Sunday's forum and hope you could post something there or here in your own forum.
Have a wonderful day,
Janet

+0
Re: What actually is Freedom????
7/14/2007 6:54:58 AM

Thanks so much , are u in Petaling jaya ?

U must b the Janet that tried to chat with me ?

FREE is a catchy world that draws attention  ! FREEDOM means differnt things to different people ....I would settle down soon to xplore & xpress ...what strikes me is your DEVOTION in writing an expression ...congratulations to U as the weekly winner!!!!

Really looking forwrd to meeting you!

ALBERT CHONG
+0
Re: What actually is Freedom????
7/15/2007 4:50:31 AM
Freedom is a very powerful word, here we have freedom of expression. The Internet allows many people liberation or freedom from terrestrial restrictions. Some countries are still trying hard to stop the freedom offered by the net. Now it is possible for people in remote areas such as  the jungles in Guatemala to talk to people from around the world for free.

Look at how many schools have embraced the Internet, allowing students to find out what it is like to live in another country.

I have gained financial freedom by years of hard work but the world is changing and now it is possible to become financially free in a matter of months.

I enjoy my freedom doing what I want when I want and How I want and I am always willing to help other  active the same.
David Ogden http://10kper-week.com Skype seadogs11 Get free leads for life http://david_ogden.freeffas.com
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!