Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Bogdan Fiedur

4624 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
A ship ought not to be held by one anchor
6/20/2007 1:57:26 PM

"A ship ought not to be held by one anchor, nor life by a single hope."

-- Epictetus, Philosopher

Be a victor not a victim. Simply be responsible for what happensin your life.
Truth can only be found by those who have the humility to consider what they do not prefer.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn | Tumblr | My Blog

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: A ship ought not to be held by one anchor
6/20/2007 3:02:11 PM

Well, Bogdan, I have to admit that I have not heard of Epictetus before.  However, he speaks the truth.  Holding out for one single hope would be somewhat depressing for me, and I suppose for most others as well.

Thanks for a marvelous quote!

Judy

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/20/2007 4:08:14 PM
Hello Bogdan,

On my part, I don't fully agree with Epictetus on this one. There have been many cases where a soaring hope helped sustain a life. The hope to reach a lofty goal, for instance, or for some wrong to be corrected, like Columbus hoping to succeed in reaching what he believed to be the land of spices by going West or to be rehabilitated by the Spanish Crown later on.

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/21/2007 12:22:10 AM

Hello Bogdan

Epictetus
(
55-135)

Even though he was born a slave in Hierapolis and endured a permanent physical disability, Epictetus held that all human beings are perfectly free to control their lives and to live in harmony with nature. After intense study of the traditional Stoic curriculum (established by Zeno of Citium and Chrysippus) of logic, physics, and ethics, Epictetus spent his entire career teaching philosophy and promoting a daily regime of rigorous self-examination. He eventually gained his freedom, but was exiled from Rome by Domitian in 89.

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!